Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds Opening Day Roster(Projected)

Re: Reds Opening Day Roster(Projected)

The Marshall and Broxton deals were awful, especially the extensions. We got rid of Travis Wood and Donnie Joseph. Stay away from giving RP big money. We can always put together a BP without overpaying. Players like Simon, Beato, Jumbo Diaz, Trevor Bell, Hyde, etc can be found for minimal money.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Totally agree JMO, especially with Broxton. I have to admit though, I never saw injury problems coming for Marshall. The guy doesn't throw extremely hard and his workload has not been heavy since he's been with the Reds.

Yeah the Marshall injury is frustrating, but I am more upset at the Broxton extension, way too much money. Reds have great bullpen depth that is cheap and controllable.

5. Likes:

RedlegJake (03-16-2014)

I got slammed when I panned the Broxton deal when it happened. Then the ludicrous extension based on two decent months at the tail end of 2012. I wasn't a fan of Broxton when he was here in KC and I hated seeing the Reds get him. Marshall, on the other hand, was a good trade - while I would have bet you Broxton would end up DL'd, I didn't expect it to happen to Marshall. I view Broxton as a huge mistake that could have been avoided. Marshall was a calculated risk (any pitcher is) that went south. That happens to every team.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Yep, agree with you. Marshall was a good move, bad luck. Hopefully he can be healthy and productive in 2014. Broxton on the other hand was a horrible trade and the extension was even worse. No way do you give 21 M to a guy who's K rate has dropped, velocity has dipped and durability concerns are getting louder. I am excited about some of the other RP like Beato, Bell, Jumbo, Christiani and Hyde.

Prognosis...Negative StRedlegs900's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    Time to get rid of Marshall. He's good but always injured
    I had never seen someone buckle J Votto with a curveball like Marshall did when he was with the Cubs. I was ecstatic when we traded for him, and can only hope that he somehow contributes this year. Shoulder injuries sure never look good, though.

The Chapman injury makes 5 players that won't be ready for Opening Day:

Chapman, Latos, Marshall, Broxton and Hannahan

Our 40 man sits at 39 including these 5 who will be on the DL.

IMHO, the Reds need both Bernadina and Nelson on this team. Put Chapman on the 60 day DL. That opens 2 spots.

Promote Brett Marshall, put him the rotation. Simon back to the BP to stabilize it.

Hoover, LeCure, Parra, Simon, Ondrusek, Christiani, Beato

or keep Simon in the rotation and put T Bell in the BP.

J Francis, Jumbo, Hyde, and Bell battling for a OD roster spot, same with B Marshall.

If the last few seasons are any indication of what we need to expect from Hamilton, he's going to start off slow. If you look back over the past few years, even during his breakout 2012 campaign, he starts off not hitting too well and then somehow he just starts hitting. Is this what a playoff hopeful team needs? Not really, but what can you do besides keep your fingers crossed and hope he just proves everyone wrong?
    If somebody is gracious enough to give me a second chance, I won't need a third.
    - Pete Rose

What I THINK it will be:
    Hamilton
    Phillips
    Votto
    Bruce
    Ludwick
    Frazier
    Cozart
    Pena
    Cueto

What I WISH it would be:
    Hamilton(ill play along too : )
    Votto(more at bats & gets on base)
    Bruce(probably best hitter now)
    Phillips(really produced here last yr)
    Heisey(he deserves a shot after ST, and better defense than ludwick)
    Frazier(? Not sure what to expect)
    Cozart
    Mez(want to see his bat get going)
    Bailey(a healthy bailey is our #1 imo)

Cincy Enquirer reporting Ramon Santiago has been told he has made the team. He has hit .225 this Spring.

I KNEW the Reds would screw this up. Ramon Santiago has NO business making this team. SO I guess the Reds thought it was a good idea to keep a NO HIT BACK UP SS over a guy like Nelson. I guess the prob isn't Baker, its the FO that decides this. We had a chance at a very good bench, not now. I knew they would roll with Santiago and Hannahan. Our bench should be:

Heisey, Pena, Bernadina, Nelson and Soto

NO SANTIAGO. Keep Negron in AAA. Now it will look like this:

Heisey, Pena, Santiago, ? ? Hannahan and Schumaker. WORST BENCH EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    I KNEW the Reds would screw this up. Ramon Santiago has NO business making this team. SO I guess the Reds thought it was a good idea to keep a NO HIT BACK UP SS over a guy like Nelson. I guess the prob isn't Baker, its the FO that decides this. We had a chance at a very good bench, not now. I knew they would roll with Santiago and Hannahan. Our bench should be:

Heisey, Pena, Bernadina, Nelson and Soto

NO SANTIAGO. Keep Negron in AAA. Now it will look like this:

Heisey, Pena, Santiago, ? ? Hannahan and Schumaker. WORST BENCH EVER.
    You do realize that keeping both Soto and Nelson over Santiago would simply be choosing a no hit guy who can't back-up SS vs a no hit guy who can, right? They aren't going to find a hitter in the bunch. The problem isn't the choice. The problem was the guys they were choosing from in the first place.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (03-29-2014)

I get why we're talking about this because of the anticipation of next week and we finally have real news, but seriously.... this does not matter. Cozart is going to play 155 games this year if healthy and whether his backup is a .240 type with an average glove or a .230 type with above-average glove is going to be pretty minor.

Well since 8 Reds will start the year on the DL, I will take one more guess at the bench:

Heisey, Bernadina, Soto(back up C, 1B, 3B) Santiago and Nelson

Price said "we could" go into OD with Soto as the back up C, that would allow all 3 non roster invites to make the Reds out of ST. Bernadina, Santiago and Nelson

Removing players off the 40 man could be difficult, I really don't want to lose any valuable players. Guillon, Beato and Lutz could be options, I would DFA Hannahan, but that won't happen.

Looks like the Reds released Nelson, upon his request. Idiots. IMHO, I would MUCH rather take Nelson over Soto and Santiago. Will regret this one.

Turn Off Ads?