Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Votto would have been a free agent in 2014. Estimate what his contract would be

Re: Votto would have been a free agent in 2014. Estimate what his contract would be

I still feel that the Votto contract is fair. For the next decade it will be the source of consternation.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto would have been a free agent in 2014. Estimate what his contract would be

I think his deal would look very similar to what he actually got.

The Blue Jays, the Cubs (before Rizzo), maybe the White Sox (before Abreu), and the Red Sox (before Napoli) would all likely be involved. And I wouldn't rule out the Yankees or Dodgers either, regardless of their aging 1B. Probably Seattle too, given their lack of options at 1B and they obviously had money to spend this offseason. Possibly Texas or Detroit because who knows what would've happened vis a vis the Fielder trade.

Thought it at the time and can say it now more authoritatively, the Reds didn't get any kind of discount for locking up Votto when they did. They just didn't lose him, which is equally as valuable. For Votto, it was an Even Steven move.
    Go BLUE!!!

I wonder if Votto would have signed the contract now with the future of the Reds not looking as bright as it did when he signed it back in 2012?

Or would he rather look for a team with a better playoff chance than the Reds?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I wonder if Votto would have signed the contract now with the future of the Reds not looking as bright as it did when he signed it back in 2012?

I think Joey would be happy to take a 10 year, $225 million from any team, but especially his incumbent team- rosy outlook or not. And I don't mean that as a knock on how much he cares about winning, but it's a very fair price from a known quantity.
    Go BLUE!!!

8 years //208 million

The reds got a bargain
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

if he would look for the best chance to win the series as highest priority, he would not sign a long term contract!

not many teams play for the series for 8-10 years. The chance to win it all was perhaps better last year, but the team is still a contender and with little time those prospects should help the reds. Letīs see what the future brings.

I think he would have signed a similar contract (yes, after his knee surgery). Ellsbury for example needs his speed to be that good, at the end of the contract heīll be slowed down alot which impacts his position (cf) and his avg. etc.

votto plays a good position to age and his work ethic, eye (walks) will help him till his end of the career.

Quote Originally Posted by tomnuetten View Post

not many teams play for the series for 8-10 years.r.
    I think you can point at the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels and a few other big market teams that always seem to either be in the playoffs or in the hunt. I am not saying this franchise is in the dumps by any means, I just question if it as appealing now to someone like Votto to sign long term when he could get a comparable deal from one of the big market teams and pretty much always be in the hunt for the playoffs.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-04-2014)

It would have been 8-200, maybe a little more.

Maybe he could demand one million dollars.

Last edited by klw; 02-06-2014 at 09:23 AM.

Turn Off Ads?