Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bailey Extension Rumor

Bailey Extension Rumor

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...medium=twitter

This is exciting. If it ends up as 6 years $100M, I think it will end up alright with the Reds. Win-win. That number might seem high now, but I think halfway through the deal, it will look pretty appropriate with the rise in salaries. It be nice if we tacked on an option year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bailey Extension Rumor

if 6 years $100M is accurate that is a win for the Reds.

I approve this possible deal

The only way we'll know if this is a good deal for the club is to wait 2 years and see where Bailey is. Pretty big risk for a guy who has always had a lot of potential but never put it all out there for an entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    The only way we'll know if this is a good deal for the club is to wait 2 years and see where Bailey is. Pretty big risk for a guy who has always had a lot of potential but never put it all out there for an entire season.
    I agree to an extent, but if the contract numbers are accurate I think its a risk the reds need to make. Even if Homer implodes this season I cannot fault Walt. After this season if Homer had anywhere close to his 2013 numbers he was going to get a lot more than $100M in free agency. This move instantly makes the Reds pitching rich(pending health) through 2015, and once Robert Stephenson is ready this makes a SP possibly trade bate. That may be next year or possibly even near the deadline to bring in a big bat to push the Reds to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by No pants Mcgee View Post
    I agree to an extent, but if the contract numbers are accurate I think its a risk the reds need to make. Even if Homer implodes this season I cannot fault Walt. After this season if Homer had anywhere close to his 2013 numbers he was going to get a lot more than $100M in free agency. This move instantly makes the Reds pitching rich(pending health) through 2015, and once Robert Stephenson is ready this makes a SP possibly trade bate. That may be next year or possibly even near the deadline to bring in a big bat to push the Reds to the next level.
    ^This. The extension is definitely a risk, but this is one that I think is a good bet. Much more satisfying to bet on your own guys and go for it, than to just let Bailey leave and take a draft pick. This deal will give the Reds Bailey's prime years and he won't be ancient when the deal is up.

The extension makes Bailey an affordable commodity in the future. If they want to keep him they can, and if they really need another piece of the team more than starting pitching, his contract looks good to other teams.

9. Likes:

Wishbone C (02-18-2014)

I think this is great (if the contract is finalized, that is).

Not only will this ensure that a cornerstone of the rotation will be cemented for years to come, but it will also put to rest all the needless speculation concerning Bailey's supposed dislike for the organization that drafted him out of high school. As someone mentioned earlier, this also works to make Bailey an affordable commodity, which is always good insurance (barring good health, of course). For those worried about Bailey living up to the deal, I'd offer that the organization must be pretty confident both in his abilities and health to throw that kind of money at the guy's arm. Anything can go wrong, but a lot can go right.

With all that said, I wonder how this will affect the chances of signing Latos and Bruce long-term. You have to assume that at least one or probably both of Leake and Cueto will not be hanging around after their contracts expire, though I suppose people felt the same way about Phillips once the Votto deal was completed.

This makes the offseason a winner if it transpires, IMO. Might sound crazy, but to lock up a young No. 2 starter, possible ace, like Homer who is just now reaching his prime is very exciting as a Reds fan. I've been critical of Jocketty, but kudos to him for getting it done (if it does get finalized) and kudos to Castellini for being willing to spend some $$ as usual. He's been refreshing as an owner, especially with the dolt Mike Brown just down the road. (Yes, I know the Bengals have been good. But Mike Brown still sucks.)

And it's not like the Reds did absolutely nothing this winter. The Skip Schumaker signing was a key under-the-radar move by Walt. I also like getting a 22-year-old, left-handed pitcher like David Holmberg in exchange for Ryan Hanigan. It's Mesoraco's time to get the majority of the starts and I think the Reds definitely got the most they could for Hanny, especially with him coming off a bad year.

The Bailey signing is just the momentum this team needs heading into the season -- just like with the Votto and BP signings just before the excellent 2012 season.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-d...-homer-bailey/

Fangraphs just posted this article on Bailey. Pretty interesting showing what he has improved on over the last year or two.

Please let this happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

I think Bailey- Latos - Leak get done. Cueto gets traded after 2014 or take the pick after 2015. Stephenson takes Cueto's spot. Extra arms that develop in the minor's get moved to the rotation and current starter gets traded or prospects get traded for equal value position players. I think the front office wants the Reds to be the Braves of the 90's with hopefully more hardware at the end of the run.

I think we are sitting pretty sweet right now. Barring injuries of course.

Hope this doesn't keep the Reds from signing Latos after next season. I will be the first to admit I am surprised (and wrong) about Bailey willing to stay here. Wait and see I guess. Go Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    Hope this doesn't keep the Reds from signing Latos after next season. I will be the first to admit I am surprised (and wrong) about Bailey willing to stay here. Wait and see I guess. Go Reds.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    If there's anything that can change a guys mind it's 100 million bucks

Turn Off Ads?