Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Story of a "common player" Randy Milligan

Story of a "common player" Randy Milligan

Thought this was a cool story. I think stories of these forgotten players can be as interesting as the star players. Been nice if he had been able to interview Milligan for it though. I would love to read a collection of stories of lesser known players. Like a modern "Glory of Their Times" for non-star players. After all I can only read so many Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams books.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/the-tal...rgotten-moose/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Story of a "common player" Randy Milligan

Randy Milligan was briefly a Red in 1993. He was signed as a right-handed hitter with some pop off the bench, and as a RH backup at 1B for Hal Morris. When Hal was injured in Spring Training (in a fight with Cleveland's Jose Mesa, IIRC), Milligan became the regular 1B at the beginning of the season. Eventually, when Morris returned to the starting lineup, Milligan was traded mid-season to the Tribe for OF Thomas Howard.

I remember "Moose" Milligan playing for the local Tidewater (now Norfolk) Tides, then the Mets' AAA club. He put up a 1.033 OPS season as a 25-year-old in 1987, with 29 HRs and 103 RBIs. Locals around here loved "Moose."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Moooooooooooooose!

Milligan didn't have a ton of power, but he could wear out opposing pitchers. Way better player than many realized at the time. Played a big role in the Orioles' unlikely run in 1989. Had he come along a decade later when some GMs actually cared about OB, he'd have had a much longer career.

Dude had some excellent Strat cards. In 1990 and 1992, he mutilated LHPs.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

cincinnati chili (02-03-2014),Dom Heffner (02-03-2014)

I had no idea he was that difficult of an out at the plate. Thanks for the article was a great read. He'd be worth $15M in today's market.

he had a good eye and a high obp

Turn Off Ads?