Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Payroll

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Future Payroll

The Brewers will have a record payroll in 2014, COO Rick Schlesinger tells MLB.com's Adam McCalvy. "No matter how you measure it, and there are a lot of different ways to measure it, I can tell you that it's going to be north of $100 million," Schlesinger said. The COO went on to add:

"The way I look at it, you look at the growth of the industry in general, and how we're doing in revenues locally, and it makes sense. ... The fans over the year have supported us, the national television dollars are increasing, the health of the game from a revenue perspective has never been greater, so it's only natural and fitting that we use those monies to invest in our product." - COO Rick Schlesinger, Milwaukee Brewers

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...#disqus_thread

I hope they are the only NL Central team feeling this way. I know the Reds have upped spending over the last 5 years, but I hope we have at least the same marginal increases in payroll.
    Last edited by Gapper; 02-13-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Re: Future Payroll

They will their current TV Deal is up in a 2015 or 16 which pays them about $30 million total they are looking at a new deal in the $80 million range..

Watch out for the Cardinals as well. They currently are 2nd to last in annual profit for their TV deal. It is up in 2017 and then wow. It almost seems unfair how much money they will be adding to their never-ending list of prospects and depth. Not to mention they have a top 3 team in baseball right now...

I just don't feel good about the Reds' future.
    Last edited by PeteRoseDay; 02-14-2014 at 02:21 AM.

4. Likes:

Reds&BuckeyeGuy (02-14-2014)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRoseDay View Post
    Watch out for the Cardinals as well. They currently are 2nd to last in annual profit for their TV deal. It is up in 2017 and then wow. It almost seems unfair how much money they will be adding to their never-ending list of prospects and depth. Not to mention they have a top 3 team in baseball right now...

Well we just need to use Oakland's recipe.

My goodness that contract will be crazy, for sure.. Wow, that is a bit depressing to hear because you know they already know how to win with league average money...

Quote Originally Posted by Reds&BuckeyeGuy View Post
    My goodness that contract will be crazy, for sure.. Wow, that is a bit depressing to hear because you know they already know how to win with league average money...
    I'm hoping by 2017 there are better luxury taxes as well as easier ways to watch games via online which will bring in tons of extra revenue.

None of that will happen because it's the MLB though

This year the Reds have shown that money is a problem. I'm not optimistic about signing our rotation long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    This year the Reds have shown that money is a problem. I'm not optimistic about signing our rotation long term.
    I'd say that we don't necessarily WANT to sign everyone longterm. I'd say Bailey and Latos but beyond that, you need to find good, young pitching that you can control cheaply for a multitude of years. Granted, that's not easy...but when you have the Reds payroll limitationsl, you can't sign every good pitcher you have longterm.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

"So Fla Red"

The Reds have as good or better regional market than St Louis for TV rights. There just aren't many towns of significance in their viewing area even if you extend down into Arkansas and Memphis into Western Indiana/KY and a slice of Iowa. And certainly much better than Milwaukee and Pittsburgh. Milwaukee needs to add payroll fast or lose the halo of drawing 2.5+M fans with crappy teams.

Once the bloom falls off it is hard to get it back (Cleveland, Balt, Seattle, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    The Reds have as good or better regional market than St Louis for TV rights. There just aren't many towns of significance in their viewing area even if you extend down into Arkansas and Memphis into Western Indiana/KY and a slice of Iowa. And certainly much better than Milwaukee and Pittsburgh. Milwaukee needs to add payroll fast or lose the halo of drawing 2.5+M fans with crappy teams.

Once the bloom falls off it is hard to get it back (Cleveland, Balt, Seattle, etc.)
    Not even close, but I want to dream too.

"So Fla Red"

Not even close, but I want to dream too.
    #14 - Please enlighten me with your facts

If you think the Reds will get a bigger TV deal than the Cardinals, then you are making stuff up. I'll just leave it at that.

I'm still excited about our upcoming negotiation though. It should give the Reds a lot more flexibility.

"So Fla Red"

If you think the Reds will get a bigger TV deal than the Cardinals, then you are making stuff up. I'll just leave it at that.

I'm still excited about our upcoming negotiation though. It should give the Reds a lot more flexibility.
    That's a good comparison. I think the team that starts its own regional network gets the bigger deal and the Reds would have more to gain on that front. If both stay with Fox, the Reds should be getting an equal or better deal. The population base in Reds Country within 100, 150, 200 and 250 miles is much higher than the Cardinals.

