Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cardinals sold 2.6 mil tickets already

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cardinals sold 2.6 mil tickets already

When will we come out of hibernation and fill up the stands day in and day out at GABP?

Just another thing St. Louis is better than us at. Frustrating.

Re: Cardinals sold 2.6 mil tickets already

Good for St. Louis.

I think there are a lot of factors that go into something like that: sustained winning, retention of season ticket holders, metropolitan area, geography, fan-base, general interest, etc. Of course it would be nice to see constant sellout crowds packed into GABP, but that's just not a current reality. I expect to see attendance figures up overall, as they have been consistently over the last few seasons, but it'll take some time before we can even get close to St. Louis's steady attendance figures.

I'd imagine that a World Series, or at the very least a Pennant, would go a long way in making that a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRoseDay View Post
    When will we come out of hibernation and fill up the stands day in and day out at GABP?

I would be be willing to wager heavily that if since 2000 we had been in 8 of 14 NLCS's, 4 WS and 2 WS victories we would be over 3 million in attendance. Not even the Big Red Machine era enjoyed quite that kind of perennial success and last season we hit BRM attendance numbers.
    You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all.

4. Likes:

Bob Sheed (03-03-2014),mattfeet (03-01-2014),RedsAndCatsFan (03-01-2014),Redsfansince72 (02-28-2014),Revering4Blue (03-03-2014)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Where is this number coming from?

6. Likes:

westofyou (02-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Where is this number coming from?
    It was mentioned in their spring training broadcast yesterday.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    It was mentioned in their spring training broadcast yesterday.
    I would like to see something about that.

I say that because I wonder how the number was come up with. Did someone say they have sold X number of season tickets then just multiply? Did that number include all season ticket packages or just full season ticket packages? Those 27 game packages are quite a bit smaller than those 81 game packages. So I want to know if there was some funny math going on there by someone who just heard a number of season tickets sold and just multiplied by 81 when they shouldn't have, or if the Cardinals themselves said they have sold 2.6M tickets already, because there is a very big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would like to see something about that.

I say that because I wonder how the number was come up with. Did someone say they have sold X number of season tickets then just multiply? Did that number include all season ticket packages or just full season ticket packages? Those 27 game packages are quite a bit smaller than those 81 game packages. So I want to know if there was some funny math going on there by someone who just heard a number of season tickets sold and just multiplied by 81 when they shouldn't have, or if the Cardinals themselves said they have sold 2.6M tickets already, because there is a very big difference.
    The number I heard on their broadcast was 2.6 million tickets (seats) sold. But it was the Cardinal broadcast team, and they don't have a great record of accuracy in their reporting, much like most teams TV broadcasting teams.

If it's true, it isn't that uncommon for teams coming off a World Series appearance. Heck, even the Twins sold 2.6 million tickets in the offseason before their new stadium opened. And the Cards are media and fan darlings this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Do you have a source?

if the Cardinals did what the Reds did: tease everybody, NOT win a world series since 1990 and like this off season sat on their hands again, they wouldnt have 3 million fans!! WINNING a World Series Championship and having a team goal to better the team in the off season and at the trade deadline when needed to get to the next step, thats what i want the Reds ownership to be like so the Reds stop being the Cardinals little sister that never gets the prize..

Winning is all well and good, but even the Cubs have better attendance figures and they suck:

2013 Attendance
    Cubs: 2.6M
    Reds: 2.5M

Source: http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Winning is all well and good, but even the Cubs have better attendance figures and they suck:

2013 Attendance
    Cubs: 2.6M
    Reds: 2.5M

Source: http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2013
    If the Cubs played in a metro area the size of Cincy and not Chicago I doubt they would pull the kind of numbers they do.
    You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all.

14. Likes:

Chip R (03-02-2014),Revering4Blue (03-03-2014)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

People don't go to Cubs games for the baseball. Just sayin...
    Rounding third and heading for home...

16. Likes:

Chip R (03-02-2014),Mike Honcho (03-04-2014),yadontSabo (03-01-2014)

I still think the difference lies in a weeknight game when school's in session. The Cardinals are able to sell 38,000+ tix to those types of games, whereas the Reds sell around 20,000. From my experience of being in STL for business at least once or twice a year during home baseball games, I see way more kids out at the game on school nights. Sure, a lot of people will leave around the seventh inning, but that still equals tix sold. I'm not a parent so I don't understand, but does anyone care to comment on why STL parents are ok with bringing their kids to the game on a weekday, vs. Cincy parents?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsAndCatsFan View Post
    I still think the difference lies in a weeknight game when school's in session. The Cardinals are able to sell 38,000+ tix to those types of games, whereas the Reds sell around 20,000. From my experience of being in STL for business at least once or twice a year during home baseball games, I see way more kids out at the game on school nights. Sure, a lot of people will leave around the seventh inning, but that still equals tix sold. I'm not a parent so I don't understand, but does anyone care to comment on why STL parents are ok with bringing their kids to the game on a weekday, vs. Cincy parents?
    The only thing I can think of is that they are a better team with far more success over the past 15 or so years...

Quote Originally Posted by RedsAndCatsFan View Post
    Excellent observation. That is the biggest difference and it can easily be explained by the fact that St. Louis has a much bigger metro area to draw from, while Cincinnati has a bigger expanded areas to draw from.

Both teams have a similar fan base in size, but a large part of the Cincinnari fan base comes from Kentucky, Dayton, Indianapolis, Columbus and all the small towns around it. Most Cardinal fans live within 20-30 minutes do the stadium.

That means, during the week, the Cards have more fans that can see a game and still be home in time to go to bed at a reasonable hour to get up for work/school the next morning. Reds fans from Dayton, Hamilton, etc, can't do that.

Hence, the Cards get more fans for night games during the week.
    Last edited by 757690; 03-01-2014 at 01:57 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

20. Likes:

MattyHo4Life (03-01-2014),Revering4Blue (03-03-2014)

Turn Off Ads?