Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simon To Start First Spring Game

Simon To Start First Spring Game

https://twitter.com/ctrent

Alfredo Simon will start #Reds Wednesday's Cactus League opener. They'll stretch him out, just in case, and pull back near end of camp

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Simon To Start First Spring Game

<insert fan meltdown about Latos' injury>
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    I woke up this morning after having a dream that the Reds re-signed Bailey to a 5-yr $100MM deal. I hope I'm wrong.
    Baseball Nerdists FB Group

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2014/...-on-wednesday/

Simon is being viewed as a potential rotation candidate, should Mat Latos and his left knee not be ready for the beginning of the regular season.

“We have to look really hard at the guys that are next in line,” Price said on Monday. “If we were to have any setbacks possibly where Mat wasn’t ready to start the season, we have to look at the group that we have here, which would include Simon. He’s got a starters background. He’s got a very durable arm so we want to look at him in longer stretches. We know he can pitch out of the bullpen.”

I'd be happy with both Simon and LeCure being able to start out of the pen in case of an emergency. You can't be too prepared for those kinds of situations.

6. Likes:

NebraskaRed (02-24-2014), Old school 1983 (02-24-2014), redsmetz (02-24-2014), SirFelixCat (02-24-2014), Tom Servo (02-24-2014)

For a short term solution (re: 3 starts or less), I have no issue with Simon being used.

8. Likes:

HokieRed (02-24-2014), LexRedsFan (02-24-2014), Old school 1983 (02-24-2014), Tom Servo (02-24-2014)

Looks like according to C. Trent the spring rotation will start Cueto, Bailey, Cingrani, Leake.

A bit of a surprising move with Wang and Francis on MiLB contracts but given his role having Simon prepared to through longer stretches makes sense. With it being early in the season they can probably go with 4 primary starters for at least one or two trips through the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    A bit of a surprising move with Wang and Francis on MiLB contracts but given his role having Simon prepared to through longer stretches makes sense. With it being early in the season they can probably go with 4 primary starters for at least one or two trips through the rotation.
    Maybe they'll get them in on "B" games.

I thought Latos had an injury from which 80 year old guys recover in 12 hours? I thought Latos was throwing already and the surgery was so minor that it really shouldn't even be called "surgery."

This is so typical in sports. (Not Reds necessarily.) Latos is walking with no limp in one day, really a big nothing. Now, we're stretching out Simon just in case. Then, "we always knew it was unlikely Mat would be ready opening day." Etc.

Of course, I have no idea how Mat will be or how Cueto, Cingrani, Marshall, or Brox will be.

But let's all just remember how you have to read between the lines in spring training. Suddenly this pitcher or that pitcher is doing "long toss." Next the guy will stay in Arizona to get back arms strength, etc.

Hope in the Reds' case this year none of this happens this season, but it's the reason why you have to hold your breath on pitching injuries, especially in spring training when the problems sometimes surface.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-24-2014 at 01:44 PM.

KC, you are overreacting.

14. Likes:

Big Klu (02-24-2014), cumberlandreds (02-24-2014), Mitri (02-24-2014), reds44 (02-26-2014), redsmetz (02-24-2014), Tom Servo (02-24-2014)

Whether Latos is ready for opening day is kinda irrelevant to me. I just want him to make as many healthy starts as possible. It doesn't matter when they are.

I like stretching out Simon in spring training, even if Latos didn't hurt his knee.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

16. Likes:

CySeymour (02-24-2014), HeatherC1212 (02-24-2014), marcshoe (02-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    KC, you are overreacting.
    The general point is that when dealing with recently injured pitchers during spring training:

1. Ignore all the articles saying they are healthy or almost healthy and quoting them with great optimism.

2. Watch carefully during the spring for the little signs that maybe things aren't so perfect. Hopefully these will be few.

3. Take a long sigh of relief and be exceedingly happy if these guys are truly ready to go opening day and seem (from their spring outings and other available info) to be ready.

This will be true in the case of Latos, Cueto (especially), Cingrani, Marshall, Broxton this year. It's a major key to the team's success.

Didn't Price say that, even though this was a minor procedure, it was still going to set him back 1-2 weeks? Following that logic, he may miss the first 2-3 starts, so right what he said. :shrug:

Not a bad idea to stretch out Simon anyhow.
    Wonder if part of the plan is to have Simon in more of a longman role to help shoulder some of the load in the pen?

Better to experiment in spring training than the regular season.
    I'm sure Wang and the other possible fill ins will have ample opportunity to pitch as well.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Didn't Price say that, even though this was a minor procedure, it was still going to set him back 1-2 weeks? Following that logic, he may miss the first 2-3 starts, so right what he said. :shrug:
    Read today's tweets (and likely follow up articles) about Broxton. He threw fifteen pitches off the mound. He says he felt great. He's coming along great. It's all great.

The point is, let's see how great they all are about March 25. Then we'll know more about realistic expectations for the first part of the season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-24-2014 at 02:36 PM.

Turn Off Ads?