Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Price's Honeymoon

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: Price's Honeymoon

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    RZ is this amorphous group mind opponent that can shapeshift into whatever I need it to be to make my opinion feel like the sole voice of reason in a sea of noise. I've already said it once and RZ told me I was wrong and wouldn't have it but Price has five letters in his name.
    We can't really ever know if this is true, though.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

2. Likes:

Larry Schuler (03-19-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Given the holes that I still think exist in the offense, he gets plenty of rope from me.
    Exactly.

If Baker - and with some justification too - talked about this FO not being aggressive enough in addressing holes on this team to get to that next level ..... then what is Price faced with going into this new season where we have holes and question marks from an offensive standpoint?

The good news is - we don't have to worry about any more threads calling for Hanigan to be in that #2 spot!

And on that note ..... who does everyone think should be in that #2 spot, looking at this current roster? Is there a consensus among RZ members on who that should be?

Do we even have one?

We need a Stepford manager. One created in the fan's image, who will do as they're told without argument/dissent.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

How about we start a "sticky" thread titled .....

so we can track (grade) our manager's progress throughout the year. LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quite frankly, Price's honeymoon will end as soon as he does something that someone disagrees with - probably by the 5th inning of the Opening Day game. He'll leave the starter in too long or remove the starter too soon, or bring in the wrong reliever, or send the wrong pinch hitter up or attempt a stolen base at the wrong time.

Trust me, when you have been through as many managers as I have with this team, the complaints remain the same - only the names change from manager to manager. By April 10th, we'll have plenty of fodder to complain about.

Complaints about lineup construction didn't begin with Dusty Baker. You should have been around here in the days of Russ Nixon and John McNamara and Vern Rapp. Even Sparky Anderson at times was accused of poor lineup construction. Things don't change.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

7. Likes:

REDREAD (03-19-2014)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

You're assuming our opening day starter won't throw a perfect game.

I have to agree with those who state that Price has a lot of slack and that if the team starts faltering the attention would instead shift to Walt.

I am not in the "Walt is on the hot seat" crowd but I think Redszone would turn on Walt before Price at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Quite frankly, Price's honeymoon will end as soon as he does something that someone disagrees with - probably by the 5th inning of the Opening Day game. He'll leave the starter in too long or remove the starter too soon, or bring in the wrong reliever, or send the wrong pinch hitter up or attempt a stolen base at the wrong time.

Trust me, when you have been through as many managers as I have with this team, the complaints remain the same - only the names change from manager to manager. By April 10th, we'll have plenty of fodder to complain about.

Complaints about lineup construction didn't begin with Dusty Baker. You should have been around here in the days of Russ Nixon and John McNamara and Vern Rapp. Even Sparky Anderson at times was accused of poor lineup construction. Things don't change.
    Maybe i'll have to dust off the old "This Date In Reds History" lineups feature I used to post.

11. Likes:

Crumbley (03-21-2014),Hoosier Red (03-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    I have to agree with those who state that Price has a lot of slack and that if the team starts faltering the attention would instead shift to Walt.

I am not in the "Walt is on the hot seat" crowd but I think Redszone would turn on Walt before Price at this point.
    I agree. I think Walt will take the most heat. And he should, in all fairness. But we already have seen the arguments of the "get rid of Walt" folks, so we know what form they're likely to take this season.

With Price, however, it's much harder to say. And just because folks will first blame Walt doesn't mean that they won't also blame Price. Hence, the question and the thread.

They'll blame Walt for not looking around more, hiring Price seemingly on a whim, or because it left more time for napping.

Something along those lines. Price is Walt's guy, andything Price does wrong will be on Walt's head.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

14. Likes:

villain612 (03-19-2014)

I think we are seeing one part of Price's philosophy that will drive fans nuts. Being a former pitcher, I think he is overly cautious with pitchers and injuries. Holding back Bailey and now Cueto over very minor tweets makes it appear the Reds are less healthy than they actually are.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I think Price is getting a hefty dose of firing vaccination with these injuries piling up. Might be a blessing for him. Low expectations this season so he can get his feet planted, plunge forward full steam next (with a couple more bats in tow by then).

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think Price is getting a hefty dose of firing vaccination with these injuries piling up. Might be a blessing for him. Low expectations this season so he can get his feet planted, plunge forward full steam next (with a couple more bats in tow by then).
    Yep. 2014 is teetering on the brink of "Do Over!".
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

You're probably right. But, and this is a big if, they get into the season and experience generally good health on the pitching staff, he'll be given the benefit of the doubt.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I think Price gets a free ride all season, no matter what.

Right now last year's team, which was a bubble playoff club, is down Choo, Chapman (for one or more months), and Arroyo with Marshall still out and some nagging injuries among starters. On the plus side is rookie Hamilton, some minor bench upgrades, and hopeful returns from injury by Ludwick and Cueto (60 innings last season).

I don't think it's reasonable to expect the Reds W-L record to improve this year. If it happens, it's good fortune. So even in a down year Price will get a pass.

I liked the two-inning save opp for Parra today. I wished he had done that with Lecure yesterday. Encouraged to see him give it a shot, and, perhaps, to learn from yesterday. Promising, to my eye.

22. Likes:

757690 (04-06-2014),bigredmechanism (04-06-2014),Raisor (04-06-2014),Red Raindog (04-06-2014),SirFelixCat (04-08-2014)

Turn Off Ads?