Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bailey Extension Rumor

Re: Bailey Extension Rumor

One of the nice aspects of this signing is that it helps extend the window of contention through 2015 (at least) because we have Bailey, Cueto, Latos, Leake and Cingrani all locked up through the next 2 years (with Stephenson on the fast track). With that type of starting pitching, you don't even have to hit all that much to be in the mix.

It also gives us a lot more flexibility and potentially gives us a really nice trade chip at the deadline this year. If Holmberg or Stephenson is ready for a mid-season promotion, the Reds would be able to trade Cueto or Leake possibly for a big bat. With 1.5 years left on those guys' contracts, they would have more value than .5 season of Homer (had we not got the extension done).

Great move by the Reds here.

2. Likes:

Wishbone C (02-18-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Taking a while for this to become official. Hopefully this means the reds are hammering out a deal that's tilted in their favor.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed91 View Post
    Taking a while for this to become official. Hopefully this means the reds are hammering out a deal that's tilted in their favor.
    I think there is a little bit of an artificial deadline Thursday morning with the arbitration hearing. Lawyers procrastinate at least as much as the general public, so I would guess it takes until sometime tonight to become official.

If we don't hear it become official in the next 24 hours, I would start to worry.

Also, the delay shouldn't tilt things in either side's favor.

They might be discussing how much money they can deffer to future years much like the Griffey deal.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I like it all the way around!

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...an-100-million

Per Heyman - The contract, if finalized, will be for between $100 million and $110 million over six years, according to scources, and including a seven-year option. Bailey would be eligible for free agency after the 2014 season, but there is optimism the pong-term deal will be consummated.

This is interesting. The money isn't significantly different than before when you move it over 6 years. I really hope we get a nice option at the end of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapper View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...an-100-million

Per Heyman - The contract, if finalized, will be for between $100 million and $110 million over six years, according to scources, and including a seven-year option. Bailey would be eligible for free agency after the 2014 season, but there is optimism the pong-term deal will be consummated.

This is interesting. The money isn't significantly different than before when you move it over 6 years. I really hope we get a nice option at the end of the deal.
    Yeah. I honestly think this is a pretty fair deal for both sides. Homer has consistently shown improvement every single year and he's in his prime. If he hit the free agent market after this season (assuming his 2014 was in line with his 2012/13 years) then I think he'd probably get even more.

Good job to Walt for not letting him hit the market and here's to a good 2014 and beyond for Homer.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2014/...s-on-contract/

per Sheldon- 6 years 105M, Mutual $25M option with $5M buy-out.

Not too shabby. The option isn't as friendly as I wanted, but is still managable. Bailey shouldn't be far from his prime that year, and who knows what the going rate for pitchers will be then. I envision Bailey being a high-end 3 at that time depending on the development of Stephenson and retainment of Latos

Turn Off Ads?