Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ryan LaMarre

Ryan LaMarre

Posting this in the minor league forum because there's no way he will make the Reds' 25-man roster IMO.

Serious question: Why is Ryan LaMarre on the 40-man roster? He's struggled at every level of the minors and I don't think there's a chance another team would have claimed him. I just don't get this one. Not a big deal, but while perusing the 40-man roster I couldn't help but notice "Why the heck is LaMarre on there?"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ryan LaMarre

Because the only thing he needs to work on is hitting for an average and he actually hit well in the 2nd half last season.

It's also a stretch to say he has struggled at every level of the minors.

I don't know that another team would have selected him or not, but it wouldn't have surprised me. He would be a solid guy to have on the bench.

4. Likes:

HokieRed (02-27-2014)

Yeah, I think any team a bit thin on OFers could claim him and not hurt themselves keeping him as a 5th OFer.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

The best thing I can say about LaMarre is he's fairly steady in his platoon splits. However that just means he's a judy hitter up against all pitchers. My assumption is that if the Reds need space on the 40-man during the season, LaMarre is a prime candidate to hit the waiver wire.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The best thing I can say about LaMarre is he's fairly steady in his platoon splits. However that just means he's a judy hitter up against all pitchers. My assumption is that if the Reds need space on the 40-man during the season, LaMarre is a prime candidate to hit the waiver wire.
    He wouldn't be my first choice, at least not yet. I want to see how he builds on his 2nd half of last year at the plate. The power started showing up more frequently.

How is it a stretch to say he's struggled at every level of the minor leagues that he's played in? He has a career OPS of .695 and the only time he had a respectable OPS was his first year of pro ball with Dayton in 2010 (.767). I suppose you could make the argument he didn't struggle at low-A ball. But he's struggled everywhere else. Big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    How is it a stretch to say he's struggled at every level of the minor leagues that he's played in? He has a career OPS of .695 and the only time he had a respectable OPS was his first year of pro ball with Dayton in 2010 (.767). I suppose you could make the argument he didn't struggle at low-A ball. But he's struggled everywhere else. Big time.
    Because you noted it yourself, he didn't struggle in Dayton. He didn't struggle in 2011 either. He didn't hit like an All-Star, but for a good defensive center fielder, the guy hit .278/.350/.370 and stole 55 bags. Heck, he played hurt in 2012 almost all season and still hit .263/.356/.353. Again, it isn't an All-star, but it isn't like he was struggling to keep his head above water either.

He struggled in 2013, particularly in the first half. In the second half though, he hit pretty well with a .281/.351/.459 line.

Now, if you say he struggled everywhere to hit for power, sure, you have a point. But you can't say he has struggled everywhere when outside of 2013 he has hit .276, .278 and .263 with OBP's of .350, .361 and .356. That isn't struggling.

10. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (02-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He wouldn't be my first choice, at least not yet. I want to see how he builds on his 2nd half of last year at the plate. The power started showing up more frequently.
    Honestly, I think that was age vs. level. It's nice that he stepped into a few more balls, but it's telling that it did just about nothing to move the needle on his SLG.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Honestly, I think that was age vs. level. It's nice that he stepped into a few more balls, but it's telling that it did just about nothing to move the needle on his SLG.
    Slugged .459 in the second half. That moved the needle.

Slugged .459 in the second half. That moved the needle.
    Overall, no. It dragged his season back up to a hair shy of his career average SLG. My concern about age vs. level remains. LaMarre perhaps got a little hot and feasted on some of the younger pitchers getting called up to AA in the 2nd half of the season (or perhaps against some leftover pitchers getting more IP after better arms headed to AAA and the majors). I generally don't put a lot of stock in outlier 2nd half performances, at any level. Rarely does a player make a magical discovery that completely transforms his game.

Obviously we'll see soon enough whether LaMarre made a significant leap. My general take on him is we've seen what truly quality 4th-5th OF types look like when they come through the system (Brady Clark, Chris Denofia) and so far LaMarre has been an inferior to those previous guys.

Overall, no. It dragged his season back up to a hair shy of his career average SLG. My concern about age vs. level remains. LaMarre perhaps got a little hot and feasted on some of the younger pitchers getting called up to AA in the 2nd half of the season (or perhaps against some leftover pitchers getting more IP after better arms headed to AAA and the majors). I generally don't put a lot of stock in outlier 2nd half performances, at any level. Rarely does a player make a magical discovery that completely transforms his game.

Obviously we'll see soon enough whether LaMarre made a significant leap. My general take on him is we've seen what truly quality 4th-5th OF types look like when they come through the system (Brady Clark, Chris Denofia) and so far LaMarre has been an inferior to those previous guys.
    Those guys aren't like LaMarre. LaMarre is a poor mans Drew Stubbs. Still a 4th outfielder type like the others, just in a different way. Much better defense, better speed and better power potential (though whether he can tap into that is left to be determined).

I've never liked LaMarre as a player which is disappointing given that he is a fellow Wolverine. From the moment he was drafted in the second round, I just didn't get it. Much like Jeff Gelalich.

He is at best a 5th OF. At worst a career minor leaguer. Pretty disappointing for a second round pick.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I've never liked LaMarre as a player which is disappointing given that he is a fellow Wolverine. From the moment he was drafted in the second round, I just didn't get it. Much like Jeff Gelalich.

He is at best a 5th OF. At worst a career minor leaguer. Pretty disappointing for a second round pick.
    Maybe it is just semantics, but what is the difference to you between a 4th outfielder and a 5th outfielder?

To me, LaMarre is a #4 type, but I need to understand what you differentiate between the two guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Here is the list of 2nd round pics drafted from 2000-2004, who made it to the majors for any significant period of time.

46 out of 150 taken in the second round made it to the majors. 20 were regulars. 6 were All-Stars.

If LaMarre becomes a solid 4th outfielder, he'll be in the top 30% of players drafted in the second round.

Xavier Nady
    Dane Sardina
    Tim Hummel
    Chris Narveson
    JD Durbin
    Brain Tallet
    Jason Bourgeois
    Joel Hanrahan
    Manny Delcarman
    Ryan Snare
    Chad Qualls
    Kelly Shoppach
    JJ Hardy
    Dallas McPherson
    Branon League
    Shelley Duncan
    Mike Gosling
    Neal Cotts
    Dan Haren
    Jesse Foppert
    Joey Votto
    Micah Owings
    Kevin Jepsen
    Jon Lester
    Jeremy Reed
    Jonathon Broxton
    Jesse Crain
    Brian Slocum
    Brian McCann
    Tyler Greene
    Fred Lewis
    Chris Snyder
    Mitch Talbot
    Tony Gywnn jr.
    JoJo Reyes
    Tom Gorzelanny
    Ryan Sweeney
    Andre Either
    Nate Schierholtz
    Reid Brignac
    Yovani Gallardo
    Seth Smith
    Billy Buckner
    Hunter Pence
    Jason Jaramillo
    Dustin Pedroia
    Kurt Suzuki
    "I donít know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody".
    óBill Cosby

LaMarre is a poor mans Drew Stubbs.
    I agree, but I also think that's another way of saying he's not going to be a major league ballplayer.

Turn Off Ads?