Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where will the Reds finish ?

Re: Where will the Reds finish ?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds&BuckeyeGuy View Post
    That is a bit depressing to try and comprehend...
    Addressed their weakest position from last season (Catcher) with a AAAA player and a bigger role for a two year disappointment.
    Converted one of it's few strong positions (CF) to a huge question mark that doesn't appear to be ready.
    Relying on a comeback from a 36 y/o LF to solidify the middle of the order.
    The All Star 2B is on a 3 year decline and is now looking at his prime age seasons in the rear-view mirror. They've simply gone backwards from last season's team....

... and last season's team barely made the play-offs by qualifying in the last spot that didn't even exist prior to last season and then went out with a whimper. Other teams that missed the play-offs have improved (Washington, AZ, SF to name three). The Reds best hope is that Pittsburgh seems to have fallen even further than the Reds have (but the Pirates have more hope from a boost from their system as the season progresses) and Atlanta has gone pretty far backwards IMO.

It's not hopeless, but a lot would need to go right in Cincy coupled with some things going wrong elsewhere. That could happen too. It's time to root for it all to work out.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?
    There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    Depends on 3 guys. Hamilton, Frazier, and Ludwick. If all 3 can produce at the plate then we can be at the top come September. If not, the Cards and Pirates may be too far gone for us to smell their exhaust.
    I agree with this.
    I'd also just add that the starting rotation needs to stay relatively healthy. We don't have an innings eater like Arroyo anymore.
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    I agree with this.
    I'd also just add that the starting rotation needs to stay relatively healthy. We don't have an innings eater like Arroyo anymore.

I just don't see 5 starters staying healthy, especially with concerns on Cueto and Latos. We have no depth anymore since Arroyo left as you mentioned. I have a bad feeling about this season to be honest. There are far more "ifs" than the past few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRoseDay View Post
    I just don't see 5 starters staying healthy, especially with concerns on Cueto and Latos. We have no depth anymore since Arroyo left as you mentioned. I have a bad feeling about this season to be honest. There are far more "ifs" than the past few seasons.
    Where do you think Cingrani should have been stashed if Arroyo had stayed?

Quote Originally Posted by yadontSabo View Post
    Where do you think Cingrani should have been stashed if Arroyo had stayed?
    Bullpen or the minors to get more work in. I know he really doesn't have much more to prove at AAA, but it's a thought. Just because you have 5 starters doesn't mean that's all you want.

Look at the Cardinals. They have Joe Kelly and Carlos Martinez (who has potential to be an ace or #2 starter) stashed away in the pen.

I'm not really arguing that Arroyo should have stayed anyways as that would have affected the Bailey signing. It's just that the Reds have absolutely no SP depth. It happens to many clubs every year, and it is happening to the Reds in 2014.

Accompany that with the many question marks in the field, and the Reds very well might be fighting for 3rd place.

Bullpen or the minors to get more work in. I know he really doesn't have much more to prove at AAA, but it's a thought. Just because you have 5 starters doesn't mean that's all you want.

Look at the Cardinals. They have Joe Kelly and Carlos Martinez (who has potential to be an ace or #2 starter) stashed away in the pen.

I'm not really arguing that Arroyo should have stayed anyways as that would have affected the Bailey signing. It's just that the Reds have absolutely no SP depth. It happens to many clubs every year, and it is happening to the Reds in 2014.

Accompany that with the many question marks in the field, and the Reds very well might be fighting for 3rd place.
    I think they'd be more inclined to stick him in the bullpen because of his abilities but that would definitely be a shame as he needs to be making starts and I'm glad it's at the major league level.

I know there's no way of knowing how Holmberg or Wang will fair in the bigs but a lot of teams run guys like that out there every 5th day with success. Most teams are nowhere near as good as we are top to bottom in the rotation.

