Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Offseason Grade

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

Re: Offseason Grade

Quote Originally Posted by WAKEUP View Post
    Their best move was locking up a talented .500 career pitcher to a huge contract that could hamper a mid-market franchise. Not exactly something to get excited about.
    People still look at W-L records when judging a pitcher?

They lost Choo, one of the only two hitters they could count on to do the most important thing in baseball - not make outs at the plate. His replacement won't be close. He could steal 140 bases and he wouldn't replicate Choo's production.
    Choo is 31, will turn 32 in July. You think the Reds should've signed him at 7 years, $130 million? You criticize the Homer Bailey signing, saying it could "hamper a mid-market franchise" but you criticize them for not keeping Choo, who is 4 years older?

I like Choo a lot and am sad to see him go. But at that price, I will gladly let him go.
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

2. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (02-23-2014), Old school 1983 (02-23-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    People still look at W-L records when judging a pitcher?

Choo is 31, will turn 32 in July. You think the Reds should've signed him at 7 years, $130 million? You criticize the Homer Bailey signing, saying it could "hamper a mid-market franchise" but you criticize them for not keeping Choo, who is 4 years older?

I like Choo a lot and am sad to see him go. But at that price, I will gladly let him go.
    No, that's not what I said. You just have a reading problem.

I think locking up Bailey was good. Saying he's a .500 career pitcher is inaccurate; his career is not over. What I've seen is steady improvement from a kid who was rushed to the big league club, who has made steady improvement, who has the physical attributes and proven through big games that he can be a very good pitcher over the long haul.

I am most concerned with LF and CF. Ludwick is a complete guess as far as I can tell, and I have serious doubts that a kid who is no bigger than my teenager can be the solid anchor they need in the OF. If it comes down to trading OBP for being rock solid up the middle, I'll prefer defense, but I also understand the difficulty they face in addressing both with one player. You take your best shot, which is what they seem to be doing with Hamilton.

I'll give them a B for dealing with the outfield and lead off uncertainties by not blowing a huge amount of money on Choo and instead focusing on Bailey. However, these off season moves necessitate serious consideration of what happens between opening day and July. If Hamilton and Ludwick don't produce AND the Reds don't make moves to address this, then the off season inactivity doesn't make sense, and I'll consider it a D, at best.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 02-23-2014 at 10:26 AM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

There's no Walt only Zuul villain612's Avatar

No, that's not what I said. You just have a reading problem.
    Okay...if you weren't advocating them signing Choo, then why even bring it up in the "offseason grades" thread? There's no reason to bring it up unless you disagreed with them letting him go (unless there's a deal out there you think they should've made). If you're of the mind that it was the right move to NOT sign him at 7/130, then that actually should reflect positive on your grading, as the Reds avoided overpaying longterm for a 31 year old outfielder.

And again, using W-L to judge a pitcher?
    The Bailey deal is somewhat of a risk (all longterms are) but even if he doesn't improve any more and just puts up 2012/2013 type numbers for the majority of that contract, then I think the Reds come out ahead.
    "The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

If Walt doesn't get an F or a D for this off-season, then there is no such thing as a D or F in grading.

The Reds got worse, got older, got more expensive.

Their best move was locking up a talented .500 career pitcher to a huge contract that could hamper a mid-market franchise. Not exactly something to get excited about.

They lost Choo, one of the only two hitters they could count on to do the most important thing in baseball - not make outs at the plate. His replacement won't be close. He could steal 140 bases and he wouldn't replicate Choo's production.

I'd give Walt a D+ with the possibility of moving to a C+ if the Bailey contract works out and the possibility of moving to an F- if the Bailey contract doesn't.

On that note - Walt needs to learn how to lock up players before their 5th and 6th seasons.

The Reds are paying two players Votto and Bailey more than double what they should, because Walt has no clue what he is doing.
    Who does Walt need to lock up RIGHT NOW to a LTC to avoid the apparent "boneheadedness" of signing deals like Bruce and Votto's?

I'm feeling 'eh' about the off season. They signed Bailey to an extension, but pretty much everything after that did not improve the team. Nelson Cruz only got an $8 mil contract from the Orioles.

Turn Off Ads?