Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chapman's Rebuttal-Interview With Sheldon

Chapman's Rebuttal-Interview With Sheldon

Chapman's gives more of his side of the story in an interview with Mark Sheldon.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cin/...&vkey=news_cin

The rest of the puzzle fell into place this offseason. The 4-year-old daughter Chapman had never met, Ashanti, and her mother, Raildelmi, also gained freedom from the Marxist country.

"I could not ask for anything more to how my life is right now," Chapman told MLB.com via translator Tomas Vera. "I have all of the members of my family with me. That is all I need."

Ashanti was born a few months after Chapman defected during a tournament in Rotterdam in July 2009. Although he and her mother are no longer a couple, he fully supports them and the family is together at his home in South Florida.
    "It was really emotional," Chapman said. "At the same time, it was mixed feelings. I was kind of worried. I didn't know how she was going to react. She had never met me before. I had never met her before. She didn't know who I was. I mean, we've had pictures and I've seen and talked to her on the phone, but nothing really personal. I was questioning myself on what was going to happen? How is she going to react? What is she going to say? We are still learning each other."
    "We couldn't talk about it much last year, but it was something that was definitely weighing on his mind throughout the year," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said of Chapman's daughter. "He tried for a while to get her here. It's something where he's settled in, he's got his family settled and his full focus should be on baseball. He was pretty good before.

"He just seems more relaxed this spring, more at ease with everything. I think he's more natural. He's gotten more experience here, more comfortable with living in the country."
    The story became easy fodder for bashing Chapman on talk radio, in columns and on social media. The interviews at his home were done in November when had yet to begin his usual offseason throwing program. It was supposed to be the downtime players earn after a season.

"The article had a lot of wrong things," Chapman said. "They came in and said I didn't like baseball. They came and said I don't practice and I don't work out and all I want to do is be a boxer. I don't know why they did what they did. I am surprised at why they did that. You know what? I didn't put too much into the article. I can tell you all I have to do is keep working and show everybody they were absolutely wrong."
    His translator since Chapman joined the Reds' Triple-A Louisville club in 2010, Vera has watched the pitcher mature from close proximity. Vera firmly defends that there has been no lack of drive from Chapman.

"If you see him from 2010 and his first Spring Training to 2014, his commitment is amazing and is willingness to help get better," said Vera, who is also a Reds assistant trainer. "He's thinking about this every day. The difference in him is from night to day. He thinks about being the best. He wants to be the best."

2. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-04-2014), BoxingRed (03-03-2014), Chuckie (03-04-2014), cumberlandreds (03-05-2014), Degenerate39 (03-03-2014), dubc47834 (03-04-2014), Gapper (03-03-2014), HeatherC1212 (03-03-2014), Kc61 (03-03-2014), Kingspoint (03-07-2014), klw (03-05-2014), marcshoe (03-03-2014), membengal (03-04-2014), OnBaseMachine (03-04-2014), RANDY IN INDY (03-03-2014), Red Raindog (03-03-2014), RedFanAlways1966 (03-03-2014), The Operator (03-05-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman's Rebuttal-Interview With Sheldon

I'm sure that's a problem that would weigh on anyone's mind. Here's hoping he has a hell of a season and he finally gets to enjoy his kid.
    Last edited by Degenerate39; 03-03-2014 at 10:55 PM.
    Most Vottomatic Player

5. Likes:

mbgrayson (03-03-2014), Slyder (03-04-2014)

This is nice to read. I, too, hope for a dominating season from Chapman this year. Put your hater blockers on and do work, kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    I woke up this morning after having a dream that the Reds re-signed Bailey to a 5-yr $100MM deal. I hope I'm wrong.

Just like many suspected.. the original article was embellished garbage, typical of sports "journalism" today by some writers.

Nice that Sheldon took the initiative to get Chapman's side of the story out, even though Walt already shot down the "lazy" rumors.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

8. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-04-2014), Revering4Blue (03-04-2014)

It's amazing how we sometimes forget that we are watching fellow human beings at work. Imagine if you had serious family matters weighing on you at work, and you had to still perform at the top of your ability. It wouldn't be very easy to do, would it?
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

10. Likes:

REDREAD (03-04-2014), Reds&BuckeyeGuy (03-07-2014), redsmetz (03-04-2014), Revering4Blue (03-04-2014), The Operator (03-05-2014), westofyou (03-04-2014)

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Just like many suspected.. the original article was embellished garbage, typical of sports "journalism" today by some writers.

Nice that Sheldon took the initiative to get Chapman's side of the story out, even though Walt already shot down the "lazy" rumors.
    It's also amazing how many on here said that he was a headcase and that we should trade him because they thought he was lazy.... Clearly he had other things on his mind, more important things than the Cincinnati Reds or baseball!!!!

12. Likes:

CoachBombay (03-04-2014), REDREAD (03-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    It's also amazing how many on here said that he was a headcase and that we should trade him because they thought he was lazy.... Clearly he had other things on his mind, more important things than the Cincinnati Reds or baseball!!!!
    I still think that the reds should trade him (if someone "overpays" for him) but the article was not a reason...

I like to hear that this problem (the missing daughter) is solved! It must be terrible for a human to live in another country and worry about his child...

I hope he has a great season (and I expect a great season ). Looking forward to see the cuban missile help the reds win ballgames

14. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I don't think he is lazy and am happy he has his daughter with him now, but I still think he is a bit odd. Just a feeling I have.

I do not think they should trade him for that, but I am definitely a baseball fan that if given the opportunity of trading a relief pitcher for either a quality starting pitcher or quality position player in an area of need I do it regardless how mentally stable the RP is.

16. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-04-2014)

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

I understand some want to trade him, I wouldn't be against it either if the right pieces came back. But some acted like he is a headcase because of the original article....

I'm not at all convinced that his problems last year were related to his daughter. I hope I'm wrong and he saves 90% of his games this year but until he throws something other than his FB I expect the results to continue to be mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don't think he is lazy and am happy he has his daughter with him now, but I still think he is a bit odd. Just a feeling I have.
    Rube Waddell used to leave the dugout during games to follow passing fire trucks. Sparky Lyle would sit nude on birthday cakes. Mark Fydrich used to talk to the baseball. They didn't call Bill Lee "Spaceman" for nothing.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm not at all convinced that his problems last year were related to his daughter. I hope I'm wrong and he saves 90% of his games this year but until he throws something other than his FB I expect the results to continue to be mediocre
    his results are mediocre?!? he can be better than last season, but hes not mediocre
    Last edited by tomnuetten; 03-04-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Yeah, if Chapman is "mediocre" does that make Craig Kimbrel "a little above average"?

Chapman is "mediocre." Wow.

22. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    Yeah, if Chapman is "mediocre" does that make Craig Kimbrel "a little above average"?

Chapman is "mediocre." Wow.
    Yeah, he was better than mediocre. That wasn't a fair word for me to use. I just feel like he still isn't elite and he should be. I want to see his save % above 90

24. Likes:

Chuckie (03-05-2014)

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/spo...7a43b2370.html

MLB Capsules: Kinsler says Texas comments taken out of context

Another ESPN The Magazine article the player interviewed says was taken out of context and overdramatic.

Turn Off Ads?