Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hannahan Had Shoulder Surgery

Re: Hannahan Had Shoulder Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Any word on how hard Hannahan's is throwing post-surgery? Could he be our closer and free up Chapman to be a disgruntled starter against his will?
    Uhh, are you confusing Jack Hannahan with Joel Hanrahan?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I thought his name was Ryan and he played catcher.

4. Likes:

Chuckie (03-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I agree, but in all likelihood Santiago makes the club. Which would probably mean that Nelson doesn't.
    Below quote from Price talking about Santiago would give an indication that you are 100% correct.

"He’s an excellent situational player offensively, putting the ball in play, he’s a hit-and-run guy, he’s an excellent bunter, he can bunt for a hit, he’s smart on the bases,” Price said. “He’s an outstanding defender at second, third and short. That’s where we feel, organizationally, we really needed some support and some experience."

John Fay ‏@johnfayman 2h
    Hannahan is throwing every other day from 90 feet. Feels good. Price: "We'd like to have him Opening Day, but we have some options."

Who is this we?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

8. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (03-08-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Who is this we?
    The guys writing the checks because they have to pay Hannahan regardless of whether he plays or not, but they have to pay someone else too if Hannahan isn't ready.

10. Likes:

Mitri (03-08-2014)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Who is this we?
    I'm really hoping Price is saying things just to help the players' confidence.

The other day he was talking about Negron as if he was a viable option.

Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

what else should the manager say? "I don´t care if he´s healthy or not, redszone doesn´t like him anyway" wouldn´t be the greatest answer a manager could give

13. Likes:

Always Red (03-09-2014),bigredmechanism (03-09-2014),Boss-Hog (03-09-2014),Brisco (03-10-2014),M2 (03-09-2014),Old school 1983 (03-08-2014),RedlegJake (03-08-2014),redsmetz (03-09-2014)

I think Negron is a legit option. If this team is going to carry a no hit, back-up SS, like they have the last few years, Negron wouldn't be so terrible. If we accept that the guy isn't going to hit a la Valdes and Iztruis, then Negron may have a leg up. He's a legit defender at 2B, 3B and SS, he may be the best defensive CF on the roster and he can play both OF corners. He has some speed to make him a viable pinch running option as well. I prefer Santiago at this point, but Negron may be a better idea than guys who are limited positionally and still offer little at the plate (Nelson, Hannahan, Diaz, etc.). Schumaker has some things going for him, but his IF utility is limited to a poor 2B and if he's on the roster, the team may need a guy who can play a lot of positions. Add Pena, Heisey and Santiago and that leaves a need for some IF help IMO.

I'm hoping Soto or Bernadina gets the nod. Soto's ability to play 3B (and maybe catch) vs Bernadina's LH bat is the real question IMO. I have to say that after those two, Negron would probably be my third choice. By June, I think Donald Lutz will be pushing for a big league job and that may change everything.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

757690 (03-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think Negron is a legit option. If this team is going to carry a no hit, back-up SS, like they have the last few years, Negron wouldn't be so terrible. If we accept that the guy isn't going to hit a la Valdes and Iztruis, then Negron may have a leg up. He's a legit defender at 2B, 3B and SS, he may be the best defensive CF on the roster and he can play both OF corners. He has some speed to make him a viable pinch running option as well. I prefer Santiago at this point, but Negron may be a better idea than guys who are limited positionally and still offer little at the plate (Nelson, Hannahan, Diaz, etc.). Schumaker has some things going for him, but his IF utility is limited to a poor 2B and if he's on the roster, the team may need a guy who can play a lot of positions. Add Pena, Heisey and Santiago and that leaves a need for some IF help IMO.

I'm hoping Soto or Bernadina gets the nod. Soto's ability to play 3B (and maybe catch) vs Bernadina's LH bat is the real question IMO. I have to say that after those two, Negron would probably be my third choice. By June, I think Donald Lutz will be pushing for a big league job and that may change everything.
    If Hannahan is out, then Bernadina makes the team and Schumaker plays more infield than expected. Santiago makes the team in any event.

This is the overwhelming likelihood.

Agree. With the recent comments from Price about Santiago it appears he's a lock to make the team.

So that leaves one spot left for Soto, Bernadina, Nelson, Bourgeois, et al.

Based on the spring performances so far, you would think it would be hard for them to send Bernadina down. He's a left hand bat off the bench (replaces Hannahan in that role) and he's another platoon option for Ludwick against tough Rhp.

Santiago can back up Frazier and Cozart. Frazier can cover 1b if Votto needs a day off.

Will be interesting to see what happens when Hannahan is ready though.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Based on the spring performances so far, you would think it would be hard for them to send Bernadina down. He's a left hand bat off the bench (replaces Hannahan in that role) and he's another platoon option for Ludwick against tough Rhp.
    I'll be "ticked" if they don't keep Bernadina. They'll probably lose him if he doesn't stick...he has three opportunities to opt out: March 18, March 28, and July 1.

So when I read that Price considers Negron a viable option because he can play both IF and OF, or that they'd like to have Hannahan back for Opening Day....both of those possibilities leave Roger Bernadina out of the picture. Especially when one considers that Santiago is a near lock as you've pointed out.

I just think Bernadina was a great acquisition considering Hamilton is a rookie, and for the other reasons you mentioned.
    Last edited by malcontent; 03-10-2014 at 04:20 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blog...-reds/6261839/

"It's hard to say," Price said. "He's had a great camp. He's another guy I would have listed as has to have an outstanding camp. It's hard to say. We have a good idea who's going to be on our club, but we also know we could have a couple of guys who won't make the club simply because they're not physically ready to. He'd be a candidate to take one of those spots.
    Hannahan is on the mend from shoulder surgery. If he starts on DL, that opens a spot for Bernadina. Chris Nelson, Neftali Soto and Jason Bourgeois would also be in the mix.

I'll be "ticked" if they don't keep Bernadina. They'll probably lose him if he doesn't stick...he has three opportunities to opt out: March 18, March 28, and July 1.

So when I read that Price considers Negron a viable option because he can play both IF and OF, or that they'd like to have Hannahan back for Opening Day....both of those possibilities leave Roger Bernadina out of the picture. Especially when one considers that Santiago is a near lock as you've pointed out.

I just think Bernadina was a great acquisition considering Hamilton is a rookie, and for the other reasons you mentioned.

Hannahan is fast becoming like the most annoying albatross around this team's neck and that is saying something.

They really want this guy back for what exactly?

Maybe he needed to hit .900.

IMO, if they keep a rehabbing Hannahan over Bernadina because Hannahan's already under contract, they're making a big mistake.

I don't know why it's so "hard to say". They've already pointed out that Santiago plays a decent 3B.

Sunk cost is a lot like OBP, it's really not a hard concept to grasp.
    Last edited by malcontent; 03-10-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Turn Off Ads?