Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who will be Opening Day starter?

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: Who will be Opening Day starter?

Latos' injury puts a new light on the situation. You'd have to think Cueto now has the inside track for sure.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Homer Bailey with his brand new contract.

4. Likes:

mth123 (02-15-2014),Red Raindog (02-14-2014),Redlegs (02-14-2014)

I'd give the ball to Homer.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...y-starter-tba/

GOODYEAR, Ariz. — Bryan Price was asked the annual Opening Day starter question this morning.

He dodged it a bit, but it sounds like he’d be happy with Johnny Cueto, Mat Latos or Homer Bailey. Cueto has started the last two Opening Days.

“For me personally, I love Johnny at the top of our rotation. There are other guys I’d be really happy with as well. But I want to make sure they’re healthy.”

Latos, unless he is not stretched out to seven innings by the end of ST. Cueto if not.

If the issue is simply picking the best pitcher, then I think that it's just an issue of health. A healthy Cueto is the best pitcher. His stuff is very good, but I believe his pitching IQ sets him apart. I think of Cueto's style being in the vein of Greg Maddux. He might pitch the entire first six innings in the 91-93 mph range, mixing up everything and not really going for strikeouts as much as bad contact; and then in the 7th inning flip to a power pitcher and blow a 96mph fastball by the hitter.

I love Bailey as a #3, but from a consistency standpoint I wouldn't even want to rely on him as a #2, little alone the #1. I fully understand that Bailey has thrown 2 no-hitters; but when Cueto has been healthy, I think he's just been much more reliably good day-in-and-day-out.

Turn Off Ads?