Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54

Thread: Keith Law Top 100

  1. #31
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,778

    Re: Keith Law Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Keith Law loves him some Keith Law.

    That's about all you need to know on this discussion.
    (Lawgic)Stephenson should at least be a solid #4 starter like Harang was back in his prime.(Lawgic)

  2. Likes:

    Patrick Bateman (01-30-2014)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #32
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,090

    Re: Keith Law Top 100

    While I stated my thoughts on Law and the Reds earlier, I have never had an impression of him about other teams. Is he maybe someone who downplays things in general? While I have the opinion of how he has viewed the Reds, I have respected him enough to bother to try to read his stuff.

  5. #33
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    890

    Re: Keith Law Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    While I stated my thoughts on Law and the Reds earlier, I have never had an impression of him about other teams. Is he maybe someone who downplays things in general? While I have the opinion of how he has viewed the Reds, I have respected him enough to bother to try to read his stuff.
    You've got some nerve showing your face here, Keith.
    Choo got it, dude.

  6. Likes:

    Superdude (01-30-2014)

  7. #34
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Keith Law Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    Went out of his way to rip the Latos trade and say it was "clearly" in the Padres' favor.

    How's that sounding now, Keith?

    Seriously, the guy is a complete tool. The only thing that's worse than his lack of knowledge is his completely condescending attitude. Also has a very poor writing style.

    Other than that, I love the guy!
    Found the original article regarding Latos. Never said anything like was stated here. Insider info so will not post in entirety but here is Law's closing statement.

    The Reds didn't give up much they'll miss in the short term and get four years of a staff ace to pitch in front of a solid rotation that lacked a No. 1 starter.

  8. Likes:

    camisadelgolf (01-30-2014)

  9. #35
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,838

    Re: Keith Law Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Found the original article regarding Latos. Never said anything like was stated here. Insider info so will not post in entirety but here is Law's closing statement.
    Ya, I believe it was Bowden who made the comments people think Law made.

  10. #36
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: Keith Law Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Ya, I believe it was Bowden who made the comments people think Law made.
    Good call.

    Jim Bowden says that the trade sending Mat Latos from the Padres to the Reds for four players could end up being MLB's version of the Herschel Walker trade.

  11. #37
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,159

    Re: Keith Law Top 100

    Jim Bowden says that the trade sending Mat Latos from the Padres to the Reds for four players could end up being MLB's version of the Herschel Walker trade.
    Or like the Denny Neagle trade.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  12. #38
    Member New Fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    772

    Re: Keith Law Top 100

    Reds Top 10:



    Player, POS (Top 100 rank)
    1. Robert Stephenson, RHP (29)
    2. Billy Hamilton, CF (52)
    3. Phil Ervin, OF
    4. Jesser Winker, OF
    5. Yorman Rodriguez, OF
    6. Michael Lorenzen, RHP
    7. Nick Travieso, RHP
    8. Daniel Corcino, RHP
    9. Chad Rogers, LHP
    10. Jackson Stephens, RHP


    Sleeper

    Jackson Stephens is a classic find from scouting director Chris Buckley, a high school quarterback from Alabama who's blessed with a great arm, sitting 94-98, but still learning the art of pitching, like changing speeds and working with his secondary stuff.

  13. #39
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,072

    Re: Keith Law Top 100

    If Jackson Stephens sat 94-98 then Robert Stephenson sat 102-107 because someone had a broken radar gun.

  14. Likes:

    mdccclxix (01-31-2014)

  15. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Flipadelphia
    Posts
    4,108

    Re: Keith Law Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    Reds Top 10:



    Player, POS (Top 100 rank)
    1. Robert Stephenson, RHP (29)
    2. Billy Hamilton, CF (52)
    3. Phil Ervin, OF
    4. Jesser Winker, OF
    5. Yorman Rodriguez, OF
    6. Michael Lorenzen, RHP
    7. Nick Travieso, RHP
    8. Daniel Corcino, RHP
    9. Chad Rogers, LHP
    10. Jackson Stephens, RHP


    Sleeper

    Jackson Stephens is a classic find from scouting director Chris Buckley, a high school quarterback from Alabama who's blessed with a great arm, sitting 94-98, but still learning the art of pitching, like changing speeds and working with his secondary stuff.

