Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Art vs. Artist

Art vs. Artist

How much does your opinion of an artist (musician, actor, director, painter, etc...) as a person affect your view of their art? I tend not to care about the person and only about the art. I think I am in the minority on this one.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Art vs. Artist

I'm a musician who learned long ago not to judge the art because of the artist. Knowing details of the artist's life can certainly help explain their work, though.

4. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (03-05-2014)

I agree with the premise that the author is dead as soon as the work is out there....it effectively takes a life of its own. That said, I'm a human so it's hard to be objective about a piece when the piece was made by a POS.

They call me "chef"

It's easier when the artist is literally dead. Knowing you are contributing to the success or wealth of a perceived scumbag can dampen the enjoyment of a work.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-05-2014),marcshoe (03-05-2014),Razor Shines (03-05-2014)

Kanye is an interesting test case for this theory.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

For a Level Playing Field

Hope I not turning this into some sort of political thing. Some might consider me to lean right. However, I like a lot of left of center musicians. The band System of a Down is a good example. Their CD Toxicity is in the car CD-player right now.

Writing, singing and painting about things does not bother me. Go visit and hang with an enemy of our country and I put a lifetime fork in you. Some might find it shocking that my best friend is a liberal. All people are different and I respect that. If I like your art/music/writing/etc, then I could care less about your personal opinions. Guess it is good I focus on guitar/bass/keys/drums more than lyrics.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

System of a Down simply rock. I put "Chop Suey" up there with the best songs ever written.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    System of a Down simply rock. I put "Chop Suey" up there with the best songs ever written.
    Never thought the "nu-metal" label did them justice...

I guess I lean art over artist. It's pretty rare that I like every album in a band's discography, especially if they've been around for a while--even my favorites.

Movies are all over the place too, but I think I have stronger favorites there.

Cool thread topic btw...

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Never thought the "nu-metal" label did them justice...
    I just want to know how you write something that loud and heavy and beautiful all at once.

They call me "chef"

One of the most extreme examples of the idea in this thread is the recent news about the singer from the band Lostprophets. Warning...the allegations against him get very dark and disturbing. Imagine being one of his bandmates. How do you go forward as a band, as individual musicians, and as humans who were very close to an allegedly heinous criminal?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If your art doesn't have to do with the part of the artist that I dislike, then it is all good.

An example would be a drug addict writing a song about being high. I will be turned off by that song.

That same artist writes a love song? I will give it a listen.

Improbus has a good example. I think Kanye West is an idiot with a lot of the view points and beliefs that he has. But man oh man can he make some awesome music.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    How do you go forward as a band, as individual musicians, and as humans who were very close to an allegedly heinous criminal?
    You probably form a new bad, immediately. You can't keep that name.

The rest of it though, is just something you have to do. The rest of the band had nothing to do with it and while, if the allegations are true, are beyond terrible, it isn't something that the band members should dwell on much (at least to the point where it is altering how they feel about their own lives).

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Kanye is an interesting test case for this theory.
    This is the first name that sprung to mind when I saw the thread title. Ultimately I try to appreciate the art independent of the artist, though sometimes that is easier than others.

I don't like Kanye's music, even. I'm old.

It takes a lot for me to dislike someone because of a public image. The Gallagher brothers seem like jerks, but I don't really know them, and I'll still listen to Oasis sometimes. They're not my favorites, but that's more because I find their music pretentious than it is because of their personalities.

Orson Scott Card's a bit of an irritant as well, but he's one of my favorite writers. The Wasteland, probably my favorite poem, was edited by Ezra Pound, who was a fascist.

I really don't know. Wasn't this what Amadeus was about?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?