Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Sochi Olympics

Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

This was an idiotic decision by the Olympic committee to even put these games in Sochi. With all the competition, why accept a bid from a place that can't even guarantee clean water and toilet paper? This decision is showing to be a disaster and may very well overshadow the games themselves

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I spent a few years living near Lake Placid, New York and got to watch numerous US Olympians train there in the winters. Unless you see it in person, it's hard to imagine the speed of the Downhill skiing, the height and length of the Long Jump, or the skill level involved in many if these events. It was truly some of the most amazing sports-related things I've seen live. I already loved the winter Olympics, but getting to watch many of them do their thing in person, took my love and appreciation to an even higher level. Watching the long jumpers, when they lift off, then there's total silence til they land, and them seemingly flying, literally, for what seems like forever, is breathtaking.
    My family makes it out west for a ski trip almost every year. We were out in Deer Valley the year before the Olympics and towards the end of the day we took hill that was going to be used for the Olympic Slalom run. I caught a piece of ice and slid about 200 feet down the hill. I ended up skiing down the rest and talking to a worker diverting traffic at the bottom of the hill. He proceeded to tell me that the hill is much more icy for the race. They actually ice the hill down to make sure it is slick and fast. That amazed me when you consider these guys are turning constantly.

We just got back from Beaver Creek which hosts a World Cup downhill event on a course called Birds of Prey Downhill. It usually takes them a number of days to get the course from race shape to ordinary skier shape. I have skied it before very tentatively because the steep parts are a sheet of ice. The pro skiers bomb down that part while turning. They can get to 80 mph on parts of the hill where it is almost impossible for a good skier to stop. I have been told that the edges on their skies are so sharp that you must handle them with gloves or you will slice your hand off.

I'm looking forward to the Olympics. I like the skiing - especially the downhill - hockey, bobsled, luge and women's figure skating. I'm just apprehensive about the outside drama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    My family makes it out west for a ski trip almost every year. We were out in Deer Valley the year before the Olympics and towards the end of the day we took hill that was going to be used for the Olympic Slalom run. I caught a piece of ice and slid about 200 feet down the hill. I ended up skiing down the rest and talking to a worker diverting traffic at the bottom of the hill. He proceeded to tell me that the hill is much more icy for the race. They actually ice the hill down to make sure it is slick and fast. That amazed me when you consider these guys are turning constantly.

We just got back from Beaver Creek which hosts a World Cup downhill event on a course called Birds of Prey Downhill. It usually takes them a number of days to get the course from race shape to ordinary skier shape. I have skied it before very tentatively because the steep parts are a sheet of ice. The pro skiers bomb down that part while turning. They can get to 80 mph on parts of the hill where it is almost impossible for a good skier to stop. I have been told that the edges on their skies are so sharp that you must handle them with gloves or you will slice your hand off.
    It's different skiing, on the edges. The average skier never cuts any ice; these people hate it if they can't get up on their edges and carve into it. I've skied down a few runs that are used for downhill and super G at the pro level and the difficulty of those slopes just doesn't translate well to TV. The drop is unbelievable on those runs, plus the courses are far more difficult than the routes I took. Plus most skiers are defensive on steep slopes; professional skiers play offense.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

6. Likes:

M2 (02-07-2014)

Whiteface Mountain is the same way. That's where they held the downhill events at the Lake Placid Olympics. It's unbelievable how icy and steep it is when race prepped. Then during the summer it's used as a bike trail for extremists. Once they start, they don't stop until they hit something or they reach the end of the trial. I've seen many a biker reach the bottom covered from head to toe in blood. Then they go right back up top to do it again. The last guys I spoke to there said they came from Europe specifically for the "rush" of biking down Whiteface. Sorry, but that's a rush this old guy can live without, haha.

Like the rush of a compound fracture? I don't share it either.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    It's different skiing, on the edges. The average skier never cuts any ice; these people hate it if they can't get up on their edges and carve into it. I've skied down a few runs that are used for downhill and super G at the pro level and the difficulty of those slopes just doesn't translate well to TV. The drop is unbelievable on those runs, plus the courses are far more difficult than the routes I took. Plus most skiers are defensive on steep slopes; professional skiers play offense.
    The ironic thing is the more aggressive the better you ski. The problem with that is you tend to fall quite a bit. I know especially in the moguls, the more aggressive line I take the better I ski, but the more I fall.

