Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Votto on WLW now

Re: Votto on WLW now

"It’s equally shocking that Joey Votto gets as little respect as he does in Cincinnati. Votto has an offensive résumé that dwarfs even Mauer’s, but like Mauer, Votto is derided for failing to generate enough power even though he was second on the team in home runs, second in isolated power, and first in slugging percentage last season. He’s also knocked for being too passive at the plate, though he’s around league-average at swinging at pitches in the zone; he’s earned that reputation for passivity thanks to swinging at pitches outside the zone less frequently than anyone else in baseball. Well, Ted Williams took crap for that, too. (Plus, it’s been a while, but I’m pretty sure my Little League coach told me not to swing at pitches outside the strike zone. If he lied to me and I had that backward all along, it might explain why I was such a terrible baseball player.)"
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/jo...-heyward-hate/
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Likes:

Chip R (02-27-2014),Gapper (02-27-2014),HeatherC1212 (02-28-2014),Larkin Fan (03-24-2014),membengal (03-04-2014),villain612 (03-21-2014),wheels (02-27-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Wow, that article is fantastic. I actually did not know that Mauer is reviled by some in Minneapolis. It's a relief to know that Cincinnati fans aren't alone in this, I guess, though it would be easier if people chose not to be willfully dumb.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Ken Dryden and Bill Bradley say Hi... oddly enough both penned great books
    Well, Bill Bradley ran for president. He was pretty much an anomaly in the sports world or any world. And, of course, we all know that Joey Votto sadly can never run for president.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Michael Bauman is one heck of a writer.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

7. Likes:

dougdirt (02-27-2014)

Votto joined McAlister again tonight.

Votto on Hamilton:
    Lance McAlister ‏@LanceMcAlister 18m
    "I have not said this publicly, but if Billy Hamilton learns to walk, he could be an MVP candidate"-Joey, 700 WLW #Reds #Wow
    Lance McAlister ‏@LanceMcAlister 17m
    "He's a living, breathing run,"--Votto on Billy #Reds 700 WLW
    Lance McAlister ‏@LanceMcAlister 12m
    "But there is something about the regular season, and being asked to do it every at-bat, when teams know you." Votto on Billy #Reds
    Lance McAlister ‏@LanceMcAlister 12m
    "I hold my breath when I say this, but he's done amazing stuff on the ballfield. He's as good D in CF, as I've ever seen,"-Votto on Billy
    Votto on Chapman:
    Lance McAlister ‏@LanceMcAlister 16m
    said he got text from Bruce about Chapman injury (day off) "It was crazy, when Jay said game was called, I knew it was serious" #Reds
    Lance McAlister ‏@LanceMcAlister 18m
    Joey and Jay went hospital to check in on Chapman. #Reds
    Random:
    Lance McAlister ‏@LanceMcAlister 6m
    Votto met Bob Knight and Tony LaRussa today. Says he took his hat off to meet BK, did not for LaRussa......Tony said, "What the.....
    Lance McAlister ‏@LanceMcAlister 5m
    ....heck? Joey said, "You were a Cardinal, and we hate you," (joking) LaRussa laughed. "I have the utmost respect for Tony" -Votto

9. Likes:

Degenerate39 (03-21-2014),HeatherC1212 (03-26-2014),klw (03-21-2014),Slyder (03-21-2014),terminator (03-21-2014),Tom Servo (03-21-2014)

"I have no motivation to fill out a bracket. I mean, I don't need one billion dollars, I'm already a quarter of the way there." When Lance asked Joey if he's had time to watch any hoops and if he filled out a bracket.

11. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (03-26-2014),klw (03-21-2014)

Haunted by walks

I'm glad Votto is a big fan of Hamilton. Last thing we need is people saying that Votto is uncomfortable with Hamilton trying to run during his at-bats.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Wow, that article is fantastic. I actually did not know that Mauer is reviled by some in Minneapolis. It's a relief to know that Cincinnati fans aren't alone in this, I guess, though it would be easier if people chose not to be willfully dumb.
    Unfortunate personal anecdote.

My father has been a die hard Cincinnati Reds fan for over 4 decades. He grew up in Cincinnati watching the Big Red Machine teams, so his fan credentials run pretty deep. He's a bit sour on Votto as well. Probably in the Brennaman camp - more old school thinking about RBI's and hitting 40 HR's a year if you're making that much money.

I concede Votto's 2013 was subpar for a Votto-style year, but he's one of the top 5 pure hitters in baseball IMO and the SABR numbers back that up.
    Depending on how bad his decline years are, he could be the top 2 or 3 best Cincinnati Reds hitter of all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

Lance McAlister ‏@LanceMcAlister 17m
    Votto played a game, jumped in his car, and called in to spend 45-minutes on Sports Talk. Here is the podcast. http://www.espn1530.com/onair/lance-...orts-12179779/ … #Reds

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I'm glad Votto is a big fan of Hamilton. Last thing we need is people saying that Votto is uncomfortable with Hamilton trying to run during his at-bats.
    Turns out Votto says this week it does bother him. But he says if it makes the team better, too bad for him, he's got to figure it out.

To me it sounds like he's gearing up to punish the ball harder this year. His off season philosophical tone about his approach being adequate and maybe slightly effected by his injury and perhaps just luck has turned into a more hungry sounding tone that wants to focus on hitting the pitches in certain spots in the zone that will result in bigger results. So he's looking to swing less in the zone but hitting the ball harder. Go Votto!

Turn Off Ads?