Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Pirates fail

  1. #1
    Member Chuckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,075

    Pirates fail

    The Pirates didn't give AJ Burnett a $14 million tender offer, because they believed he would either play for only them or retire.

    Whoops.

    Burnett signed with the Phillies today for 1-year, $16 million.

    Pirates would have at least gotten a draft pick. Or perhaps they would have their best pitcher back, at $2 million less for what he ended up signing for with a team across the state.

    That must burn.

    Plus, our good friend Edinson Volquez now all but has a spot in the rotation locked down in Pittsburgh. I hope those pretenders enjoyed their one good season. I love that everyone is predicting they will finish ahead of the Reds. Here's a prediction: They won't. They'll finish fourth.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    90

    Re: Pirates fail

    I'm loving that he signed outside of the division. Now we just need to keep our fingers crossed that they don't try to bring in a Kendrys Morales type player. If not I don't see how they finish above .500 this year.

  4. #3
    Member Rando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    89

    Re: Pirates fail

    lol Volquez. Can't wait to watch him self destruct. At least it won't cost us a win this time

  5. #4
    Gapper Gapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    62

    Re: Pirates fail

    Can't wait to see Volquez pitch all season for the Pirates. Much prefer him every five days for them than Burnett.

  6. #5
    Member Jdattilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    43

    Re: Pirates fail

    He likely would not have received $16 million if tied to draft pick compensation. Bottom line is Pirates didn't want to pay him $14 million so they let him walk.

  7. Likes:

    villain612 (02-25-2014)

  8. #6
    Member Chuckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,075

    Re: Pirates fail

    Quote Originally Posted by Jdattilo View Post
    He likely would not have received $16 million if tied to draft pick compensation. Bottom line is Pirates didn't want to pay him $14 million so they let him walk.
    I disagree. I bet the Pirates would take him in a heartbeat at 1-year, $14 million. They honestly thought he would either re-sign with only them, or retire.

  9. #7
    Gapper Gapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    62

    Re: Pirates fail

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I disagree. I bet the Pirates would take him in a heartbeat at 1-year, $14 million. They honestly thought he would either re-sign with only them, or retire.

    I agree. With all the cheap talent the Pirates have in the system, no reason why they couldn't afford a 1 year $14M commitment.

    They either didn't think Burnett would get another offer at $14M (Which is silly), or they overestimated Burnett's loyalty to Pittsburgh.

  10. Likes:

    dfs (03-12-2014)

  11. #8
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    6,089

    Re: Pirates fail

    The Pirates still have Cole, Liriano, Locke, Morton and Rodriguez. Volquez is going to relieve and be a spot/emergency starter.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

  12. #9
    Member yadontSabo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    central ohio
    Posts
    69

    Re: Pirates fail

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    The Pirates still have Cole, Liriano, Locke, Morton and Rodriguez. Volquez is going to relieve and be a spot/emergency starter.
    With Wandy's recent injury history there's a good chance Volquez could see a lot of innings.

  13. #10
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    6,089

    Re: Pirates fail

    Quote Originally Posted by yadontSabo View Post
    With Wandy's recent injury history there's a good chance Volquez could see a lot of innings.
    Even if Wandy manages to stay healthy there will be some health issues at some point. Just saying that Edinson doesn't have a spot locked up just yet.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

  14. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    58

    Re: Pirates fail

    With all the prospects the Pirates have, not sure why they would want to pay the 37 yo Burnett 14M let alone 16M.

    Burnett and the Bucs burned a bridge when they went with their rookie in game 5 vs Cards last year. He threw a real temper tantrum in the locker room. It's water over the dam but I think the Bucs will find it easy enough to move on.

    So not, I don't think the Pirates fail on that one. Moreover, there's no way they are a sub .500 team.

  15. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: Pirates fail

    I think its a good move for the Pirates....they dont need AJ....I dont think he was that great....sure he is no weak pitcher, I just dont see him as a 14-16 million dollar a year pitcher and its not like the Pirates have copias amounts of money laying around to waste...that money could be better used elsewhere, like at the trade deadline if they are contending....kind of like they did this past year....16 mill goes a long way.

    I see the young Pirates pitching staff as one that will keep them in alot of games....toss in a good defense and they are kind of an exact mold of the Reds with the only difference being that our staff is proven and theirs is not.....but being not proven does not mean they wont be good....I have bought the Pirate kool aide and I believe they are in it for the foreseeable future....I think the central is a 3 team race and I also really like the path the cubs have been taking lately.....I could see them contending in a few years if they can get their pitching staff up to par. The Central is stacking up to be one of the strongest in baseball....good pitching, good defense and young talent everywhere.....It makes for a long season, but it also makes for a fun season.

  16. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (02-13-2014)

  17. #13
    Member Jdattilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    43

    Re: Pirates fail

    Quote Originally Posted by Gapper View Post
    I agree. With all the cheap talent the Pirates have in the system, no reason why they couldn't afford a 1 year $14M commitment.



    They either didn't think Burnett would get another offer at $14M (Which is silly), or they overestimated Burnett's loyalty to Pittsburgh.

    Looks like the Pirates did, indeed, walk away after balking at the thought of coming anywhere close to the $14M mark. Both sides, apparently, got what they wanted. Burnett got paid by not being tied to compensation, and the Pirates saved a couple million.

    http://www.timesonline.com/sports/pi...dab2a83bb.html

  18. #14
    Gapper Gapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    62

    Re: Pirates fail

    Quote Originally Posted by Jdattilo View Post
    Looks like the Pirates did, indeed, walk away after balking at the thought of coming anywhere close to the $14M mark. Both sides, apparently, got what they wanted. Burnett got paid by not being tied to compensation, and the Pirates saved a couple million.

    http://www.timesonline.com/sports/pi...dab2a83bb.html
    I just don't understand why the Pirates wouldn't extend a QO if they were ok offering up to $11M. The $3M increase is not going to make or break the Pirates budget in the coming years. To lose your most reliable high end starter just doesn't seem like the right decision.

  19. #15
    Grouch ac084c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    789

    Re: Pirates fail

    Quote Originally Posted by Gapper View Post
    I just don't understand why the Pirates wouldn't extend a QO if they were ok offering up to $11M. The $3M increase is not going to make or break the Pirates budget in the coming years. To lose your most reliable high end starter just doesn't seem like the right decision.
    I'm guessing that they really expected him to retire. But I'm with you.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25