Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Anthony Castrovince: Top 10 Rotations & Top 10 Lineups

Re: Anthony Castrovince: Top 10 Rotations & Top 10 Lineups

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post

"Why would a reviewer make the point of saying someone's *not* a genius?"
    "What this book presupposes is.....maybe he didn't?"

2. Turn Off Ads?

JunkHead and Saluika are entitled to their opinion. If you think their opinions are "trolling" STOP REPLYING!! That is the best way to deal with trolls.

As for the discussion at hand, I view elite players as being those at the top 5% of their position/toolset being compared. Viewed in that context, Bruce is most definitely an elite defender and power hitter. Is he an overall elite MLB player? No, not in my opinion. However, he is still a very good MLB player with potential to improve in to the "elite" ranks.
    Last edited by Caveman Techie; 02-07-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    2011: #15 in wRC+, #15 in Off, #17 in WAR among NL outfielders
    2012: #13 in wRC+, #14 in Off, #19 in WAR
    2013: #17 in wRC+, #16 in Off, #9 in WAR

He's not an All-Star quality player.
    The guy definitely has his issues but there are other metrics to evaluate players. Even if they are old school methods, they still hold merit and carry weight for the people that make all star SS and MVP selections and frankly I think sometimes stuff gets overanalyzed by newer stats. They do hold merit but at the same time 30 + hone runs, 90+ RBI, among the league leaders in XBH and top notch D in right field holds merit.

I'm not the biggest Bruce fan in the world. He has some consistency issues as well as contact issues at the plate, but I'd never try to cut down his defense or power potential. Defensively for his position, rf not of in general he's among the best and as far as hitting for power he is as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman Techie View Post
    JunkHead and Saluika are entitled to their opinion. If you think their opinions are "trolling" STOP REPLYING!! That is the best way to deal with trolls.

As for the discussion at hand, I view elite players as being those at the top 5% of their position/toolset being compared. Viewed in that context, Bruce is most definitely an elite defender and power hitter. Is he an overall elite MLB player? No, not in my opinion. However, he is still a very good MLB player with potential to improve in to the "elite" ranks.
    I don't think junkhead trolls.

But, a Cardinals fan responding to an opinion by saying "It's rosezone, where objectivity comes to die" is trolling to me.

7. Likes:

bigredmechanism (02-07-2014), Mike Honcho (02-07-2014)

Top 10 bullpens: Braves have most dominant unit
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb

1. Braves
    2. Royals
    3. Dodgers
    4. Reds
    5. Cardinals
    6. Pirates
    7. Blue Jays
    8. Rays
    9. Athletics
    10. Red Sox

4. REDS
    The Reds will stick with Aroldis Chapman in the closer's role, and at this point, it's hard to blame them. Even if Chapman didn't reach the downright historic level he ascended to in 2012, he nonetheless struck out 15.8 batters per nine while allowing only a 1.037 WHIP last year.

And with right-handers Alfredo Simon, J.J. Hoover and Sam LeCure (all of whom had adjusted ERAs at least 33-percent better than league average) and left-hander Manny Parra in the mix, to say nothing of returns to health by veterans Jonathan Broxton and Sean Marshall, the Reds should again have a bullpen that rates as a team strength.
    Honorable mention: Rangers, Padres, Tigers, D-backs, Brewers, Giants

Top 10 teams: Cardinals the envy of baseball

1. Cardinals
    2. Tigers
    3. Red Sox
    4. Dodgers
    5. Rangers
    6. Nationals
    7. Rays
    8. Athletics
    9. Braves
    10. Yankees

Honorable mention: 11. Reds, 12. Pirates, 13. Giants, 14. Angels, 15. Indians and Royals (tie)

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    Top 10 teams: Cardinals the envy of baseball

1. Cardinals
    2. Tigers
    3. Red Sox
    4. Dodgers
    5. Rangers
    6. Nationals
    7. Rays
    8. Athletics
    9. Braves
    10. Yankees

Honorable mention: 11. Reds, 12. Pirates, 13. Giants, 14. Angels, 15. Indians and Royals (tie)
    For the record, going into last year, the Reds were the envy of every team in the NL Central. And the Nationals were the envy of every MLB team.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Reds fans off season fun

You shouldn't post junkhead's picture like that! :-)
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    For the record, going into last year, the Reds were the envy of every sports writer in the NL Central. And the Nationals were the envy of every sports writer
    Fixed that for you.

13. Likes:

757690 (02-08-2014)

Turn Off Ads?