Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars 2014 Thread

Re: Jacksonville Jaguars 2014 Thread

In Jax over the last 7 years we've found a lot of ways to lose games. Today we won a game we shouldn't have..... and it feels great. The team and city needed this one again.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Will the Jaguars get Tom Coughlin fired again?
    Go Gators!

4. Likes:

Joseph (11-30-2014),Kingspoint (12-01-2014),Slyder (11-30-2014),thatcoolguy_22 (12-28-2014)

I took Jacksonville and the three points. It was just a matter of when, not if, the Giants would give this one away. I was disappointed in the Jags' Offense, though. Their Defense continues to shine.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

It's too bad Bortles had to play so much this season. Their original idea of sitting him out completely regardless of what happens sounded like a great idea. Now, he's had the bad experience of being sacked and hit too often, making bad decisions that do not help a Quarterback grow, and losing confidence as a leader.

It's been a good season for Jacksonville through from my perspective. I wish the Bengals' Defense was half-way as good as theirs. They have a formidable pass-rush with better Linebackers than the Bengals (who doesn't have?). Their Secondary needs a lot of work. They seemed to have found a decent complimentary back in Robinson. Despite Bortles' troubles, he looks like the real deal. The biggest problem has been at Left Tackle. They might need to look for one early in the draft.

2013 #2 overall pick Luke Joeckel has been a bust in his two years in the league so far. On his good days, he's average. On his bad days, he's bad. One more year of this and they'll have to see if he's better off at Right Tackle. Maybe they need to change him to RT in 2015 if they can find a LT in the draft they like. Can't have a player as bad as he is protecting Bortles' blindside. He's allowing too much pressure against Bortles every week. Left Guard Zane Beadles is an above-average Guard. Signed through 2018, GM Dave Caldwell got him a good one. Beadles didn't pack it in like so many do (see Anthony Collins, Michael Johnson, Derrick Rose, etc...pick your sport) after signing a big contract. Rookie RG Brian Lindner is the #2 Ranked RG in the NFL behind only Marshall Yanda. He's does it all. He's ranked #2 in Pass-Blocking and #5 in Run-Blocking. He was a great pick in the 3rd Round by Dave Caldwell (taken after Caldwell went for two WR's in the 2nd Round in Allen Robinson and Marquise Lee). For a 6th Round selection, Rookie Center Luke Bowanko has done as well as could be expected mixing in good days with bad ones and mediocre ones along the way. Two years in the training room and he might be better, but who knows? Could certainly give him a challenge in training camp next year by drafting another Center.

They seem well organized with everyone on the same page. No reason why they can't have the playoffs as expectations next season.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

All is looking up for Jacksonville. No team will have more money to spend in Free Agency and they'll have good places to pick from in the draft.

By Joel Corry | Former Sports Agent

1. Jacksonville Jaguars

Salary Cap Room Projection: $61.58 Million

Jacksonville leads the NFL in 2015 salary cap space partially because of having the most carry over room at $21.9 million. This isn't due to a lack of aggressiveness in free agency. The Jaguars signed transition player Alex Mack to a five-year, $42 million offer sheet that was quickly matched by the Cleveland Browns. Expect more of this approach from the Jaguars in 2015. Owner Shad Khan has pledged that the team will be very active in free agency. The Jaguars took a step in that direction heading into Week 16's action by signing impending free agent defensive tackle Roy Miller to a four-year, $16.25 million contract extension. Seven players are headed toward unrestricted free agency. Wide receiver Cecil Shorts is the best of the bunch. The Jaguars may not make much of an effort to re-sign him after selecting Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson in the second round of this year's draft, and picking up Allen Hurns, who has been the team's most productive wide receiver, as an undrafted free agent. It wouldn't be a surprise if the Jaguars continue their trend of reuniting head coach Gus Bradley with some of the players he had as defensive coordinator of the Seattle Seahawks. Byron Maxwell (6-foot-1, 207 pounds) has the size Bradley prefers at cornerback. Super Bowl XLVIII MVP Malcolm Smith would be an upgrade at outside linebacker.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...in-free-agency

Will be interesting to see the off-season. I disagree on several points. I disagree on Bortles. I think this season has been good for Bortles. He's seen and learned a lot. And it's slowly paying off. He has 2 interceptions in his last 4 games and one of those was a Hail Mary on the last play of the game, so really it was 1 in his last 4. Dude's a hard worker and he knows what he has to work on over the winter, which is his mechanics.

I disagree on the secondary also. I think the Jags are very close there. 4th round pick Aaron Colvin who missed most of the season is getting very good. Most people think they need a good safety.

The Jags are not only the youngest team in the league, but unlike other teams those youngsters start, not backup.

And the offense is where the Jags need to concentrate their improvement this winter. The need help on the O-Line. Particularly at RG. With the exception of Beadles the rest are rookies or 2nd year guys. Will be interesting about Joeckel. Tony Boselli says he's been average. So I think next year will really tell the tale with him, since he missed all but 5 games of his rookie year.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Will be interesting to see the off-season. I disagree on several points. I disagree on Bortles. I think this season has been good for Bortles. He's seen and learned a lot. And it's slowly paying off. He has 2 interceptions in his last 4 games and one of those was a Hail Mary on the last play of the game, so really it was 1 in his last 4. Dude's a hard worker and he knows what he has to work on over the winter, which is his mechanics.

I disagree on the secondary also. I think the Jags are very close there. 4th round pick Aaron Colvin who missed most of the season is getting very good. Most people think they need a good safety.

The Jags are not only the youngest team in the league, but unlike other teams those youngsters start, not backup.

And the offense is where the Jags need to concentrate their improvement this winter. The need help on the O-Line. Particularly at RG. With the exception of Beadles the rest are rookies or 2nd year guys. Will be interesting about Joeckel. Tony Boselli says he's been average. So I think next year will really tell the tale with him, since he missed all but 5 games of his rookie year.
    You would know them better than I, being so close to the situation (you actually get to see them in person...hopefully), in addition you get the beat-writers' daily information, along with local dissection of the team on a regular basis. I believe in the owner. If the Jaguars sold stock, I'd buy. Thanks for sharing about them this season and good luck to you in the future. Bortles' future is bright.

Just curious Jax, what can you tell us about the Raiders new head coach, Jack Del Rio?

11. Likes:

Slyder (01-15-2015)

I would trade the Bengals' entire organization from owner to management to scouting to coaches to players for the Jaguars' right now. There's a lot of positive things to like about the Jaguars.

Turn Off Ads?