Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 232

Thread: 2014 Sochi Olympics

  1. #16
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,171

    Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I'm not talking about attacks, but rather stuff like killing dogs and not being ready to handle the events, generally. Also not looking forward to what happens in Brazil this summer, either.
    The Olympic cities are never really ready to host the Olympics. The massive amount of infrastructure required to host an Olympics is unheard of, especially in developing nations. I thought the idea of a Russian Olympics was a mistake at the time, especially with Putin in charge, but the concerns you are hearing are similar to those of the Beijing Olympics in 2008.

    I think you will find out if Brazil is ready when the World Cup heads there this summer. Its ironic that they got two massive sporting events within 2 years. What I think needs to be taken into consideration is what one culture thinks is right or wrong another culture may think the inverse.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,393

    Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

    I was referring to this summer. From what I've read, Brazil is alarmingly behind. And from what I've read about Russia, the same has been true. Not sure what you mean about culture, but from the Brazilian friends I have here in Bloomington (a pretty strong community here for some reason) they are very concerned that their country is in trouble with respect to the WC.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  4. #18
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,082

    Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I am surprised you had Figure Skating that high!!!!!!!!!!
    They should have contests where they have to do the spinning jumps over a bar and the bar is raised after each jump. Take the judges out of it.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  5. #19
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,393

    Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    My favorite events in the Winter Olympics
    1) Downhill - These people are insane.
    2) Luge/Skeleton - So are these people
    3) Biathalon - Quirky and fun
    4) Ski Jumping - It makes my knees hurt watching them land
    5) Bobsled - Not as cool as Luge, but close
    6) Hockey
    7) Curling - It looks like fun
    .....
    125) Figure Skating - Shouldn't they just have a jumping competition? That seems to be the only part of the routine that matters. I am also leery of any sport that has judges.
    My only changes to the list would be make #1 the entire category of alpine skiiing; slalom, giant slalom, downhill. Luge and bobsled are crazy. Two man luge makes me somewhat uncomfortable. It would be better if the guys didn't appear to be coated in latex. And who could argue with shooting things while on skis?

    I was 11 in 1976 and I can tell you there a lot of people getting terrorized on the hills of Greek Peak because I had watched Franz Klammer's epic downhill win. If you've never seen it, check it out; there are more than a few vids posted on youtube.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  6. #20
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,171

    Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    My only changes to the list would be make #1 the entire category of alpine skiiing; slalom, giant slalom, downhill. Luge and bobsled are crazy. Two man luge makes me somewhat uncomfortable. It would be better if the guys didn't appear to be coated in latex. And who could argue with shooting things while on skis?

    I was 11 in 1976 and I can tell you there a lot of people getting terrorized on the hills of Greek Peak because I had watched Franz Klammer's epic downhill win. If you've never seen it, check it out; there are more than a few vids posted on youtube.
    Tommy Moe did it for me. I was 11 at the time and remembered getting the SI with him on the cover of it. He became the American Golden Boy for the Olympics for his win in the Downhill. I just realized that he was pretty much a nobody in alpine skiing. In 8 years he had one win and 8 podium finishes. He goes from that to an Olympic Gold and Silver in two of the most demanding events.

    I am interested to see what Body Miller and Ted Ligety can do in skiing. I also enjoy the skier half pipe which I find more impressive than the snowboard variety.

  7. Likes:

    SunDeck (02-05-2014)

  8. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,577

    Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    What are the normal filters?

    Thanks for the advice
    There are some really, really good experts on this site who understand and can explain these filters better than I can. I would appreciate one of them explaining them if they could, while giving you a better sense of security than I could. My skills give me minimal (I wrote computer code and fixed computers in the dinosaur ages from 1980-2003) security. The current state of security protection is complicated to keep up with. I mentioned "minimum" referring to using updated Norton anti-malware protection, along with never clicking on anything you're not sure of is part of the actual stream that you are looking for, though disguises are always lurking. Just doing those basics (while cleaning my computer on a multiple daily basis) has kept me from having not had an attack on a computer of mine in at least 14 years. Tens of 1000's of attempts have been made, but none (knock on wood) have gotten through.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-05-2014 at 04:01 PM.

  9. #22
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    They should have contests where they have to do the spinning jumps over a bar and the bar is raised after each jump. Take the judges out of it.
    I am digging that. Sort of like the high jump!!!!!!!!!
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  10. #23
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,314

    Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    There are some really, really good experts on this site who understand and can explain these filters better than I can. I would appreciate one of them explaining them if they could, while giving you a better sense of security than I could. My skills give me minimal (I wrote computer code and fixed computers in the dinosaur ages from 1980-2003) security. The current state of security protection is complicated to keep up with. I mentioned "minimum" referring to using updated Norton anti-malware protection, along with never clicking on anything you're not sure of is part of the actual stream that you are looking for, though disguises are always lurking. Just doing those basics (while cleaning my computer on a multiple daily basis) has kept me from having not had an attack on a computer of mine in at least 14 years. Tens of 1000's of attempts have been made, but none (knock on wood) have gotten through.
    NEVER EVER USE NORTON. EVER.

