Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Sochi Olympics

Re: 2014 Sochi Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IMO its a smart move. The X games type sports are really picking up steam across the world. Its bring a fresh new perspective to the games, getting young people drawn to the game. The Snowboard half pipe wasn't a part of the games until recently, can you imagine a Olympic Games without Shawn White? The X style games are not only gaining in popularity but they also make the Olympics the biggest event on their calendar.

I can't speak for wrestling, but the Olympics didn't have the support of MLB. The games were held right in the middle of the season and MLB was unwilling to go on a break and they were reluctant to let their prospects play. They took a back stage to the MLB season and the interest wasn't there.
    The problem with baseball is that both sides staked out strong positions and neither was willing to compromise. The IOC wanted MLB to take a break and send it's best players. MLB wanted teams no break and to permit teams to control which players were released for national team duty. The compromise position would be similar to what they do for soccer, where Olympic teams are U-23 squads with a certain number of senior exemptions. Either that or MLB forgoes the All Star game in Olympic years and extends the All Star break. I think that if MLB is serious about growing the sport internationally, they need to make an arrangement with the IOC that would get baseball back into the games. Personally I would prefer an Olympic tournament to the sham that the All Star game has become.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't mean to make this poltical and if it is too much so we can move it to that board, but was anyone else a little annoyed at how political and aggressive Bob Costas and the coverage was towards Russia last night? I know it is part of the story and needs to be discussed and I don't disagree with anything they were talking about, but I thought it was a little overboard and not really the place.

@Yachtzz

I don't think you will ever see baseball compromise to what the Olympics would want. I don't want to see a two week break in the MLB season pushing the playoffs further into November. It would be a glorified All Star game, but do you think the Dodgers would be ok with Kershaw pitching an extra 3 games not for them? You think the Reds would want Robert Stephenson pitching for a team that doesn't have his best interest at hand? The only way it works is if they use college players.

Olympic Soccer doesn't have the buzz the other big sports have. To be honest the only one of the big 4 sports that has any kind of Olympic buzz is hockey. Basketball is fun....but it really isn't a competition. Unless the Americans don't care like you saw a few Olympics ago. In hockey the players care, they want to be on the Olympic team, even your novice fan wants to watch Olympic hockey (thanks Miracle on Ice!)

I have always thought that the Olympics were a time for lesser known sports to shine. You won't see me watching swimming or track on TV but when the Olympics are on its must see TV.

5. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (02-07-2014)

So nothing on until the opening ceremonies tonight? I got off work early today and thought maybe I could catch some preliminary rounds.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

I think baseball should be included in the winter games, played in an indoor facility. If basketball is part of the summer games, why not? This would allow more name athletes to participate.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 02-07-2014 at 09:30 PM.

8. Likes:

M2 (02-07-2014), Wonderful Monds (02-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    @Yachtzz

I don't think you will ever see baseball compromise to what the Olympics would want. I don't want to see a two week break in the MLB season pushing the playoffs further into November. It would be a glorified All Star game, but do you think the Dodgers would be ok with Kershaw pitching an extra 3 games not for them? You think the Reds would want Robert Stephenson pitching for a team that doesn't have his best interest at hand? The only way it works is if they use college players.

Olympic Soccer doesn't have the buzz the other big sports have. To be honest the only one of the big 4 sports that has any kind of Olympic buzz is hockey. Basketball is fun....but it really isn't a competition. Unless the Americans don't care like you saw a few Olympics ago. In hockey the players care, they want to be on the Olympic team, even your novice fan wants to watch Olympic hockey (thanks Miracle on Ice!)

I have always thought that the Olympics were a time for lesser known sports to shine. You won't see me watching swimming or track on TV but when the Olympics are on its must see TV.
    I understand your thinking, but I feel it is a shortsighted one. The reason for having your sport in the Olympics is that it is televised worldwide, on every continent. That is exposure you don't get with limiting yourself to the MLB season and the World Baseball Classic. It generates interest in the sport to get people watching it and playing it. You mention hockey, and hockey is great in the Olympics, but hockey is always going to be limited in its reach to primarily cold weather countries. Baseball is relatively inexpensive to play and can be played anywhere. All you really need is a bat and a ball, both of which can be made of cheap materials. In many ways it resembles soccer in the cost to play and adaptability to different environments. If MLB could get people playing the sport in places like Europe, Mainland China, India, Africa, and South America, imagine not only the increase in the talent pool, but also the increase in revenues as more countries seek to broadcast MLB games on TV. Think about the fact that there are 1+ billion people each in China and India. They are huge markets for potential viewers and future players.

The problem with this is that it's a long term plan and requires thinking with a vision towards 20-30 years in the future. But if it's successful, it could be a huge boost to the sport. The key is to get exposure and the Olympics is a great way to do it because people worldwide already watch the Olympics. Add the World Baseball Classic in non-Olympic years and you have a major world baseball competition garnering interest outside the US every few years rather than just once every four.

Don't care about snowboarding really, but the favorite for the slopestyle thing is from my hometown over in Indiana, so that's pretty cool.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I think baseball should be included in the winter games, played in an indoor facility. I basketball is part of the summer games, why not? This would allow more name athletes to participate.
    Pretty good idea.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I think baseball should be included in the winter games, played in an indoor facility. I basketball is part of the summer games, why not? This would allow more name athletes to participate.
    Or invent Ice Baseball, with elements of hockey and speed skating thrown in. Imagine how fast Billy Hamilton would be on skates.

13. Likes:

reds1869 (02-08-2014)

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    So nothing on until the opening ceremonies tonight? I got off work early today and thought maybe I could catch some preliminary rounds.
    There were some practices today but there are no more actual events until tomorrow.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I wish Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira would shut their pie holes. It's like going to a Broadway show and having idiots sitting next to you giving running commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I wish Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira would shut their pie holes. It's like going to a Broadway show and having idiots sitting next to you giving running commentary.
    Glad to hear that NBC learned nothing from London.

Just once I want them to be like ESPN after the 2006 World Cup. ESPN took the (well earned) criticism to heart, completely changed their approach in South Africa and set the standard for how soccer should be covered in the States for other networks (now well emulated by NBC ironically). ESPN learned to respect the event and those who follow it. I had hoped that NBC would change similarly in their coverage of the Olympics.
    Last edited by paintmered; 02-07-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Bode Miller killing it in training for the Men's Downhill. It's crazy that he's skiing in his 5th Olympics at 36 and performing at such a high level. I really hope he wins it.

Watching Women's Moguls, I think they need to change the scoring system. Of the 6 women in the finals, the gold medalist seemed to go the most conservative and her run seemed boring compared to the others. If I was scoring, I would have put her sister, Hannah Kearney, and the Japanese woman ahead of her. If they made mistakes, they were negligible, but they all went with more difficulty. The Olympic motto is higher, faster, stronger, not "go conservative and win when the others make barely noticeable mistakes."

No offense to Heather, but with the addition of team figure skating, NBC's coverage seems to be 90% figure skating with bits of other sports thrown in. With all the channels NBC owns, I wish they would just put figure skating on a dedicated channel like Bravo to satisfy the figure skating fans and put more coverage of other sports on NBC and NBCSN. It seems like I spend a lot of time wading through figure skating to get to the other sports. Either that, or make figure skating more interesting by adding obstacles.

20. Likes:

M2 (02-09-2014)

Turn Off Ads?