Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chapman Pines For Cuban Life-ESPN Magazine

Re: Chapman Pines For Cuban Life-ESPN Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Dude, it's not a mystery or anything, his wife straight up asked him why he was sleeping so late and he said it was because he wasn't interested enough to wake up. It's spelled out pretty clearly.

Which hey that's fine if that's what he wants to do if he's doing alright. But the entire gist of the article seems to be how pretty unhappy Aroldis Chapman personally seems to be. Which has nothing to do with baseball, I just hope the guy is okay.
    Dude, his wife asked him a nagging question and he said something to shut her up. Nothing is clear cut from that article.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don't think Aroldis is mega famous like Griffey. Baseball fans know him but outside of that he's just a tall guy. Griffey was known by everybody.
    I agree, it's different. But it occurred to me it might be a similar kind of ennui.

I understand that people overreact from articles like this, but I have considered Chapman a nut for a few years now. Something has always just seemed off about him.

5. Likes:

Ghosts of 1990 (02-08-2014), Old NDN (02-09-2014), TSJ55 (02-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Dude, his wife asked him a nagging question and he said something to shut her up. Nothing is clear cut from that article.
    I understand your point about journalism, but do you honestly think the writer of this article just decided out of nowhere to depict Chapman as depressed and uninterested in baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If it was just one thing maybe, but there are a number red flags there to where I would say he could use some time with a therapist just to talk some things out. He is pretty clearly not a happy guy. I don't know why that has to be controversial.

I don't even necessarily think it portrays him as being uninterested in baseball. He just doesn't want to watch it on TV. He's hitting in the cages even, which is beyond what he's even required to do.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I understand your point about journalism, but do you honestly think the writer of this article just decided out of nowhere to depict Chapman as depressed and uninterested in baseball?
    The ESPN or SI kind of big magazine profile could probably make any of our lives seem like melodramas. Can you imagine going to write a story about this mysterious, prone-to-strange-incidents Cuban Missile and finding out he sleeps all day? But the writer brought back a story.

9. Likes:

757690 (02-08-2014), RedFanAlways1966 (02-08-2014)

I don't get the feeling that he is the sharpest knife in the drawer. Pair that with a lot of money and time and you may have a problem. Just my own speculation.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

11. Likes:

TSJ55 (02-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Sounds like he wants to play first base.
    If he decides its a mortal crime to take a walk, I can think of a place for him.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Also, Chapman is ripped. He clearly lifts and takes care of himself.

Many Cincinnati fans just can't be happy unless every Red is Pete Rose and thinks of nothing but baseball 24/7.
    This.

Fact is everyone thinks baseball players as themselves.

Newsflash: Not always so, rarely even close.

You want to love players? Stick to following their game, not their lives.

14. Likes:

Chip R (02-10-2014), dubc47834 (02-13-2014), jimbo (02-08-2014), JMac84 (02-09-2014), Raisor (02-08-2014), Revering4Blue (02-09-2014)

Haunted by walks

And it's not like Pete used his down time most effectively.

16. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (02-08-2014), Rockermann (02-08-2014), westofyou (02-08-2014)

"So Fla Red"

Chapman is a unique bird. Seems like a loner although I guess good that his parents are with him now. Agree this won't end well although the Reds only have 3 yrs left of Aroldis until FA. Shame the Reds and Aroldis won't maximize his potential value, but we might as well just sit back and enjoy the ride for the rest of his tenure as a Red. And hope everything off the field holds up for Aroldis.

Definitely a lot of red flags in that article with the caveat that ESPN and certainly the magazine is National Enquire-esqe without the credibility. Professional athlete smoking Marlboros and no interest in life at age 25 when you have the world by the balls are both not good signs. As WOY said he is working out somewhere and staying in shape unless he is regressing this offseason.

South Florida has nearly 900,000 Cuban Americans, almost 20% of the metro area. Where he lives in the nice suburbs of Southern Broward/Northern Dade is probably 30-40% Cuban American most with above average income. It's not like he's holed up in Duluth or Buffalo.
    Last edited by oregonred; 02-08-2014 at 01:46 PM.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I don't get the feeling that he is the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    I actually felt the opposite. The guy sounds like he is contemplating his extremely unique and bizarre life. It's a heavy and very weird thing to have so much success at such a young age, and probably even odder when it's for something for which you have little passion.

An article could have been written here casting his life in a much more positive way and nobody would have known the difference. He is surrounded by family (generally thought of as a positive), he is giving back to Cuban athletes (generally thought of as a positive), he goes to batting cages for fun (generally thought of as quirky and fun when pitchers like to hit.) Instead the author chose to highlight his sleep schedule (I wonder if the writer was annoyed he had to wait until 4 for Chapman to wake up, and I wonder how many athletes are night owls), he noted every time the guy smoked a cigarette (ballplayers like stimulants? WHO KNEW?) He frames RedsFest as "mandatory" like Chapman had to be dragged kicking and screaming, even though there's no evidence Chapman minded going (and even if it's not his favorite thing, so what? He showed up, right?)

I'm not going so far as to say the article was unfair, but you could write something like this about a lot of pro athletes.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

19. Likes:

JMac84 (02-09-2014), NNredsfan (02-08-2014)

He was probably lucky he came out at 4. Looks like the parents told the writer he often stays holed up in his room until sunset. On the east coast that's usually at least 5 or 5:30 isn't it?

I would think that living in a mansion in a warm climate and playing a child's game for a living would cure anyone of depression. If not, then his issues are deep and severe.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    There are also a million reasons why he could be sleeping in until 4. The guy works a night job 6 months a year, it's not conducive to a regular sleep schedule..
    I agree with your point. But just for fun, note Chapman's day/night splits esp. save percentage:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits...roldis-chapman
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Turn Off Ads?