Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Votto would have been a free agent in 2014. Estimate what his contract would be

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Votto would have been a free agent in 2014. Estimate what his contract would be

He received a 10/225 extension. Having hindsight and being able to see how the market unfolded, what would Votto's contract have been and who would he be playing for this year.

I'd say 8/200 donning Yankees' pinstripes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto would have been a free agent in 2014. Estimate what his contract would be

7 / 150

I do not think there is any way he would have gotten what he did on the open market.

Re: Votto would have been a free agent in 2014. Estimate what his contract would be

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    7 / 150

I do not think there is any way he would have gotten what he did on the open market.
    That's pretty similar to Choo overall. I don't think you are very close with a 7/150 number.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    That's pretty similar to Choo overall. I don't think you are very close with a 7/150 number.
    That is $20 million more than Choo got.

If the knee injury happened before the extension he would have probably been extended for at least a decent amount less. Had the knee injury never happened I have to believe he would have been paid this year very similar to what his extension was for.

7. Likes:

Always Red (02-07-2014)

That is $20 million more than Choo got.
    If you don't like Choo as a comparable contract, how about Ellsbury? He received 7/153, and is almost exactly the same age as Votto (they were born one day apart). Given Votto's much more consistent track record, I'd expect him to land something well beyond the contract Ellsbury received.

As for where he might have ended up, I wonder if the Mariners would have decided to spend the money they gave Cano on Votto instead. Justin Smoak doesn't exactly have 1B locked down for the Ms.

Ellsbury also plays a premium defensive positon while Votto plays 1st base. I think after the terrible Pujols contract teams would have been a little less willing to give Votto, who recently had a knee injury and did not appear to completely recover the following year a deal north of $200 million.

He is obviously a much better hitter than Ellsbury though, and I do think he would get a bigger contract, so I will take my initial guess up to $170 mil. I would also like to point out that I think that Ellsbury contract is a freaking joke. He did not deserve close to 150.

I just do not think he would get near, at, or above $200 million.

He is an outstanding hitter, but he is a first basemen that had a knee injury, which we are still not sure if he has recovered from, played medicore to bad defense in 13, and is a terrible baserunner.

Ellsbury also plays a premium defensive positon while Votto plays 1st base. I think after the terrible Pujols contract teams would have been a little less willing to give Votto, who recently had a knee injury and did not appear to completely recover the following year a deal north of $200 million.

He is obviously a much better hitter than Ellsbury though, and I do think he would get a bigger contract, so I will take my initial guess up to $170 mil. I would also like to point out that I think that Ellsbury contract is a freaking joke. He did not deserve close to 150.

I just do not think he would get near, at, or above $200 million.

He is an outstanding hitter, but he is a first basemen that had a knee injury, which we are still not sure if he has recovered from, played medicore to bad defense in 13, and is a terrible baserunner.
    Contracts aren't always about pure production though. Would Toronto jump in and offer a HUGE contract? Would the Yankees or someone else love a former MVP that is obviously still a huge name? I can't imagine he doesn't get a lore more than 7/170 even.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Contracts aren't always about pure production though. Would Toronto jump in and offer a HUGE contract? Would the Yankees or someone else love a former MVP that is obviously still a huge name? I can't imagine he doesn't get a lore more than 7/170 even.
    Toronto is the X-factor...they could create a bidding war which the Yankees may be willing to join. But, would the Yankees even go after Votto? They have Texieria, who is obviously inferior, but would they sign another 1B and just cut Tex? what would be the plan?

Is Votto a huge name? I think a lot of non-baseball fans do not know who he is. I have friends that follow the AL that know who he is , but they don't consider him a star or anything, they just consider him a good 1B, but not as good as Miguel Cabrera.

Votto is a sabr wet dream, but I think do not think he is a global star like Derek Jeter, Miguel Cabrera, Bryce Harper, Robinson Cano, etc.

Votto would be getting probably the same deal. His performance comes at a defensive position that allows a player to age. If he played SS or CF, the injuries would mount. First basemen, tend to stay relatively healthy.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

13. Likes:

Red Raindog (02-04-2014)

He's a year younger than Cano and comparably productive. I could easily see 8/200 from somebody.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Freeman just got 8/125 from ATL, so Votto would definitely get far more than 150.

Between Boston, NYY and Toronto, a bidding war would have driven Votto to $200 million easily. Picture Votto in Boston bouncing balls of the Monster all season. They may not have wanted to go long but it would have driven the ave salary up. Someone else would have then bought on.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Between Boston, NYY and Toronto, a bidding war would have driven Votto to $200 million easily. Picture Votto in Boston bouncing balls of the Monster all season. They may not have wanted to go long but it would have driven the ave salary up. Someone else would have then bought on.
    If Votto was going to be available, the Cubs may have handled Rizzo differently.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

8/200 seems to be a reasonable estimate.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?