Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arroyo signs with D-Backs

Re: Arroyo signs with D-Backs

Good for Bronson, but now the Reds have absolutely no depth in the rotation. We better get extremely lucky like 2012 and have no pitchers get hurt, or it is going to be a long year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    I've always said this about Arroyo, not just now. Red's HoF? Do you realize that during Arroyo's 8 years with the Reds, he was only +11 games over .500? So he has basically been just over a .500 pitcher and you think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Instead of calling me stupid for my opinions, you should start working on your level of standards.

Over his 8 years with the Reds he has averaged 9.1 hits/9, 1.36 HR/9, 2.35 BBs/9.
    YES. Reds HoF. Slam dunk. Solid innings eater for a long time in a Reds uni. He'll join O'Toole, Jay, Nolan and other as important, memorable pitchers in Reds history. Maybe you should look at the team's HoF. It isn't the same as the National Hall. It is about importance to the team over a period of time and popularity and identification with the team as well as being a solid player, not necessarily a great player. I don't get the need to run him down as he leaves.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

4. Likes:

JMac84 (02-09-2014)

I don't get the need to canonize him as he hits the door. An 'OK' pitcher IMO but nothing to write home about. Personally, it he was pitching, I'd turn off the game---I hated watching him pitch that much. Time to move on. I'm glad he's gone!

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

I'm going to miss Bronson, but the Reds played this exactly the way they should have. Hear's to hoping Bronson gets another 15 Wins this season and the D-Backs finish with 75 wins.

7. Likes:

JMac84 (02-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Gapper View Post
    I'm going to miss Bronson, but the Reds played this exactly the way they should have. Hear's to hoping Bronson gets another 15 Wins this season and the D-Backs finish with 75 wins.

Agree but more like 13 wins and 12 losses a season, that's what he averaged for 8 years with the Reds. That's pretty much a number 4 starter type stat.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

I think Arroyo will be missed for his durability as much as anything. The guy could pitch and capably frustrated his opponents. He did seem to tire late in games and was susceptible to the long ball late.

I don't see Reds' HOF for him but, he will be missed.

Reds don't have much depth. That will weigh heavily later in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway between View Post

I don't see Reds' HOF for him but, he will be missed.
    Ron Oester is going in the Reds Hall of Fame, Bronson is a mortal lock.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

11. Likes:

JMac84 (02-09-2014)

I liked Tom Browning, and I thought he was a good pitcher but I never realized he was as good as he was. During his career with the Reds he was 35 games over .500.

Jose Rijo was 36 games over .500.

I liked Tom Browning, and I thought he was a good pitcher but I never realized he was as good as he was. During his career with the Reds he was 35 games over .500.

Jose Rijo was 36 games over .500.
    You never knew how good Tom Browning was? And you judge pitchers based on wins? Come on now...

Quote Originally Posted by JMac84 View Post
    You never knew how good Tom Browning was? And you judge pitchers based on wins? Come on now...
    Tom Browning didn't get noticed as much during his best years because of the Braves pitching staff full of studs and Orel Hershiser was in his prime years at the same time Tom was.

...and I'm not just judging people on wins, as I mentioned earlier the thing I hated most about Arroyo was his penchant to give up the long ball. Tom Browning was a screwball pitcher who mostly got ground balls.
    Last edited by Lewdog; 02-09-2014 at 05:43 AM.

Tom Browning didn't get noticed as much during his best years because of the Braves pitching staff full of studs and Orel Hershiser was in his prime years at the same time Tom was.

...and I'm not just judging people on wins, as I mentioned earlier the thing I hated most about Arroyo was his penchant to give up the long ball. Tom Browning was a screwball pitcher who mostly got ground balls.
    Tom Browning lead the league in home runs allowed 3 times.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

16. Likes:

[deleted] (02-09-2014)

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

I am happy for Bronson.
    I agree that BA scared me when he started. There seemed to be at least one game in each season when he gave up a ton of runs in a short period. I thought he was a good player and a solid person, but not the most important part of our staff.
    I hope he has a great year in the dessert!

18. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (02-10-2014)

I'm happy for Bronson. I wish him well.
    Was always one of my favorite Reds but I understand both sides moving on.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

Turn Off Ads?