Reds have 7 of the top 65 Nielsen markets in Reds Country and two major markets in Indy (#26) and Columbus (#32). With Knoxville (#61), Nashville (#29) and smaller but top 100 Toledo, Tri-Cities (#97) and Evansville (#104), Ft Wayne (#109) at the edges.

Memphis (#50), with Springfield, MO (#75), Paducah/Cape Girardo gives them 4 of the top 81. You could argue Little Rock (#56) but that's 350mi SW and Des Moines (#72) is a free for all. And Evansville.

STL itself has a 40% bigger local core than Cinci. Since the Cinci market is boxed in with five local TV markets within 100 miles in all directions, but Cinci/Dayton is 15% bigger.
    Last edited by oregonred; 03-07-2014 at 08:36 PM.

That's a good comparison. I think the team that starts its own regional network gets the bigger deal and the Reds would have more to gain on that front. If both stay with Fox, the Reds should be getting an equal or better deal. The population base in Reds Country within 100, 150, 200 and 250 miles is much higher than the Cardinals.

Reds have 7 of the top 65 Nielsen markets in Reds Country and two major markets in Indy (#26) and Columbus (#32). With Knoxville (#61), Nashville (#29) and smaller but top 100 Toledo, Tri-Cities (#97) and Evansville (#104), Ft Wayne (#109) at the edges.

Memphis (#50), with Springfield, MO (#75), Paducah/Cape Girardo gives them 4 of the top 81. You could argue Little Rock (#56) but that's 350mi SW and Des Moines (#72) is a free for all. And Evansville.

STL itself has a 40% bigger local core than Cinci. Since the Cinci market is boxed in with five local TV markets within 100 miles in all directions, but Cinci/Dayton is 15% bigger.
    You forgot about Tulsa(#59), Oklahoma City(#41), Quad Cities, Springfield, IL(#82), Davenport - R. Island - Moline#99),Ft. Smith - Springfield(#101), Evansville(#104), Peoria - Bloomington (#116), Columbia - Jefferson City(#138), some games are aired in Tupelo(#133), Rockford(#138). Joplin - Pittsburg(#149).

I doubt the money really matters outside of the main local market. But if it does. How do you think the Cardinals draw 3.2 mil+ per season. Trust me it's not coming from St. Louis. The cardinals have such little competition in Oklahoma, most of Missouri, Southern IL, Arkansas, Western KY, and Western TN.

Cardinals on FOX Sports Midwest

Cardinals telecasts air on FOX Sports Midwest in most of Missouri, central and southern Illinois and Iowa (check with local provider for availability in Iowa).
    Cardinals on FOX Sports Indiana

Cardinals telecasts air on FOX Sports Indiana in southwest Indiana. If the Cardinals and Indiana Pacers play at the same time on FOX Sports Indiana both games will be shown in southwest Indiana, with one game appearing on the primary FOX Sports Indiana channel and the other game on an alternate channel that is sometimes labeled FOX Sports Plus.
    Cardinals on SportSouth and FOX Sports Tennessee/South

SportSouth and FOX Sports South/FOX Sports Tennessee will carry most regular season Cardinals games in parts of Tennessee, Kentucky and Mississippi. The remaining games are available on an alternate channel on some cable systems. Some games are not available in some areas. The SportSouth and FOX Sports South/FOX Sports Tennessee schedule will be announced in March.
    Cardinals on DirecTV and Dish Network in Western Kentucky

Cardinals games are available in western Kentucky via FOX Sports South and its alternate channel. We encourage you to contact DirecTV or Dish Network to request that FOX Sports South be added to DirecTV's Total Choice lineup or Dish Network's America's Top 120 Plus lineup in your area.
    Cardinals FOX Sports Midwest telecasts in Arkansas and Oklahoma

In Arkansas and Oklahoma, FOX Sports Midwest Cardinals telecasts are available and shown on an alternate cable channel, sometimes labeled FOX Sports Plus - rather than the primary channel designated for FOX Sports Southwest/FOX Sports Oklahoma.
    Cardinals on Satellite and Telco

That's interesting. The Reds have a 15% bigger market within 100 miles of Cincy yet they draw almost a million less than STL in attendance.

Turn Off Ads?