• Juan Silva 23/RF/A+

13 41.94%
  • Josh Smith 26/RHP/AA

6 19.35%

Thread: Runoff for Spot #36

Runoff for Spot #36

Avain Rachal
    .253/.397/.360/.757 186AB 41BB 39K 6-2B 1-3B 4-HR 6 steals caught twice
    He'll be 20 in 2014. Drawbacks - high error rate at 2B with decent range. High strikeout rate but insane walk ratio (and he did the same in the AZL). Needs to gain some power but at 6' and 195 the body is there. This isn't a bitty skinny guy here.

Juan Silva
    .271/.386/.414/.799 336AB 16-4-8, 31 steals caught 13 times. Very consistent numbers as he rises. Almost the same numbers at every level so far. Defensively he is a good RFer with a good arm and has played center. Lefty hitter and yes he struggles against lefties. 6' and 190 with good all around tools.

Josh Smith
    RHP 26 and likely AAA this summer. He did have good numbers though.
    160 IP 148 hits and 50BB with 139Ks. Profiles as a #5 starter or most likely in the bullpen at the big league level. One of those guys who doesn't overwhelm you but just gets the job done. Consistent performer at each level so far. FB 90ish can top out around 93. His out pitch is a wicked curve - when he spots it it is very difficult to hit.

Vote for ONE of the above
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 02-10-2014 at 07:17 PM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Runoff for Spot #36

I've always liked Smith's stats, low ERA and good peripherals, and recall having asked why he did not move faster. He started at age 22 and moved only one level each year, thus leaving him a little old for his league all the way up. If he can get the FB up to 93, then I am still puzzled. I seem to remember posts indicating that he was succeeding on breaking balls and that his FB was <90.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I saw Smith later in the year, but he didn't sniff 93.

Reports I've read on Smith indicate he sits 88-90 but can on occasion hit 93. Maybe that is his absolute tops but he can't hit it anytime he wants? His curveball is supposed to be a definite plus pitch. I have seen clips of Smith but not live or in person, I definitely defer to Doug's opinion here.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Voted Silva but it was between him and Smith

Of course I voted for Smith. I'd lose my Lipscomb University alumni status if I didn't vote for him here.

Go Bisons!!!

It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

8. Likes:

redsmetz (02-11-2014)

Here's my Silva over Rachal argument. Both have OB skills, but Silva has done it in full season ball and now he's entering the upper minors. Silva plays sweet defense and has plus speed too. Silva is the more advanced and well-rounded player at the moment.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Silva has been impressively consistent as he advances too. .821, .794, .799 OPS in rookie, A and high A. He may see AAA by season's end if it continues.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Fairly or unfairly, the Reds don't seem to have as much faith in Silva. He had to wait until Yorman Rodriguez was promoted to AA in order to start getting consistent playing time. I think his game is solid, but I can't vote for him here ahead of guys that the organization seems to at least be giving more time to.

Silva here. Agree that he's a little underrated both here and by the Reds.

Turn Off Ads?