Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Emilio Bonifacio

Emilo Bonifacio

Wanted to get some opinions why the Reds shouldn't be giving the Royals a call to see if this guy might be available. He is buried on the Royals bench with the young talent they have. He can play centerfield and the infield positions and the Reds could use him in a role like Bip Roberts did many, many baseball years ago. He can get on base and steal a few bases also. Even if Hamilton is able to hold his own in spring training, the Reds could have a dynamic tandem at the top of the lineup for Votto, Ludwick and Bruce.

Even though his numbers were down last year, that could be contribute to switching leagues. But when he was with Florida/Miami his numbers were respectable.

So why wouldn't the Reds want this guy?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players...ilio-bonifacio
    Last edited by Krusty; 01-17-2014 at 10:20 PM.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-17-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Emilo Bonifacio

Probably cause Walt's still hibernating for the winter. You'll have to talk to him in a couple weeks

Walt reportedly said today he'd like more competition in the infield and outfield, but he appeared to be talking about invites to spring training. This implies minor league contracts.

I doubt the Reds will acquire anyone else for the MLB roster before spring training. And after spring training MLB acquisitions are infrequent.

Bonifacio has his flaws, but I'd love to have him on the Reds bench (he's also quite welcome to bring along his brother Jorge as well).
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-17-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Why would the Reds want Bonifacio? 2.6 million for a .625 OPS and .295 OBP. His glove is okay, not phenomenal. He did hit better once he got to KC but I wouldn't bet on that to continue.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 01-17-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Why would the Reds want Bonifacio? 2.6 million for a .625 OPS and .295 OBP. His glove is okay, not phenomenal. He did hit better once he got to KC but I wouldn't bet on that to continue.
    I feel yea. I can't wait for another year of Cesar Izturis

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    I feel yea. I can't wait for another year of Cesar Izturis
    What, you just want a different flavor of awful or something? There's no reason to complain about the Reds not trading for this guy.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

10. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (01-18-2014)

So the Reds don't want Mesoraco either I assume? I know that is a bit of an extreme example, but you can't base a guy off one season. Bonifacio has a career .322 OBP, which sadly would put him 4th on the Reds last season among starters. Remove Choo and he is sitting behind Votto and Bruce (barely) in that department.

Yeah, he lacks power, but he is better than Izturis, he is better than Hannahan, and if Billy gets on base at a .322 clip I think we would be satisfied. I don't see why we wouldn't want him if the price was low. I don't see Bonifacio as a game changer, I agree with the OP that he would be a shrewd low-key addition that could provide us a Billy backup, and a nice utility guy. I am much less concerned with his power output if he is hitting in front of Votto.

Heck, he might OPS in Phillips territory this season.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 01-18-2014 at 01:20 AM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Not ideal - if he was I'd be looking at him as a starter or he'd be starting in KC. He switch-hits, can fill in at several sports, has shown some OBP skills at times and has solid speed. Not great, but it beats anything we've got on the bench (with the possible exception of Schumaker) and anything that was on the bench last year. Beats the hell out of Hannahan at any price.

13. Likes:

LoganBuck (01-18-2014), mth123 (01-18-2014)

Emilio Bonifacio

Was just designated for assignment by the Royals today. He is to make 3.5 million this season. If I'm Walt, I'm on the phone and see what it would take to get him. It can't be that much.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

15. Likes:

PepperJack (02-01-2014), REDREAD (02-01-2014)

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Bringing up this thread to go along with the current one from Krusty.

17. Likes:

PepperJack (02-01-2014)

Re: Emilio Bonifacio

Guy they should have signed is Justin Turner who actually hits a little. Sounds like Turner may be going to Dodgers.

Superior to every bench player that the Reds have. Which is like playing center on the Munchkin basketball team.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

20. Likes:

mth123 (02-01-2014), Revering4Blue (02-02-2014)

I agree, he could be very useful. 332 and 360 obp's his last two years in the NL and 70 sb's to boot.
    And he's still just 28.
    Last edited by Hollcat; 02-01-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Superior to every bench player that the Reds have. Which is like playing center on the Munchkin basketball team.
    Seconded. Guessing the Royals would want some one not on the 40 man roster. With all the signings the Reds would seem to have a glut of those. Maybe send a couple.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

23. Likes:

SanDiegoRed (02-13-2014)

Turn Off Ads?