    If that's from Law, it makes me feel icky about being a big fan of Stephens too.

  16. #41
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,072

    Re: Keith Law Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    If that's from Law, it makes me feel icky about being a big fan of Stephens too.
    If I say that I am a Jackson Stephens fan does it make it less icky?

  17. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Flipadelphia
    Posts
    4,108

    Re: Keith Law Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If I say that I am a Jackson Stephens fan does it make it less icky?
    It wouldn't make it more icky.

    Law stamp is a hard one to overcome.

  18. #43
    Member Chuckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    750

    Re: Keith Law Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am with Law on his assessment of the Latos trade. Almost.

    If a team other than the Reds traded those same prospects for Latos, it was an insane overpay. But the Reds, unlike just about anyone else, had better options than all of those guys so trading them didn't matter as much to them as it would have to someone else who didn't have Devin Mesoraco and Joey Votto on their teams. On a straight up talent for talent trade, the Reds gave up way more than they got back. But trades don't work that way because the Reds were never going to use Alonso or Grandal.
    Using that logic, the Reds could have taken the same players they traded for Latos, but instead of trading for Latos they could have traded for an even better pitcher. However, it doesn't work that way. Latos was/is a young, rising pitching star and that was the price it took to get him. And looking back, the Reds completely fleeced the Pads. Even if the Reds didn't have Votto/Mes right now, they still would have won the trade. Course, they never would have done the trade in the first place, but the point of the matter is the Reds won that trade by a landslide.

    I've been critical of Jocketty, but I think he was going to hold those chips (Grandal/Alonso) until he felt he found equal or better value. He finally did with Latos. It wasn't a matter of "Oh, we have a logjam at first and catcher, I'm going to take the first decent offer I get." I'm sure he was shopping them around for quite some time during the 2011-12 offseason, but wasn't going to let them go unless he found a great deal like the one he did with Latos.
    Last edited by Chuckie; 01-31-2014 at 02:33 PM.

  19. #44
    Member Chuckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    750

    Re: Keith Law Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Found the original article regarding Latos. Never said anything like was stated here. Insider info so will not post in entirety but here is Law's closing statement.
    My fault. Not sure why I thought that was Law and not Leatherpants.

  20. #45
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,072

    Re: Keith Law Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    Using that logic, the Reds could have taken the same players they traded for Latos, but instead of trading for Latos they could have traded for an even better pitcher. However, it doesn't work that way. Latos was/is a young, rising pitching star and that was the price it took to get him. And looking back, the Reds completely fleeced the Pads. Even if the Reds didn't have Votto/Mes right now, they still would have won the trade. Course, they never would have done the trade in the first place, but the point of the matter is the Reds won that trade by a landslide.

    I've been critical of Jocketty, but I think he was going to hold those chips (Grandal/Alonso) until he felt he found equal or better value. He finally did with Latos. It wasn't a matter of "Oh, we have a logjam at first and catcher, I'm going to take the first decent offer I get." I'm sure he was shopping them around for quite some time during the 2011-12 offseason, but wasn't going to let them go unless he found a great deal like the one he did with Latos.
    Not really because at the time, there probably weren't pitchers better than Latos on the market, even for a package like that.

    And looking back doesn't so us much good since the Reds 3 traded prospects (and Volquez) and got back a Major Leaguer. Yes, Alonso has been in the Majors ever since, but the rest of that haul hasn't been and is still in the process of making things happen.

    Looking at BRef WAR, Yasmani Grandal was worth 2.7 wins all by himself in half of a season in 2012. Yonder Alonso was worth 1.4 in 2012. So together, they provided 4.1 WAR. In 2012, Mat Latos provided 4.3 WAR.

    It really isn't some clear cut "Reds easily won" looking back thing. Grandal has his own set of issues, mainly health and that PED thing, and he is going to have to rebound. But let's not get ahead of ourselves with your analysis.

    Side note, I would still pull the trigger on that trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday and I have felt that way since the day that it happened.

  21. Likes:

    Farnsie (01-31-2014), HokieRed (01-31-2014)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25