    That is all I am contributing to this post.

  11. Likes:

    Dan (02-06-2014), mth123 (02-12-2014), VottoFan54 (02-06-2014), Wonderful Monds (02-05-2014)

  12. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

    I spent a few years living near Lake Placid, New York and got to watch numerous US Olympians train there in the winters. Unless you see it in person, it's hard to imagine the speed of the Downhill skiing, the height and length of the Long Jump, or the skill level involved in many if these events. It was truly some of the most amazing sports-related things I've seen live. I already loved the winter Olympics, but getting to watch many of them do their thing in person, took my love and appreciation to an even higher level. Watching the long jumpers, when they lift off, then there's total silence til they land, and them seemingly flying, literally, for what seems like forever, is breathtaking.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  13. Likes:

    M2 (02-05-2014), SunDeck (02-06-2014)

  14. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

    By the way, the Bill Johnson doc on ESPN is awesome. He was my first winter Olympics "hero", the first american man to win gold in the downhill, and his story is both fascinating and tragic. It's must-see TV for anyone interested in him and his life.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  15. Likes:

    Yachtzee (02-06-2014)

  16. #26
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,160

    Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    My favorite events in the Winter Olympics
    1) Downhill - These people are insane.
    2) Luge/Skeleton - So are these people
    3) Biathalon - Quirky and fun
    4) Ski Jumping - It makes my knees hurt watching them land
    5) Bobsled - Not as cool as Luge, but close
    6) Hockey
    7) Curling - It looks like fun
    .....
    125) Figure Skating - Shouldn't they just have a jumping competition? That seems to be the only part of the routine that matters. I am also leery of any sport that has judges.
    Over the past few Olympics, I've really enjoyed the cross country skiing and biathlon. I'd nominate those folks as the fittest athletes on the planet.

    I'm also a sucker for ski and snowboard cross events.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  17. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,577

    Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    NEVER EVER USE NORTON. EVER.

    That is all I am contributing to this post.
    See what I mean? I knew I would have been giving poor advice.

    Thanks, doug. All advice is welcome.

  18. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,577

    Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    By the way, the Bill Johnson doc on ESPN is awesome. He was my first winter Olympics "hero", the first american man to win gold in the downhill, and his story is both fascinating and tragic. It's must-see TV for anyone interested in him and his life.
    Agree wholeheartedly. I go to The Dalles about 15 times a year for recreational purposes. It's a depressed area. The housing costs are 1/2 what they are in Hood River, the next nearest "city" about 20 miles away.

    Seen numerous stories on him...not the latest one by ESPN, but I imagine his condition hasn't changed for the better from two years ago.

  19. #29
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,692

    Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly. I go to The Dalles about 15 times a year for recreational purposes. It's a depressed area. The housing costs are 1/2 what they are in Hood River, the next nearest "city" about 20 miles away.

    Seen numerous stories on him...not the latest one by ESPN, but I imagine his condition hasn't changed for the better from two years ago.
    You would be shocked from what I saw. He contracted an infection last summer that nearly killed and has left him wheelchair bound and unable to speak.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

  20. #30
    Member tomnuetten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Freiburg (Germany)
    Posts
    1,196

    Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The Olympic cities are never really ready to host the Olympics. The massive amount of infrastructure required to host an Olympics is unheard of, especially in developing nations. I thought the idea of a Russian Olympics was a mistake at the time, especially with Putin in charge, but the concerns you are hearing are similar to those of the Beijing Olympics in 2008.

    Salzburg was one of they cities that wanted to host the olympics in 2014. They had most of the buildings that are needed because they have worldchampionchips and european championships in lots of winter sport events.. they would have the infrastructure and the place to build the rest of the needed buildings..

    putin chose the warmest place in russia that has no snow in febuary. A country with regions where everytime of the year is snow chose to make the winter games at the warmest place?! not very clever in my opinion.
    the reason they wanted to make it in sochi is the fact that they can expropriate the ground of many people (they made a new rule that they can expropriate properties if they need it for the olympics). Some guys got for whole property 1 million rubles and after they had the ground they sold it for 1million ruble per square meter...

    it costs 37 billions euro to build the olympic city (lots of corruption). Vancouver, Turin and Salt Lake cost around 2 billion euro

    Lots of human right failures, environment got destroyed, inhabitants moved... I donīt like what those guys were doing, it has nothing to do with the olympic legacy/charter


    To the sport:
    Iīm looking forward to hockey and thatīs it.. Iīll watch some biathlon and alpine sports too. I donīt get those national feeling, so I donīt care how many medals germany wins.. if I like someone I hope he wins (donīt matter if heīs canadian, russian or german)

  21. Likes:

    Kingspoint (02-06-2014)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25