Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Keith Law Top 100

Re: Keith Law Top 100

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    You've got some nerve showing your face here, Keith.
    KLW does not stand for Keith Law Wins! or does it? '

Did Law really just say Yorman may be a top-25 in baseball prospect in the next year? That kinda of blows a hole in my prior assessment of a bias.
    Last edited by klw; 01-31-2014 at 05:43 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not really because at the time, there probably weren't pitchers better than Latos on the market, even for a package like that.

And looking back doesn't so us much good since the Reds 3 traded prospects (and Volquez) and got back a Major Leaguer. Yes, Alonso has been in the Majors ever since, but the rest of that haul hasn't been and is still in the process of making things happen.

Looking at BRef WAR, Yasmani Grandal was worth 2.7 wins all by himself in half of a season in 2012. Yonder Alonso was worth 1.4 in 2012. So together, they provided 4.1 WAR. In 2012, Mat Latos provided 4.3 WAR.

It really isn't some clear cut "Reds easily won" looking back thing. Grandal has his own set of issues, mainly health and that PED thing, and he is going to have to rebound. But let's not get ahead of ourselves with your analysis.

Side note, I would still pull the trigger on that trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday and I have felt that way since the day that it happened.
    Completely agree.

I loved the deal when they made it. As Chuckie said, Latos was an inexpensive, on the rise #2 with #1 upside SP. Those kind if guys are the most valuable commodities in baseball IMO.

The only guy I was upset in losing in that deal was Grandal. Switch hitting catchers that can actually hit don't come around very often, although that feeling of being upset over losing him has tempered some with his issues. I was never big on Alonzo, guys like Boxberger are generally replaced pretty easily, although I think he could be a closer down the road, and I think we can all agree that Volquez has been awful since the first half of 2008.

Latos is a damn good pitcher, and if you want quality, you generally have to give quality in return. I'll be happy if Stephenson has the same success once he arrives.

Reds are winning the Latos trade because They aren't serious contenders for the division in 2012 and 2013 without Latos. He's was a missing piece that helped out them over the top.

Add in that Latos will be helping the Reds contend for the next two years, and it likely will be a slam dunk in favor of the Reds.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Reds are winning the Latos trade because They aren't serious contenders for the division in 2012 and 2013 without Latos. He's was a missing piece that helped out them over the top.

Add in that Latos will be helping the Reds contend for the next two years, and it likely will be a slam dunk in favor of the Reds.
    So if they included Billy Hamilton and Robert Stephenson in that trade as well, they would still be winning it because Latos put us over the top?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So if they included Billy Hamilton and Robert Stephenson in that trade as well, they would still be winning it because Latos put us over the top?
    My bad, I should have added that what they gave up, wasn't going to help them contend... ever.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    My bad, I should have added that what they gave up, wasn't going to help them contend... ever.
    I like the Latos trade. I'm glad Walt made it. I'd be happy to see him do it again. But I think it is way premature to make this statement. Even if we assume the Reds would never find a place for Alonso to play, it still turns on the relative value of Grandal vs. Mesoraco and we'll have to see how that one turns out.

8. Likes:

redsfandan (02-01-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I like the Latos trade. I'm glad Walt made it. I'd be happy to see him do it again. But I think it is way premature to make this statement. Even if we assume the Reds would never find a place for Alonso to play, it still turns on the relative value of Grandal vs. Mesoraco and we'll have to see how that one turns out.
    Well, I'm biased, because I never, ever, ever, ever want to have a known PED user on the Reds roster... like ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    Went out of his way to rip the Latos trade and say it was "clearly" in the Padres' favor.

How's that sounding now, Keith?

Seriously, the guy is a complete tool. The only thing that's worse than his lack of knowledge is his completely condescending attitude. Also has a very poor writing style.

Other than that, I love the guy!
    Law used to post on the rec.sports.baseball newsgroup before he became a "celebrity". He's mild now compared to what he was back then I guess that short stint with the major league club he was at humbled him a bit. But yea, he's still super cocky, condescending and can't admit that he's wrong.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Stat geek...and proud

I'm going to defend Law a bit. His podcast is very good. I don't read his articles much though.

Turn Off Ads?