Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burnett will pitch in 2014 - wants to test the market

Re: Burnett will pitch in 2014 - wants to test the market

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I put zero effort into my currency conversion there, I admit.

If I'm not mistaken, Burnett led eligible starters or was near the top in k/9 last year at his age. I'm not expecting a major dropoff at all.
    If i didn't have the little calculator icon on my task bar I would have taken your word for it

Yeah, he was 4th overall and 1st in the NL and that includes ineligible starters.

ac is much quicker than me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    Slimy, maybe. Smart, definitely.

I'm still confused as to why the Pirates didn't extend one anyway.

What's the worst that could have happened? He accepts the QO and pitches one season at a discount from 2013?
    Have to wonder if that will affect the offers he gets. His own team didn't think he was worth a one year deal at $14M.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Have to wonder if that will affect the offers he gets. His own team didn't think he was worth a one year deal at $14M.
    I think it's less a matter of them thinking he wasn't worth it and more of them being confident he'd retire - especially given his dissatisfaction when not being selected to pitch game 5 of the NLDS.

I think it's less a matter of them thinking he wasn't worth it and more of them being confident he'd retire - especially given his dissatisfaction when not being selected to pitch game 5 of the NLDS.
    I think the Pirates didn't have the money to pay him $14 Million. He was making more last year but the Yankees were paying a little more than half. $14 Million would have been about a $6 Million increase in Pirate Cash out the door.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think the Pirates didn't have the money to pay him $14 Million. He was making more last year but the Yankees were paying a little more than half. $14 Million would have been about a $6 Million increase in Pirate Cash out the door.
    Not if they deferred salary.

In order to fit Burnett into the Pirates' budget, MLB.com's Tom Singer proposes that the Bucs should offer Burnett a one-year, $17MM contract for 2014. Of that sum, $10MM would be deferred, which Singer feels is a win-win for both sides --- the Pirates can keep their payroll in check, while Burnett gets to remain in a comfortable situation while still accepting a market-value contract.

That still seems like a lot of salary for them. Maybe they're hoping Wandy will give them enough innings before Taillon is ready and use the Burnett money on a bat at first.

Quote Originally Posted by yadontSabo View Post
    That still seems like a lot of salary for them. Maybe they're hoping Wandy will give them enough innings before Taillon is ready and use the Burnett money on a bat at first.
    What bat at first is out there, if it's not Kendrys Morales (who's tied to draft pick compensation).

I still think they should have just done the smart thing and gave Burnett a QO.

What bat at first is out there, if it's not Kendrys Morales (who's tied to draft pick compensation).

I still think they should have just done the smart thing and gave Burnett a QO.
    I'm not sure where they're going to acquire that bat I just know they are definitely lacking there not to mention their offense as a whole.

I agree the QO to Burnett was the right thing to do especially because he's pretty valuable now with no draft pick tied to him and the fact that he will most likely be willing to sign a short term deal. But I definitely think hindsight is helping me with that opinion.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Arroyo and Burnett have nothing close to a similar profile.

Burnett strikes out a ton more. Burnett walks a ton more. Arroyo gives up homers a ton more.

But, they both are pitchers who happened to pitch in the NL Central, went to the playoffs and are free agents still.... so they do have those things in common.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Arroyo and Burnett have nothing close to a similar profile.

Burnett strikes out a ton more. Burnett walks a ton more. Arroyo gives up homers a ton more.

But, they both are pitchers who happened to pitch in the NL Central, went to the playoffs and are free agents still.... so they do have those things in common.
    I guess I should have clarified. They're the same age, they're both highly durable, and contractually, they'll probably get similar deals. That's the profile i was drawing similarities between.

I pointed out the statistic differences that you pointed out... so I guess... thanks for rehashing that.

Are you trying to say he's more attractive to the Reds because he's a ground ball pitcher? Because I conceded that several posts ago too. That doesn't mean the Reds are any more likely to sign him to a deal that they're not willing to sign Arroyo to - which is what I was trying to point out.

They could probably do that if it doesn't wreck the out years, but can a QO have such a deferral attached? I thought a QO was for a straight 1 year deal, but don't really know.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?