Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can the Pirates fix Edinson Volquez?

Re: Can the Pirates fix Edinson Volquez?

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    He has a strong arm..but at some point just wailing away at a 95+ heater with nothign else to offer isn't much talent.

- About as bad control of the fastball as many
    - Secondary stuff is mediocre to me. SOlid changeup but everything else is weaksauce...and he can't control it much better than his fastball.

I just haven't seen great talent in Edinson...just a fastball thrower which isn't elite talent in MLB perspective.
    I disagree. He's got a plus changeup and a decent slider. The knock on him is inability to make in game adjustments, won't alter his delivery, doesn't take well to coaching. Yes, throwing that hard will always grant him some opportunities, but his head will keep him from having on field success. He'll still probably have career earnings north of $25M when it's all said and done.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Volquez pitched in San Diego without any more success than he had anywhere else. I can't see PNC having much of an effect on him. He is what he is. A very inconsistent pitcher who will always frustrate pitching coaches,managers and fans.
    Yes, even watching him pitch for an opposing team is an exercise in futility. One of the hardest to watch aspects of MLB is watching pitchers nibble who have poor control in the first place.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Can the Pirates retread Volquez?
    The organization uses every tool to tinker with struggling pitchers looking for a fix.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...r-track-record

In most cases, the Pirates work their magic with mechanical tweaks rather than major overhauls. They incorporated a Luis Tiant-type hip turn with Locke, smoothed out a hitch or two in Liriano's windup, and let Morton throw from his natural three-quarter angle, rather than over the top, to facilitate a more repeatable delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    Can the Pirates retread Volquez?
    The organization uses every tool to tinker with struggling pitchers looking for a fix.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...r-track-record
    Whatever they're doing in Pittsburgh is working. It worked with Burnett and Liriano, and Volquez looked pretty stellar against the Cardinals on Sunday.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

He's had some brilliant starts before, so I won't jump all in on calling him corrected just yet.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

7. Likes:

Big Klu (04-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    He's had some brilliant starts before, so I won't jump all in on calling him corrected just yet.
    I'd venture that Volquez's ceiling is still pretty high. It's just that his floor is basically quicksand.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

9. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-08-2014), Tom Servo (04-08-2014)

Volquez did have good games in the past (followed by multiple bad ones)... Iīll wait till he has a little bit more innings under his belt
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

11. Likes:

Big Klu (04-08-2014)

Do threads like these mean that the Pirates aren't stupid anymore and their new fangled ways in the FO actually work?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Do threads like these mean that the Pirates aren't stupid anymore and their new fangled ways in the FO actually work?
    SEAL training for everyone!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I have complete faith in Searage. There are subtle changes in his delivery already. Once they get him to be able to separate the ball from his glove properly and help him get to a better arm swing he will be far more consistent.

Also, I've watched Grandal catch several games and I'm not buying this BS about him being a great framer of pitches. His technique is poor and I watched him turn several strikes into balls each inning I have watched. Just watch him on the inside pitch to a RHB. He drifts like no one I've seen in a long time. I'm beginning to think this metric has some flaws. It's fixable though.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

15. Likes:

Ravenlord (04-08-2014)

Turn Off Ads?