3. Carlos Gonzalez – Colorado Rockies
    4. Jacoby Ellsbury – New York Yankees
    5. Matt Kemp – Los Angeles Dodgers
    6. Carlos Gomez – Milwaukee Brewers
    7. Austin Jackson – Detroit Tigers
    8. Adam Jones – Baltimore Orioles
    9. Dexter Fowler – Houston Astros
    10. Coco Crisp – Oakland Athletics

The rankings above are from MLB Network’s “Shredder” which takes into account a multitude of statistical factors with no human bias. Each episode also provides three additional lists: One from Brian Kenny, one from Bill James, and one from an MLB Network analyst, who for the Centerfielders was Darryl Hamilton. Here are their individual Top 10′s.

Brian Kenny: Trout, McCutchen, Ellsbury, Gomez, Gonzalez, Jackson, Jones, Kemp, Desmond Jennings (TB), Leonys Martin (TEX)

Bill James: Trout, McCutchen, Jones, Ellsbury, Gomez, Gonzalez, Jackson, Michael Bourn (CLE), Jennings, Denard Span (WAS)

Darryl Hamilton: Trout, McCutchen, Jones, Ellsbury, Gomez, Kemp, Jackson, Crisp, Gonzalez, Bourn

Top 10 Right Fielders Right Now

1. Yasiel Puig – Los Angeles Dodgers
    2. Ryan Braun – Milwaukee Brewers
    3. Jose Bautista – Toronto Blue Jays
    4. Giancarlo Stanton – Miami Marlins
    5. Allen Craig – St. Louis Cardinals
    6. Carlos Beltran – New York Yankees
    7. Jayson Werth – Washington Nationals
    8. Shane Victorino – Boston Red Sox
    9. Hunter Pence – San Francisco Giants
    10. Jason Heyward – Atlanta Braves

Brian Kenny: Braun, Stanton, Puig, Heyward, Werth, Bautista, Craig, Jay Bruce (CIN), Wil Myers (TB), Pence

Bill James: Braun, Bruce, Stanton, Heyward, Pence, Bautista, Victorino, Beltran, Puig, Torii Hunter (DET)

Mark DeRosa: Beltran, Stanton, Bautista, Werth, Craig, Pence, Bruce, Hunter, Puig, Michael Cuddyer (COL)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB Network’s "Top 10 Right Now" Entering 2014

Top 10 Staring Pitchers

1. Clayton Kershaw – Los Angeles Dodgers
    2. Cliff Lee – Philadelphia Phillies
    3. Felix Hernandez – Seattle Mariners
    4. Chris Sale – Chicago White Sox
    5. Jose Fernandez – Miami Marlins
    6. David Price – Tampa Bay Rays
    7. Hisashi Iwakuma – Seattle Mariners
    8. Adam Wainwright – St. Louis Cardinals
    9. Justin Verlander – Detroit Tigers
    10. Max Scherzer – Detroit Tigers

Brian Kenny: Kershaw, Verlander, Lee, Hernandez, Wainwright, Yu Darvish (TEX), Scherzer, Fernandez, Madison Bumgarner (SF), Sale

Bill James: Kershaw, Scherzer, Lee, Wainwright, Verlander, Zack Greinke (LAD), Sale, Jered Weaver (LAA), Hernandez, Darvish

John Smoltz: Kershaw, Fernandez, Hernandez, Scherzer, Darvish, Verlander, Jon Lester (BOS), Stephen Strasburg (WAS), Wainwright, Price

Top 10 Shortstops

1. Troy Tulowitzki – Colorado Rockies
    2. Jose Reyes – Toronto Blue Jays
    3. Hanley Ramirez – Los Angeles Dodgers
    4. Jhonny Peralta – St. Louis Cardinals
    5. Jean Segura – Milwaukee Brewers
    6. Ian Desmond – Washington Nationals
    7. Elvis Andrus – Texas Rangers
    8. Andrelton Simmons – Atlanta Braves
    9. J.J. Hardy – Baltimore Orioles
    10. Alcides Escobar – Kansas City Royal

Brian Kenny: Tulowitzki, Ramirez, Reyes, Desmond, Andrus, Peralta, Derek Jeter (NYY), Simmons, Segura, Everth Cabrera (SD)

Bill James: Tulowitzki, Hardy, Reyes, Jed Lowrie (OAK), Simmons, Andrus, Segura, Ramirez, Erick Aybar (LAA), Escobar

Bill Ripken: Tulowitzki, Ramirez, Hardy, Simmons, Desmond, Segura, Stephen Drew (FA), Lowrie, Andrus, Reyes

First Basemen and Left Fielders will be revealed on Friday, January 24th.