What I love is the camera shots that can pan down to ski level and show how much the actual ski bounces on the snow. The downhill is going all out, from the top of the mountain to the bottom, on an ice rink. Oh and you have to turn and go off jumps. I used to watch it quite a bit in the winter but I don't get the channel that it is one anymore (I think it is Universal HD.)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    NEVER EVER USE NORTON. EVER.

That is all I am contributing to this post.
    The day I tried to run a web server on my home computer and Norton popped up and said "you can't do that unless you pay us $99 for the privilege" was the day I uninstalled and declared I'd never use it again. However it's still better than the steaming pile of bloatware that is McAfee.

AVG or Avast or if you insist on paying, PCCillin FTW
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

The ironic thing is the more aggressive the better you ski. The problem with that is you tend to fall quite a bit. I know especially in the moguls, the more aggressive line I take the better I ski, but the more I fall.
    This is why it's best to learn to ski well when you're young.
    I can't imagine how difficult and scary it is to learn as an adult; I was lucky to learn when falling was fun (and offered an opportunity for my brother to spray snow all over me).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    AVG or Avast or if you insist on paying
    Ditto on Avast. Like all good security, you don't notice it.

Russian deputy PM says they are video taping people in the bathroom.
    http://happyplace.someecards.com/291...ory-gets-weird
    Seems the only thing more corrupt then the russians is the IOC.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Russian deputy PM says they are video taping people in the bathroom.
    http://happyplace.someecards.com/291...ory-gets-weird
    Seems the only thing more corrupt then the russians is the IOC.
    All the stuff I'm hearing about Sochi makes it sound like material for a new comedy act by Yakov Smirnov.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

So, this is a get off my lawn moment....

I feel like there are too many x games type events. I mean, what is slope style? It feels like they made it up over a hookah.

Carry on....
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

16. Likes:

Chip R (02-06-2014),cumberlandreds (02-07-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (02-06-2014),Revering4Blue (02-07-2014),SunDeck (02-06-2014)

Whoops, the 6-4-3 dp.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 02-06-2014 at 08:44 PM.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by tomnuetten View Post
    Salzburg was one of they cities that wanted to host the olympics in 2014. They had most of the buildings that are needed because they have worldchampionchips and european championships in lots of winter sport events.. they would have the infrastructure and the place to build the rest of the needed buildings..

putin chose the warmest place in russia that has no snow in febuary. A country with regions where everytime of the year is snow chose to make the winter games at the warmest place?! not very clever in my opinion.
    the reason they wanted to make it in sochi is the fact that they can expropriate the ground of many people (they made a new rule that they can expropriate properties if they need it for the olympics). Some guys got for whole property 1 million rubles and after they had the ground they sold it for 1million ruble per square meter...

it costs 37 billions euro to build the olympic city (lots of corruption). Vancouver, Turin and Salt Lake cost around 2 billion euro

Lots of human right failures, environment got destroyed, inhabitants moved... I donīt like what those guys were doing, it has nothing to do with the olympic legacy/charter

To the sport:
    Iīm looking forward to hockey and thatīs it.. Iīll watch some biathlon and alpine sports too. I donīt get those national feeling, so I donīt care how many medals germany wins.. if I like someone I hope he wins (donīt matter if heīs canadian, russian or german)
    I think Salzburg would have been a great choice. I lived there for two years and it is a winter sports paradise. I think the IOC made the choice for political reasons and thought Russian oil money would be sufficient to build a summer resort area into a venue for the Winter Olympics. I think the IOC and FIFA were encouraged by the Athens Olympics and the World Cup in South Africa that you could put a major event like this in a country with serious issues and the country would rally around the event to get things done. But Athens had their pride as founders of the Olympics on the line and South Africa had Mandela as a unifying figure. Contrary to that, the Olympics and the World Cup have been a divisive issue for Russia and Brazil. I hope the Sochi Olympics come off without a hitch, but I've had misgivings since I heard they were putting the Winter Games in a summer place not far from the strife torn Caucasus region, which has been a mess for 20+ years now.

As far as sports go, I root for the Americans first, but follow the Austrians as well, for all the time I lived there. I enjoy all the winter sports except figure skating (although I was a fan of Katarina Witt). I actually think the Winter Games are often better than the Summer Games.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?