Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronson Arroyo signed with Arizona Diamondbacks.

Re: Bronson Arroyo says he hasn't received a single offer

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    I think he means over the time frame allotted for the cumulative 1.7war over 3 years.

1.8 wins above replacement over 3 years,if true, makes me pause,no stop, at war.A lot of things to evaluate to get the truth.

There are no amount of numbers thrown at any angle to make me believe that Arroyo was only 1.7 wins above replacement for the last 3 cumulative years.
    I think people are overlooking what replacement level is.

Last year among others Lucas Harrell, Roy Halladay, Barry Zito, and Ryan Vogelsong were below replacement level.

Find a true 0.0 WAR replacement level pitcher over 30 starts and yeah, Arroyo probably is only about a win better than them over a season.

Now there is a bit of uniqueness with Arroyo so I'd allow a bit of give with his numbers, but let's not make him into something he wasn't.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I think people are overlooking what replacement level is.

Last year among others Lucas Harrell, Roy Halladay, Barry Zito, and Ryan Vogelsong were below replacement level.

Find a true 0.0 WAR replacement level pitcher over 30 starts and yeah, Arroyo probably is only about a win better than them over a season.

Now there is a bit of uniqueness with Arroyo so I'd allow a bit of give with his numbers, but let's not make him into something he wasn't.
    I think replacement level varies greatly from team to team. The Yankees seem to use teams like the Royals and Astros to replace their players that get hurt, while teams like the Reds can only use whoever is at AAA. And whoever is at AAA for the Reds varies itself greatly from year to year.

I understand how the theoretical replacement level player works for WAR, and it works to provide a very broad, general baseline. However, it doesn't truly reflect how valuable an individual player actually is to his specific team.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

4. Likes:

OGB (02-10-2014),Old school 1983 (02-07-2014),Sea Ray (02-07-2014)

I think he means over the time frame allotted for the cumulative 1.7war over 3 years.

1.8 wins above replacement over 3 years,if true, makes me pause,no stop, at war.A lot of things to evaluate to get the truth.

There are no amount of numbers thrown at any angle to make me believe that Arroyo was only 1.7 wins above replacement for the last 3 cumulative years.
    The big problem WAR has in regards to evaluating Arroyo's value, is that Arroyo has consistently out performed his FIP his entire career. I think at this point, a rational assumption can be made that Arroyo is one of those pitchers whose ERA is more reflective of his value and production than his FIP. That means he's likely worth much more than what WAR says.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

6. Likes:

Chuckie (02-07-2014)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Arroyo to D-Backs, says Ken Rosenthal.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Bronson will love pitching out west in some of those giant parks. Good for him.

Good for Bronson. Should be a good fit for him out west. 2 years $19 mil (with an $11 mil option) is no chump change.

2 years $23.5M guaranteed - $9.5M in 2014 and 2015 with an $11M option for 2016 and $4.5M buyout.

So wait, should we have made him a qualifying offer?
    Go BLUE!!!

Didn't see the $4.5 mil buyout on the option at first. $23.5 mil for 2 years is even less chump change.

BA got a much better deal than I expected.

While I was against a qualifying offer, based on this contract, the $14 million for one year would have been about market price.

Shows that (assuming the Reds had the money to spend) the qualifying offer decision was a close call on its merits.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-07-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    BA got a much better deal than I expected.

While I was against a qualifying offer, based on this contract, the $14 million for one year would have been about market price.

Shows that (assuming the Reds had the money to spend) the qualifying offer decision was a close call on its merits.
    If they HAD made a qualifying offer:
    1. Arroyo would not have got such a good deal since signing team would lose a pick.
    2. Arroyo likely would have accepted that offer.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

14. Likes:

CmdrCody (02-08-2014),Edd Roush (02-07-2014),mth123 (02-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    If they HAD made a qualifying offer:
    1. Arroyo would not have got such a good deal since signing team would lose a pick.
    2. Arroyo likely would have accepted that offer.
    All true, but I think the key issue is whether $14 million for one year of Arroyo would have been good for the Reds or bad for the Reds. Was that a fair number for one year of BA.

In Choo's case, it would have been good for the Reds. He's worth more.

In Arroyo's case, it's a close call. Based on the DBacks contract, Arroyo is worth about $14 million for a year (including the buyout). So on its merits, had the Reds made a QO, and had Arroyo accepted, they would have received roughly equivalent value. It would have been a fair number, although no bargain, for the team.

But of course this does not factor in the Reds' budget. Since it was so tight, I assume that $14 million for Arroyo would have been a serious problem for them. So that's the deciding factor.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-07-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    In your specific example you are assuming Reynolds is a 0.0 WAR pitcher over 30 games. I don't agree with that premise.
    No, you're not getting it. I know Reynolds is less than 0 WAR hence the fact that Arroyo would win us more games replacing him than he would a 0WAR player

I mean over a "season" . Arroyo means 0.8 wins for a season assuming he replaces a 0WAR pitcher. My point is that he might realistically be replacing Greg Reynolds which would make him much more valuable

Happy for Bronson, and I wish him well in Arizona.

I'm guessing this may be similar to the deferred deal he told the Reds he wasn't interested in back in October. He also said he would have jumped on the QO, because of the guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    2 years $23.5M guaranteed - $9.5M in 2014 and 2015 with an $11M option for 2016 and $4.5M buyout.
    Hidden in the fine print: Arizona is only on the hook for the buyout if Bronson refrains from starring in any JTM-style commercials for the life of the contract.

20. Likes:

757690 (02-07-2014),CmdrCody (02-08-2014),Old school 1983 (02-07-2014)

Turn Off Ads?