The cards have crazy good major league ready farm talent right now and didn't have to sign any big pitching contracts this year. Don't get me wrong I'm worried about what happens when someone goes down too I just think the best possible pitching moves were made this off season as I don't really see any other viable options.

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

I don't see all 5 staying healthy all year, I'll grant you that. That's why I said "relatively" healthy.
    With that said though, I don't blame them for not extending a QO to Arroyo either, although I like him a lot.
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

I'm not worried about pitching depth. After the first 5 there is Holmberg and Rogers, Crabbe, Corcino (maybe), Wang and by mid season perhaps Stephenson. Holmberg is a solid pitching prospect and Rogers may be better than we expect. I'm confident things will be much better if they need to go to Louisville than last years Villareal and Reynolds wreck.

Getting a reasonable OBP (and I mean .310 or so - not trying to expect too much) from Hamilton and Devin Mesoraco asserting himself as a top hitting catcher are important but the health of the starting 8 concerns me more than the pitching. If any of those guys go down there is little to nothing to take their place that produces at the same level, no matter how anemic you think Cozart or Frazier are. Imagine replacing them with Hannahan or Argenis Diaz. Mes goes down and it's Pena and Ramirez. Soto would have to replace Votto. Even the thought of one of the starting 8 going down makes me puke in my mouth a little bit.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-21-2014)

Agreed. Which brings me back to my initial point:

The Reds depth scares me.

1st or second in the Central is my prediction. We're going to the playoffs again. I bet we trade for a bat in late June or July to help get us over the hump.

Best case scenario 2nd in the division probably 88-90 wins. Worst case 3rd place just behind the pirates. Outside of the cardinals the NL Central has gotten worse not better.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed91 View Post
    Best case scenario 2nd in the division probably 88-90 wins. Worst case 3rd place just behind the pirates. Outside of the cardinals the NL Central has gotten worse not better.
    ^ This. Agree completely.

I think it's unfair to constantly compare what the Reds are doing against the Cardinals. Yes, they're in the same division, but St. Louis is so far ahead of everyone (except maybe Tampa Bay) when it comes to scouting, drafting, and developing young talent that it isn't a fair comparison. Add onto that the fact that they usually have a higher payroll than us (except probably this year because of all of their young talent) and it isn't a fair fight. My point isn't to praise the Cardinals (yuck) but to try and compare what the Reds have done against the rest of the NL. LA is better than us but how could we compete with that kind of spending? The same goes for Atlanta as well. I'm not sold on the Nationals returning to form yet and I think it's kind of BS that they pick up a new manager and are expected to be amazing, but we pick one up and are expected to be worse. I'm saying we're neck and neck with the Cardinals all year. Loser gets one of the wildcards.

Where will the Reds finish ?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsAndCatsFan View Post
    I think it's unfair to constantly compare what the Reds are doing against the Cardinals. Yes, they're in the same division, but St. Louis is so far ahead of everyone (except maybe Tampa Bay) when it comes to scouting, drafting, and developing young talent that it isn't a fair comparison. Add onto that the fact that they usually have a higher payroll than us (except probably this year because of all of their young talent) and it isn't a fair fight. My point isn't to praise the Cardinals (yuck) but to try and compare what the Reds have done against the rest of the NL. LA is better than us but how could we compete with that kind of spending? The same goes for Atlanta as well. I'm not sold on the Nationals returning to form yet and I think it's kind of BS that they pick up a new manager and are expected to be amazing, but we pick one up and are expected to be worse. I'm saying we're neck and neck with the Cardinals all year. Loser gets one of the wildcards.

Pretty sure the Nationals are expected to be better because they upgraded (Doug Fister) while we downgraded (Choo). Doesn't have much to do with the managers if it all. Also it's necessary to compare us to the cardinals because the question is where will we finish and they're in our division.

This is a reds board right? : )
    Reds win division. Price develops a reds TEAM. All for one, one for all. Gutty wins and each player determined to focus and be accountable to the team.

Turn Off Ads?