Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jesse Winker Article From Mark Sheldon

Re: Jesse Winker Article From Mark Sheldon

Let's not overthink this. Obviously the Reds hope they can keep Bruce long-term (and they already smartly locked him up through 2018 at a very-reasonable price). But looking at the future, there is Hamilton to play CF, Phil Ervin to play CF (if Hamilton doesn't work out) or Ervin could be a corner outfielder if Hamilton does pan out, and then Winker as a corner outfielder as well. It makes sense to give Winker reps at LF and RF just in the event that he's needed at RF in the future. Chances are good Winker will be a LF, but I see no harm in him starting some games at Bakersfield in RF just to see if he can do it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Every minor league OF should be prepared to play as many positions out there as he possibly can. You never know what is going to happen during a 162 game season. Even if Bruce is still around when Winker is in the majors, you never when an injury might demand Jesse shift over to cover the other OF corner. The Reds need to know whether he can cover both corner positions. It's better to prepare him for that situation now rather than waiting for an emergency to arise at the major league level.

Moving him to a more difficult defensive position cannot be construed as anything other than a positive. It means they have no reservations about his ability to handle LF and want to see if he can handle a tougher assignment.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Versatility is a good thing, especially when trying to reach the majors.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I wouldn't worry about playing multiple positions. If they stuck him at 1B full time then I would be worried. Otherwise it's all a learning experience, a process and as long as he keeps hitting he'll have value to the Reds in more ways than one.

His bat is exciting for sure, but more than anything I'm looking forward to having a guy with that kind of approach on the team. We need more players like that.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-10-2014)

Turn Off Ads?