Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hannahan Had Shoulder Surgery

Re: Hannahan Had Shoulder Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wouldn't buy bitcoins. Period.
    Why is that? Have you done a lot or research on them, or do you just not like the idea of e-money?

All the research I have done points to it being much better than current currency. It takes away the government's (or anyone else's) ability to print more currency which, in a way, is stealing from you. Obviously the main thing holding it back is businesses have to believe in it. It can be used in some places in Vegas though!
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Why is that? Have you done a lot or research on them, or do you just not like the idea of e-money?

All the research I have done points to it being much better than current currency. It takes away the government's (or anyone else's) ability to print more currency which, in a way, is stealing from you. Obviously the main thing holding it back is businesses have to believe in it. It can be used in some places in Vegas though!
    Why? Because a hacker can ruin the entire system.... which actually just happened and lost $425M worth of digital currency. Oh, and no one is insuring against that like banks are insured.

I simply don't understand the idea that that a make believe currency (bitcoin) is safer than money printed by the United States. It is a crazy, crazy notion that some information on a hard drive somewhere is deemed safer than having cash in my hand.

4. Likes:

membengal (03-01-2014),Wonderful Monds (02-28-2014)

Great reporting by the guys on the beat to unearth this in late February. I know he's a backup player, but come on.

This is how things happen like the Cleveland Plain Dealer breaking the news of Bailey's 6-year extension. When is the last time Fay or Sheldon broke a big story?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    Great reporting by the guys on the beat to unearth this in late February. I know he's a backup player, but come on.

This is how things happen like the Cleveland Plain Dealer breaking the news of Bailey's 6-year extension. When is the last time Fay or Sheldon broke a big story?
    When was the last time ANY official team writer (for MLB.com) broke a big story? My bet is never, because they can't speculate or spread rumors. They need to wait until someone else has a rumor out there, so they can then source that. Now, as to why Fay or Rosecrans didn't have that, question away.

nevermind
    Last edited by Orenda; 02-28-2014 at 05:07 PM.

When was the last time ANY official team writer (for MLB.com) broke a big story? My bet is never, because they can't speculate or spread rumors. They need to wait until someone else has a rumor out there, so they can then source that. Now, as to why Fay or Rosecrans didn't have that, question away.
    I don't follow the other 29 teams, but considering Geoff Hobson breaks Bengals news all the time, there is no reason Mark Sheldon can't do the same. I'm sure one of the other 29 MLB.com beat writers has broken a story. Sheldon always seems behind the curve.

Fay, yes, there is no excuse for the beat writer of the Cincinnati Enquirer to never break a story. It's pretty amazing his lack of inside sources.

I don't follow the other 29 teams, but considering Geoff Hobson breaks Bengals news all the time, there is no reason Mark Sheldon can't do the same. I'm sure one of the other 29 MLB.com beat writers has broken a story. Sheldon always seems behind the curve.

Fay, yes, there is no excuse for the beat writer of the Cincinnati Enquirer to never break a story. It's pretty amazing his lack of inside sources.

Hobson breaks what the Bengals tell him to break, nothing more or less. He is a team employee, just like the MLB.com writers are, they let out what the team says is okay.

10. Likes:

Always Red (03-01-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Hobson breaks what the Bengals tell him to break, nothing more or less. He is a team employee, just like the MLB.com writers are, they let out what the team says is okay.
    They actually give Hobson more leeway than you think, he's just responsible about it.

Why? Because a hacker can ruin the entire system.... which actually just happened and lost $425M worth of digital currency. Oh, and no one is insuring against that like banks are insured.

I simply don't understand the idea that that a make believe currency (bitcoin) is safer than money printed by the United States. It is a crazy, crazy notion that some information on a hard drive somewhere is deemed safer than having cash in my hand.
    Our money isn't printed by the United States, it's printed by the privately owned federal reserve. It's no more federal than Federal Express.

But you're right. Stay far away from bitcoin.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

13. Likes:

Always Red (03-01-2014)

I can't recall the last time I saw a story break with an MLB.com/Team writer breaking it. It is always SI/Yahoo/Local Paper/ESPN Guy

Real money is backed by violence, always has been. Let me know when bitcoin gets an army together.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cin&c_id=cin

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- There is a reason that backup third baseman Jack Hannahan has yet to play a game for the Reds this spring. It surfaced on Friday that Hannahan had offseason surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder.

The procedure was performed by team medical director Tim Kremchek a week after the 2013 season ended. Hannahan reported to camp a month early to begin a throwing program.

"I'm about four months out, and it's been a slow process. A lot slower than I'd like it to go," Hannahan said. "It's progressively getting better. I feel a lot stronger every day."

Signed by the Reds to a two-year, $2 million contract with a $4 million club option in December 2012, the shoulder injury might explain why Hannahan struggled to produce at the plate and throw in the field.

Hannahan, who turns 34 on March 4, batted only .216 with one home run and 14 RBIs in 83 games last season.

"I did it close to this time last year in Spring Training," Hannahan explained about his injury. "I was playing first base and dove for a ball. I felt a twinge in my shoulder."

Hannahan hadn't had an MRI exam on his shoulder until one after the season revealed a tear. Not knowing the severity of his injury, he simply stretched his shoulder before games and did his best to heat it up.

"Nobody feels 100 percent throughout a baseball season of 162 games," Hannahan said. "There are aches and pains. Every baseball player goes out and does the best they can. As far as playing third base, it was a lot different figuring out how to get a ball across the infield. Coming into this spring, swinging feels a lot better. I feel like I can stay through a baseball and there is still some discomfort throwing."

Hannahan has been able to take extra batting practice and ground balls to get himself ready, but there isn't a target date for him to play in the Cactus League.

"He's still having to really build up the throwing portion of the recovery," manager Bryan Price said. "That's typically is the biggest challenge in a shoulder surgery rehab. He's progressing. I know he'd like it to go a lot faster. The shoulder, in particular, takes time."

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    https://twitter.com/m_sheldon

https://twitter.com/johnfayman

Maybe this explains why he was awful last year?

Also, maybe this could open a spot that wasn't expected to be open, if he has any setbacks.
    Does it explain the year's before that? Not much better with a good shoulder than a bad (especially as a corner reserve).

Bit Coin didn't get hacked, a brokerage did. The same thing could happen with US Currency. Also if you were dumb enough to put your money in a company called MT Gox - Magic: The Gathering Online eXchange, I would say that is your fault. It's basically impossible to hack the true bit coin.

I hate to tell you this, but that dollar in your hand is truly just paper. There is no gold backing it up. It's only worth something, because we believe it does.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

19. Likes:

wheels (03-01-2014)

May I suggest the bitcoin discussion move to the appropriate forum and have this thread remain about the matter at hand?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

21. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (03-03-2014)

Turn Off Ads?