Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Braves To Extend Freddie Freeman

Braves To Extend Freddie Freeman

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...extension.html

12:37pm: Freeman's extension will be "huge," reports Morosi (on Twitter). One source tells Morosi that the deal is in the $100MM range, clearly indicating the Braves have secured multiple free agent years with this new contract.

12:20pm: The Braves have agreed to an extension with All-Star first baseman Freddie Freeman, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (on Twitter). Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports first reported that the two sides were nearing a multi-year deal (Twitter link). Freeman, like teammate Jason Heyward (who reached a two-year contract agreement earlier today), is represented by Excel Sports Management.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Braves To Extend Freddie Freeman

Interesting. The Braves are famous for not negotiating with their arb eligible players once numbers have been submitted.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 7m

One source said Freddie Freeman's extension could be as much as $125 million over eight years when it is done. @FOXSports1

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Interesting. The Braves are famous for not negotiating with their arb eligible players once numbers have been submitted.
    They were quoted as saying they would not negotiate on 1 year deals with the file and trial standard, but they would still work towards multiyear deal. They have reached a 2 year agreement with Heyward as well apparently.

Is Freddie Freeman worth a HUGE extension?

Vottobot

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    yes
    Go Redlegs!!

8. Likes:

RadfordVA (02-06-2014)

According to some pundits on MLB network he's better than Joey Votto.

Of course TV has been referred to as an idiot box by many.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com

Braves Extend Freddie Freeman

By Steve Adams [February 4 at 6:47pm CST]

6:46pm: Freeman will earn $135MM over eight years, reports Peter Gammons (via Twitter). The club announced the eight-year deal but did not confirm financial details.

It should be noted that they still owe Dan Uggla $26 million over the next 2 years, $29 million to Justin Upton over the next 2 years, and $60 million to BJ Upton over the next 4 years.

I think it is about a solid investment as a team can make. People tend to forget how young he is. This will be his age 24 season coming up and he already has a career ops+ of 123. Has gotten over 600PA the last 3 seasons so has been extremely durable. Even at 8 years the contract is only taking him up to 31 so theoretically they are not having to buy any down years to make the deal, like most long term deals.

13. Likes:

mth123 (02-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    I think it is about a solid investment as a team can make. People tend to forget how young he is. This will be his age 24 season coming up and he already has a career ops+ of 123. Has gotten over 600PA the last 3 seasons so has been extremely durable. Even at 8 years the contract is only taking him up to 31 so theoretically they are not having to buy any down years to make the deal, like most long term deals.
    Career OPS doesn't really do much for me in this case. He had a break out year last season which really can skew that number. I originally posed the question before I took a look at his numbers. Last year was very good for Freddie, but the prior two years were slightly above average.

The question for me is where does he rank among 1B? In the NL I think you have to put him behind both Votto and Goldschmidt. In the AL I would slot him behind Cabrera and Davis right off the bat and then begin a discussion with guys like Fielder and Mauer.

The way I look at it, Freeman is good, but not elite. That is a lot of money to devote to a guy who isn't elite at his position. The Braves have a roster full of some interesting contracts as mentioned above. The Freeman deal could work out to be a bargain or it could be a burden down the road. If you are going to sign him to a massive deal, why not wait another year and see how he backs up his career year? Freeman wasn't set to be a FA until 2017, even if he backed up his 2013 numbers this season, would he have gotten much more?

Turn Off Ads?