1 4.76%
  • Williamson, Fabian P-AA

0 0%
  • Wright, Daniel P-R

1 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Redzone Minor League Prospect Ranking #58 & 59

Redzone Minor League Prospect Ranking #58 & 59

Sebastian Elizalde takes 55 Carlton Daal, and Steve Selsky tied for our poll and were alphabetically listed s 57 and 58. Elizalde also had an uncounted vote so he is actually ahead of the other two.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 03-03-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    No - I am not from State Farm!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Redzone Minor League Prospect Ranking #58 & 59

Wanted Zach Vincej and Ronald Bueno, Bueno wasn't listed so looked for Daniel Paula, lacking him I voted for Pedro Diaz.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Mikey O'Brien (again). He'd pitched 520 minor league innings through age 23, 3.72 ERA, 1.327 WHIP, 8.8 hits per 9, .5 HR per 9, 3.1 W, 7.3 K. Yankees thought enough of him to give him 38 starts as a 22 and 23 year old at AA. Can't see how he's not in our top 60.

Jose Siri is only 18.
    .303 5 HR 30 RBI .363 OBP

I picked Siri and O'Brien. Mikey has put up good numbers and IMHO will be in AAA at some point in 2014.

I gave two guys votes based on performance. Jon Matthews went .292/.398/.422 with 22 SB in Billings. And Wild Joe Mantoni had a K/9 of 14.7 in Billings.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Wanted Zach Vincej and Ronald Bueno, Bueno wasn't listed so looked for Daniel Paula, lacking him I voted for Pedro Diaz.
    No Bueno.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

8. Likes:

REDREAD (03-04-2014)

3 way tie with 5 votes so far. Could be numbers, 58, 59 and 60. Its up to the moderator if he wants to continue past 60 prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    3 way tie with 5 votes so far. Could be numbers, 58, 59 and 60. Its up to the moderator if he wants to continue past 60 prospects.
    We're going to have a ten vote page with every prospect I have left (about 75-80) on it. I'll list the top ten vote getters and all others who receive a vote after that for a fairly complete list of guys who've caught someone's attention. Should end up with a top 80 or so which should give everyone a fair overview of the system. (Even if Redszone's rankings aren't in line with some, it will certainly be fairly extensive!)

11. Likes:

HokieRed (03-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    We're going to have a ten vote page with every prospect I have left (about 75-80) on it. I'll list the top ten vote getters and all others who receive a vote after that for a fairly complete list of guys who've caught someone's attention. Should end up with a top 80 or so which should give everyone a fair overview of the system. (Even if Redszone's rankings aren't in line with some, it will certainly be fairly extensive!)
    What I like about this (among other things) is that it will give us a reference point for mentions and discussion throughout the season: Juan Silverio (RZ #46) went 3-5, 2B, 2 RBI . . .

Siri and Aybar.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Jake: Even though he's 30, do you think Jose (Jumbo) Diaz should be added to the final list? He's never played in the big leagues but has been an effective minor-league reliever for a long time. After losing around 70 pounds over the winter, he has pitched well in Goodyear, hitting 98 mph the other day. At the least, he should return as Louisville's closer.

Also (although I'm sure you picked it up), mth123 mentioned Ronald Bueno and Daniel Paula. I've wondered about Miguel Mendez, as well, owing to his .333/.422/.436/.858 last year as a second baseman in the DSL. But he was 20. That's a bit old.

Bueno and Paula should both have been on the list before now. I should have either expanded a couple or bounced someone to make room. Mendez will be on the final list. DSL guys are tricky - age as you point out, the uneven competition, and low level generally make me leery of putting too much stock in them until they get to the states. Unless a guy signed a fairly large bonus it can be very difficult for the laymen fan to grasp who is really good and who is a mirage. Bonus size at least tells what scouts thought of their possibility but with older guys that is somewhat blunted because the older players don't generally get the large bonuses. Plus the Reds have more than a 40 man roster's worth of players down there and probably ten or so will ever even see the minor leagues in the states, let alone the majors.

Diaz technically qualifies but I've followed y own thinking, bolstered by a message from Doug, and left him off because he is 30. My feeling is if a guy hasn't made it by 28 he is not really a prospect anymore. It's why Felix Perez and Nick Schmidt are not on the list either.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 03-06-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Turn Off Ads?