Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hannahan Had Shoulder Surgery

Re: Hannahan Had Shoulder Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Hannahan is fast becoming like the most annoying albatross around this team's neck and that is saying something.

They really want this guy back for what exactly?
    For being a solid defender who usually has decent offensive numbers for a bench player and is known as a very professional team guy.

Hannahan is only an albatross on RedsZone which always finds a bench player for venting. All of us, nobody in particular.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-10-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Hard to say....maybe he needed to hit .900.

IMO, if they keep a rehabbing Hannahan over Bernadina because Hannahan's already under contract, they're making a big mistake.
    The cost to do so is $1 Million. If the Reds are so tight that they won't admit that they made a mistake, and Bernadina looks anything like 2012 and is let go.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

5. Likes:

malcontent (03-10-2014)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Hannahan is fast becoming like the most annoying albatross around this team's neck and that is saying something.

They really want this guy back for what exactly?
    As insurance for Frazier's defense?

Oh wait, Frazier looks like an excellent defensive 3B....
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Hannahan is only an albatross on RedsZone which always finds a bench player for venting. All of us, nobody in particular.
    I've got a primo space on the Bernadina bandwagon.

Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

The Reds have two starting hitters who can't hit a .290 OBP. Their main outfield reserve swings at almost everything. Their third baseman's OPS dropped 108 points last year.

Yet all the criticism is on a guy who hardly plays, is now hurt, and usually hits better than last season.

Enough Hannahan bashing IMO.

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-10-2014), Old school 1983 (03-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I've got a primo space on the Bernadina bandwagon.

I like Bernadina too, save me a seat.

11. Likes:

malcontent (03-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    For being a solid defender who usually has decent offensive numbers for a bench player and is known as a very professional team guy.

There is a better option than having him on the team especially if Roger can get back to his 2012 production. I like Skip better than Hannahan even.

It is not bashing if I am stating the obvious. The Reds can afford to be without Jack if they have Skip.

13. Likes:

M2 (03-12-2014)

There is a better option than having him on the team especially if Roger can get back to his 2012 production. I like Skip better than Hannahan even.

It is not bashing if I am stating the obvious. The Reds can afford to be without Jack if they have Skip.
    I have to agree, mainly because Hannahan is one of the least versatile backup infielders they've had in years. IMO, that's where the frustration lies. Frazier is a very competent defender, so Jack isn't needed as a defensive replacement. I think redszone would take it easier on him if he were capable of playing 15-20 games at short, but that was seemingly only a pipe dream that some fans had last year.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

15. Likes:

mth123 (03-11-2014), Rojo (03-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I have to agree, mainly because Hannahan is one of the least versatile backup infielders they've had in years. IMO, that's where the frustration lies. Frazier is a very competent defender, so Jack isn't needed as a defensive replacement. I think redszone would take it easier on him if he were capable of playing 15-20 games at short, but that was seemingly only a pipe dream that some fans had last year.
    Exactly. Hits like a back-up SS, but can't play SS.

Before last season, I had Hannahan on my list of possibles that the Reds should go after. Lefty Bat with a glove seemed a perfect tandem guy for Frazier's RH bat and still unknown glove. The Reds were in a payroll bind in 2013, so they signed Hannahan for two years and deferred half of the cost in a form of a buy-out. That means the Reds still owe $3 Million at this point. I get trying to get something for that, but the only cost associated with cutting bait would be the cost of his replacement on the roster. Given the alternatives, Bernadina, Soto etc, I don't see how cutting bait would bust the budget. I'm guessing that the Reds still think that Hannahan is the best option if Frazier gets hurt and misses a significant amount of time. They may be right about that. I just don't like the idea of Having to carry Hannahan and another back-up MI as well. One of those spots should go to a bat.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

17. Likes:

LoganBuck (03-11-2014)

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/reds...balls/6327995/

HANNAHAN UPDATE: Jack Hannahan will go with the team to Camelback Ranch tomorrow for the game with the Dodgers. He'll pinch-hit. It will be his first game action of the spring.

Hannahan is coming off offseason shoulder surgery. That curtailed Price's plan for him.

"We're hoping he'd be physically ready because we wanted him to spend time at all the infield positions and maybe play some left field," Price said. "He's not ready to defend yet with his throwing arm."

Price is big on players playing multiple positions.

"We've been playing guys at their second and third position to see what value they provide," Price said. "I know Jack hasn't played a great deal of shortstop in the big leagues, however, if you need a guy to play over there for a game or two, it would be nice to know he's capable. It's just finding a different way to rest your regulars and get your bench guys at-bats."

Now if they really think he could play ss for a game or two that changes things dramatically.

Pena
    Schumaker (cf, lf, 2b)
    Heisey (cf, lf, rf)
    Bernadina (cf, lf, rf)
    Hannahan (3b, 1b, ss)

There. Every position with a backup. Santiago to Louisville for an emergency call up if Cozart is injured.

I like the looks of that bench a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Now if they really think he could play ss for a game or two that changes things dramatically.

Pena
    Schumaker (cf, lf, 2b)
    Heisey (cf, lf, rf)
    Bernadina (cf, lf, rf)
    Hannahan (3b, 1b, ss)

There. Every position with a backup. Santiago to Louisville for an emergency call up if Cozart is injured.
    I personally think it's unlikely that Hannahan would bump Santiago.

Much more likely that he would bump Bernadina, which is why I'm very much against activating/keeping Hannahan.

Unlikely yes. But Price said he wants to find out if Hannahan can play SS

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Unlikely yes. But Price said he wants to find out if Hannahan can play SS
    I think this is Price gently letting Hannahan know that he has to be more versatile to play on this bench.

Hannahan is a vet, so Price isn't going to say it out loud, and they're not going to let him go without letting him play in some games and show that he's healthy again.

I think ultimately Hannahan is gone and Bernadina stays. Yes, even with his contract.

Why should Bernadina replace Hannahan? Because he's new and hasn't yet encountered the slings and arrows of RedsZone?

They have the same lifetime OPS, Bernadina .666, Hannahan .665. But what have they done recently? Hannahan had a bad 2013, .605. But Bernadina's was worse, .545. Both good fielders.

The real question, as some posters note, is whether the Reds need to keep Santiago who hit .555 and .586 OPS the last two seasons. Whether they can live without a true shortstop on the bench. And whether they can upgrade the bench in a deal before the season begins.

Turn Off Ads?