Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: The Reds are not a contending team.

Re: The Reds are not a contending team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That plagued Brandon for a long time.
    Yes, but I believe he had off season surgery.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Yes, but I believe he had off season surgery.
    I said in a post about Brandon's contract that I think his drop of 50 points in OPS last season over the year before had more to do with this injury we're speaking about than natural age regression. I see him bouncing back from his .706 OPS from last season, not quite reaching the .750 he had in 2012, but getting awful close to it, hovering around .743, give or take seven points.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    You had a lot of players last year with bad years and who suffered from injury. If everyone's healthy(that's really the question), we'll have a chance to make the playoffs again.
    Yes, they were bad, but we can't just say, "Oh, it's because they weren't healthy". We weren't the only team to deal with injuries last year.

The fact is not one position player had a "career" year in 2013, except maybe Choo. A lot of the guys who had off years are in the 26-28 yr age and could be due for a breakout season. Even a guy like Cozart could surprise people. I'm excited for this season. The Reds have a better chance of winning with homegrown talent like Frazier, mesoraco, and Cozart than chasing after free agents, or trading away starting pitching.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-04-2014), Old school 1983 (02-04-2014), _Sir_Charles_ (02-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    The fact is not one position player had a "career" year in 2013, except maybe Choo. A lot of the guys who had off years are in the 26-28 yr age and could be due for a breakout season. Even a guy like Cozart could surprise people. I'm excited for this season. The Reds have a better chance of winning with homegrown talent like Frazier, mesoraco, and Cozart than chasing after free agents, or trading away starting pitching.
    My thoughts exactly. Let's see what we have with our own guys and fill in the blanks with pieces outside the organization or the minors as the season goes on instead of trying to preceive holes in advance and then spend to fill those holes, and in the end maybe learning that the money would have been better spent elsewhere.

Really most if the moves I see suggested are for guys that very well may not be better than the guys we already have. Let's see who steps up and who doesn't and go from there with questions answered instead of guessing before hand and perhaps guessing wrong.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 02-04-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Count me on board the homegrown train. I love guys like Frazier, Hamilton and Cozart (though I'm not as optimistic about him). I also really, really want to keep Bailey.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

The Reds actually have a chance to be better but if that chance were any slimmer it would be translucent. That chance is everyone taking a better approach to the plate. If that doesn't happen expect pain.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    The Reds actually have a chance to be better but if that chance were any slimmer it would be translucent. That chance is everyone taking a better approach to the plate. If that doesn't happen expect pain.
    I'm anxious to see what effect, if any, Don Long has on our batters. Some suggest that hitting coaches don't really make a big difference, but I like what little I've read of his philosophy. From an article I posted in the Coaching Staff thread, he talked about not giving any pitch away. Elsewhere, in a Pirates blog back when he was hired from Philadelphia, he's quoted as saying, "When [a batter] steps up to home plate, hes ready to hit every pitch until his eyes tell him no. He has to see the ball and recognize where its going before he actually goes after it." Long referred to it as creating "an aggressive but under control hitter."

Ten days until spring training. Come on, hurry up and get here!
    In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either. - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?