Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: vBulletin 4 Upgrade Coming

vBulletin 4 Upgrade Coming

All,

The site has been running vBulletin version 3.8 for numerous years, and now that vBulletin 5 has been released, we feel it's time to make the switch to version 4. We have not yet purchased a license for version 5, and we feel it would prudent to make an incremental upgrade to version 4 before (potentially) upgrading to the latest version. Despite its age, version 3.8 continues to be patched and supported by vBulletin, but the site is long overdue for an upgrade.

I want to caution that the upgraded version will likely look and feel different than what you've probably become accustomed to over the years, and some of the custom software addons we've implemented with 3.8 will have to be reimplemented with version 4 (though I suspect some of this functionality comes standard with version 4). As far as the time frame for the upgrade, we fully intend to have everything up and running by Opening Day with preferably at least a week of running the new software before the games begin so any kinks can be worked out. To avoid any potential problems with the upgrade process, I will have to shut the board down during the upgrade, but I do not anticipate it taking too long, and I will try to provide as much of a heads up as possible. It will most likely be on a weekend afternoon.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to chime in.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: vBulletin 4 Upgrade Coming

We fear change.

We're not in Kansas anymore.

Thanks for everyone's patience; I ran into some unexpected issues during the upgrade, but we appear to be past them. I'm sure you've noticed that things look much less "RedsZone-like" and more much "vBulletin-like". I'll work on customizing the appearance back to how it was (or as close as I can since the old vB 3 style is incompatible with vB 4), as well as reinstalling any custom functionality we had installed in vB 3 that doesn't exist in vB 4. The most important thing was to get the site back up and running, and it appears to be.

Please post any problems you encounter here.

keep up the good work

Are we cubs fans now?

If so I welcome our new overlords

Better joke! RedsZone is wearing its alternate road uniform!

Shouldn't RedsZone in blue turn purple?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

10. Likes:

cincinnati chili (03-18-2014)

Thanks for the effort Boss-Hog.

Raisor was the first to welcome the Cubs overlords. What a traisor. (See what I did there, I combined traitor and raisor)

Viva la resistance!
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Hey it's Marinerszone! Can I start a thread about Edgar Martinez and the HOF?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Stat geek...and proud

Don't know if you are aware..... but Tapatalk doesn't seem to be working at the moment. No rush.... I know it's probably not a high priority.

So Boss, you going to mark this RFC as successful?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

15. Likes:

Boss-Hog (03-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    So Boss, you going to mark this RFC as successful?
    I would like this post if that functionality was installed right now.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Don't know if you are aware..... but Tapatalk doesn't seem to be working at the moment. No rush.... I know it's probably not a high priority.
    Give it a try now. I had to install the version that works with vB 4, but it should work now. I'm currently using it.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

My guess is that the blue is default's fault.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?