Bill James loves him some Jay Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I think Bill James has it right (not saying you don't; no idea). What struck me is that the computer was missing it, but all three human beings got him.

Two seasons back, I came to some peace with Jay Bruce - wait until the end of the season and see the cumulative statistics. The peaks and valleys are maddening, but at the end of the day, he's a pretty good ballplayer.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

7. Likes:

Always Red (01-24-2014), BluegrassRedleg (01-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think Bill James has it right (not saying you don't; no idea). What struck me is that the computer was missing it, but all three human beings got him.

Two seasons back, I came to some peace with Jay Bruce - wait until the end of the season and see the cumulative statistics. The peaks and valleys are maddening, but at the end of the day, he's a pretty good ballplayer.
    I think Bruce was more consistent last season than any other before. He started out really slow and then only had one other extended slump during the season. I'm thinking 2014 could be really big for him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

9. Likes:

smixsell (01-27-2014)

So, the Reds have no top 10 players at any of the positions mentioned so far. Jay Bruce, clearly the team's second best player, was only honorable mention in RF (I think he's better than some of the guys ahead of him) and is the only guy to even get a mention in passing (including the starting pitchers). I imagine Votto will be in the top 5 at 1B and Phillips may make the bottom of the list at second but it will be close and I think there are ten better myself.

I'm sure those of us concerned that the Reds are falling behind the competition in the NL with no moves to improve or restructure will be told this is a bunch of hogwash, but the position players on this team are a real concern.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

11. Likes:

Old NDN (01-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    That's kind of surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So, the Reds have no top 10 players at any of the positions mentioned so far. Jay Bruce, clearly the team's second best player, was only honorable mention in RF (I think he's better than some of the guys ahead of him) and is the only guy to even get a mention in passing (including the starting pitchers). I imagine Votto will be in the top 5 at 1B and Phillips may make the bottom of the list at second but it will be close and I think there are ten better myself.

I'm sure those of us concerned that the Reds are falling behind the competition in the NL with no moves to improve or restructure will be told this is a bunch of hogwash, but the position players on this team are a real concern.

Votto for sure will be Top 5 in 1B talks. If Phillips is not in the top 5 for 2B, that would be a travesty. I can see only two real players ahead of him (Cano, Pedroia). Bruce got screwed by a computer. There is no doubt he is top 10 for his position.

In my opinion, Votto will certainly be in the top 3 at 1B, but Phillips will not be in the top 10 at 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by cbowen2112 View Post
    Votto for sure will be Top 5 in 1B talks. If Phillips is not in the top 5 for 2B, that would be a travesty. I can see only two real players ahead of him (Cano, Pedroia). Bruce got screwed by a computer. There is no doubt he is top 10 for his position.
    Cano, Carpenter, Kipnis, Zobrist, Pedroia, Utley, Murphy, Kinsler, Kendrick and Scutaro

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    In my opinion, Votto will certainly be in the top 3 at 1B, but Phillips will not be in the top 10 at 2B.
    Do not know about you, but I value defense up the middle more than the bat. To have both is a bonus and rarely seen in MLB, but BP's defense is a plus for any team.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

17. Likes:

jimbo (01-24-2014), Playadlc (02-08-2014)

I didn't know Braun and Bautista played right field. That's a pretty bad right field list defensively. Craig and Beltran. Victorino will be nowhere near this list next year.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    Cano, Carpenter, Kipnis, Zobrist, Pedroia, Utley, Murphy, Kinsler, Kendrick and Scutaro
    Agree on all except that Carpenter is 3B now and think Murphy is a liability on defense (I'd like him as Ludwick's partner in LF though). Aaron Hill needs to be on that list and I wouldn't sleep on Brian Dozier. Neil Walker has a case to be made. Anthony Rendon and Jurickson Profar probably aren't ahead of Phillips now, but may be by season's end. Kolten Wong may be as well.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-24-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Agree on all except that Carpenter is 3B now. Aaron Hill needs to be on that list and I wouldn't sleep on Brian Dozier. Neil Walker has a case to be made. Anthony Rendon and Jurickson Profar probably aren't ahead of Phillips now, but may be by season's end. Kolten Wong may be as well.
    Can't see that at all. But these lists seem to be based on offense only, so you may be right.

Turn Off Ads?