Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronson Arroyo signed with Arizona Diamondbacks.

Re: Bronson Arroyo says he hasn't received a single offer

Arroyo has been worth a grand total of 1.7 WAR over the last 3 years. Last year we were a 90 win team and he was worth 0.8.

This team will not miss him, especially at GABP. I don't have anything against him, but there are much better pitchers out there for this team including the ones already on the roster.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

2. Likes:

bigredmechanism (02-06-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (02-06-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Arroyo would be great to have. But the team couldn't manage a single upgrade on offense. How can they justify giving a $20 million contract to a sixth starting pitcher?

If money is there for Arroyo, use it for the offense.

5. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    How can they justify giving a $20 million contract to a sixth starting pitcher?
    They can't.

Even if they countered it by making it 3 years @ $24M (Arroyo seeks $22M for 2 years, so why would he do that anyway?), it just seems to like too much. Yeah, he had a great season, but you know, everyone is just waiting for him to fall off the edge of the cliff, and thus the refusal of teams to offer 3 years.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Arroyo would be great to have. But the team couldn't manage a single upgrade on offense. How can they justify giving a $20 million contract to a sixth starting pitcher?

If money is there for Arroyo, use it for the offense.
    Or, they could have signed Arroyo and traded another pitcher for offense.

But, that ship has likely sailed.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Or, they could have signed Arroyo and traded another pitcher for offense.

But, that ship has likely sailed.
    I thinking trading any of the others for offense, outside of Latos, wouldn't have brought back the immediate help as some would think. And I don't think trading Latos is in the team's best interest.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I thinking trading any of the others for offense, outside of Latos, wouldn't have brought back the immediate help as some would think. And I don't think trading Latos is in the team's best interest.
    I think the Reds handled the pitching appropriately. No complaints there. Arroyo was a luxury, they needed to make room for Tony C, they did protect themselves to some extent with Holmberg, Wang, etc. And Stephenson could emerge as ready during the year.

The way I look at it, the Reds' pitching is still quite good, it's defense is excellent, this is the price of admission into playoff contention. They have that.

But to win the division or be a clear playoff team, with a win total, say, in the high eighties or better, I would have liked to see a bit more offense. Now I view them as having a decent shot, no more than that.

10. Likes:

CySeymour (02-06-2014)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Arroyo has been worth a grand total of 1.7 WAR over the last 3 years. Last year we were a 90 win team and he was worth 0.8.

This team will not miss him, especially at GABP. I don't have anything against him, but there are much better pitchers out there for this team including the ones already on the roster.
    I agree. Bronson was a very good Red, and the trade of Wily Mo for him was the beginning of the team really improving. It's time to move on, though. Cingrani is a better option for us on a few different levels.

He's a good guy, and I hope he gets paid very well by some club. I'll root for him so hard when we're not playing against him, as he's become one of my favorite players. His game 2 performance in 2012 was downright awesome. It's a shame we couldn't have gone further in the postseason with him, but at this point it is what it is.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

12. Likes:

joshua (02-08-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (02-06-2014),Revering4Blue (02-06-2014)

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/mlb/baseball

Arroyo lowers asking price: 2 years, $22 mil

According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, Bronson Arroyo is no longer demanding a three-year deal.
    The veteran right-hander is now seeking something closer to two years at $22 million. The Diamondbacks, Dodgers and Orioles are believed to be the primary contenders for Arroyo, who posted a 3.79 ERA and 1.15 WHIP in 32 starts last season for the Reds and has been the most durable pitcher in baseball over the past nine years. He should be signing a contract soon.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    I agree. Bronson was a very good Red, and the trade of Wily Mo for him was the beginning of the team really improving.
    You mean good pitching is better than good hitting (even when it is a 5-tooler lol)? Bronson was not great and some might say was not "good". But he played a vital role on those playoff bound teams. Pitching, pitching, pitching. He always made me nervous. Felt like he was going to implode at any time. But many times he left me shaking my head and saying, "How can these MLB hitters not crush him?" So glad as a fan he played for our fav team. Decent person as well and seemed to be a good guy in the clubhouse.

15. Likes:

bigredmechanism (02-07-2014)

https://twitter.com/EddieInTheYard

O's Insider blog: Orioles continue to pursue free-agent right-hander Bronson Arroyo: Club signs first... http://bsun.md/1l33nQr #Orioles

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    You mean good pitching is better than good hitting (even when it is a 5-tooler lol)?
    Always has been.

For the record I was against the trade mainly because I hate white people with corn rows. He is okay though.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post

Stats like these are never team specific. It assumes that a team has a replacement level pitcher ready. Let's say our Reds encounter some injury issues to their starting rotation this year and we're left with the choice of Arroyo or Greg Reynolds. I guarantee over a 150 games Arroyo's worth more than 0.8 wins

19. Likes:

joshua (02-08-2014),REDREAD (02-07-2014),wlf WV (02-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Stats like these are never team specific. It assumes that a team has a replacement level pitcher ready. Let's say our Reds encounter some injury issues to their starting rotation this year and we're left with the choice of Arroyo or Greg Reynolds. I guarantee over a 150 games Arroyo's worth more than 0.8 wins
    Arroyo's gonna appear in over 150 games? I know he has a rubber arm, but that seems to be a bit of a stretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

21. Likes:

CmdrCody (02-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    In your specific example you are assuming Reynolds is a 0.0 WAR pitcher over 30 games. I don't agree with that premise.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Arroyo's gonna appear in over 150 games? I know he has a rubber arm, but that seems to be a bit of a stretch.
    I think he means over the time frame allotted for the cumulative 1.7war over 3 years.

1.8 wins above replacement over 3 years,if true, makes me pause,no stop, at war.A lot of things to evaluate to get the truth.

There are no amount of numbers thrown at any angle to make me believe that Arroyo was only 1.7 wins above replacement for the last 3 cumulative years.
    Last edited by wlf WV; 02-07-2014 at 02:35 PM.
    May the Lord bless

24. Likes:

REDREAD (02-07-2014)

Turn Off Ads?