Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Heading Down to Spring Training....

Heading Down to Spring Training....

I am making my first trip out to Arizona for Spring Training in March. Any advice from those of you that have been there before? Good restaurants or bars?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Heading Down to Spring Training....

Hey OneEyedJack, whereabouts are you staying?

I went two years ago and had a great time. Cactus League is nice because all the ballparks are in a driveable distance from Phoenix.

Make sure that if you want to check the Reds out, you show up in the morning before their games. I've never felt like I had more access to watching the comings and goings of the team than ever before... Watching Tom Browning throw PFP, for instance, was a lot of fun. Good autograph access too, if that's your thing.

Mark Sheldon did a pretty good write-up on the restaurant and bar scene. Didn't seem like there was much in Goodyear proper when I went, but Scottsdale, Peoria and some of the other communities were worth checking out too.

If you have a day to burn, I recommend a break from baseball to checkout Sedona. Seems like it was about 2-2.5 hours from Phoenix, but we went out for some day hiking, and were able to make it back for an evening game.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

What is PFP?
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    What is PFP?
    Pitcher's fielding practice.

Also, here's a link to that Sheldon article I mentioned: http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2012/...ound-goodyear/

6. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (03-20-2014)

How early do you need to book your travel for Goodyear? Do the hotels in Phoenix fill up during this time period? Or can you pick up and go and expect to get a room down there with decent rates?

Thanks! That Mark Sheldon article is very helpful.

We are staying in the Glendale area. My son has a list of autographs he wants me to try and get for him so I will definitely be heading down to the games early!

Put some Robitussin on it villain612's Avatar

God, I wish the Reds still conducted spring training in Tampa.
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

Mill Ave is the street/area where Arizona State University kids go for their nightlife (in Tempe) if that's not something you're looking for I would avoid it...it's the typical drunken 18-22 year olds. Scottsdale in general has some good places. Old town is neat to just walk around for a bit. One lunch place I really liked was Postino in Phoenix...has a good selection of bruschetta's and sandwiches.

Turn Off Ads?