Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Reds & Homer Bailey agree on 6 yr / $105 Million Contract

Re: Bailey and Reds nearing deal- 6y/100m

man, never thought they'd do it, but I'll be stoked to be wrong if it happens. A bit of a risk (6 years) for a pitcher, but the kind of risk a club like the Reds will have to take in the current salary environment.

Next order of business: a 4th OF who can bat LH'd and cover both LF & CF.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Next year:

* Start off offering Latos the same deal. If he says no, maybe a little more with a voidable year or two

* If Latos says no, offer Cueto 3 years in the $50M range (possibly with an option for a fourth)

* Offer Leake as a last resort if you can't get a deal with Latos or Cueto. Somewhere in the 5 years $80M range

Deal the two odd-men-out for young talent to keep advancing this team's "Window." This offense must be boosted at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    You know, I still wish the Reds had re-arranged the offense a bit in the off-season. Not necessarily a huge addition, but something.
    Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat. I was surprised they didn't land someone. At the same time, though, I didn't see a whole lot of obvious options out there beside re-signing Choo. And, if it came down to either Choo or Bailey, I can't really fault them for going with the 28 year-old pitcher with remaining upside instead of the 30+ year-old OF who most likely just had his career year.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Next order of business: a 4th OF who can bat LH'd and cover both LF & CF.
    At the same time? That's a pretty tall order! I suppose The Flash is still unsigned...
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

I can honestly say I didn't think this was going to happen. But I'm glad.

So why is a Plain Dealer writer breaking this story?

Pay attention to the open sky

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...1&sf22903294=1

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty could not be reached for comment Sunday evening. Jocketty and Bailey said that the sides were continuing to talk about a multi-year deal.

A Reds official, speaking under the condition anonymity, told the Enquirer Sunday night that “nothing has changed.”

Maybe Walt is just busy with the finishing touches?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat. I was surprised they didn't land someone. At the same time, though, I didn't see a whole lot of obvious options out there beside re-signing Choo. And, if it came down to either Choo or Bailey, I can't really fault them for going with the 28 year-old pitcher with remaining upside instead of the 30+ year-old OF who most likely just had his career year.
    Not to belabor the point, I'm talking about adding a couple of platoon players for the offense. A perfect guy would have been Eric Chavez who got $3.5 million. Or a D'Aza. Or probably a dozen others in the $5 million or below category.

Now everyone will pick apart those two examples, ah RedsZone. Those are types of players, not guys they specifically should have obtained.

Point is that Bailey IMO would not excuse all the inaction on offense. But I certainly do see how a big time expensive player like Choo wouldn't have worked.

10. Likes:

LoganBuck (02-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    But he doesn't want to be in Cincinnati no more...
    He wants out of the Great American Ball Park ASAP and would like to pitch in Texas.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

12. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (02-17-2014)

Not to belabor the point, I'm talking about adding a couple of platoon players for the offense. A perfect guy would have been Eric Chavez who got $3.5 million. Or a D'Aza. Or probably a dozen others in the $5 million or below category.
    Naw, I feel you. I knew that was what you were talking about from your comments on other threads, and your arguments make good sense.

Thing is, though, I'm kind of starting to trust Walt and Bob in a certain way, despite myself -- or at least to understand that they are very deliberate decision makers with a long-term plan. I would imagine those names were discussed and, perhaps, dismissed. Chavez has a really spotty injury history, for instance; maybe they didn't want to take that risk. Maybe they didn't feel like D'Aza was enough of an upgrade over what they already had (Heisey, a healthy Ludwick, etc.) to plunk down the cash. I dunno. But I'm starting to give this front office the benefit of the doubt... IF they sign Bailey as rumored, that is, especially.
    Last edited by RedEye; 02-16-2014 at 10:27 PM.

14. Likes:

Kc61 (02-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    He wants out of the Great American Ball Park ASAP and would like to pitch in Texas.
    He is also a lion-hunting sociopath who curses after he throws no-hitters. Don't they know that Reds baseball is a family game?

16. Likes:

bigredmechanism (02-16-2014), Tom Servo (02-16-2014)

Reds are funding this deal with the increase with the national tv contract. With the local tv contract expiring I believe in 2016, the Reds would have to be looking down the road with increase tv revenues to pay for Votto, Phillips, Bailey and others salaries.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Reds are funding this deal with the increase with the national tv contract. With the local tv contract expiring I believe in 2016, the Reds would have to be looking down the road with increase tv revenues to pay for Votto, Phillips, Bailey and others salaries.
    Walt today in the Bowden interview said that the TV revenues will help the Reds in the future.

Not sure exactly what he meant, whether he was referring to national or local revenues, not sure if he meant to include or exclude any Bailey deal.

But that's my recollection of what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    At the same time? That's a pretty tall order! I suppose The Flash is still unsigned...
    Someone who can split time with both Ludwick and Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Somone who can split time with both Ludwick and Hamilton
    I know, I was trying to make a joke. Sorry.

Now everyone will pick apart those two examples, ah RedsZone. Those are types of players, not guys they specifically should have obtained.

Point is that Bailey IMO would not excuse all the inaction on offense. But I certainly do see how a big time expensive player like Choo wouldn't have worked.
    In the OF, I'd like Will Venable or Gerardo Parra, (I still like Matt Joyce as well, but Venable and Parra are more versatile defensively). In the INF, I'd love to see them find a way to pry Nick Franklin away from Seattle (not an easy task) or someone similar.

Turn Off Ads?