Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A commendation

A commendation

I've travelled and lived all over this country and have followed baseball for 59 years. I must say that Reds fans in general and contributors of these forums specifically are the most intelligent, baseball savvy people I've ever encountered. The logic and knowledge most of you exhibit in your posts I believe rivals most "sports writers" across the country, and you are to be commended for it.

That being said, a friend of mine and I enjoy talking baseball and he once offered a rule change idea I've never heard of in my life and must say has enough merit to at least examine with all of you. I would enjoy reading your thoughts on this idea.

Why not allow a batter the attempt to steal first base at any time during his plate appearance. Of course there are logistics to consider but the idea is sound in my opinion.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A commendation

Huh? You mean take off and try to get there before the throw? Like is done with a third strike already? It would end the saying "you can't steal first base" for sure but I don't think it would be that big deal for most batters. Maybe once in a blue moon Billy or Bourjos or Gordon could steal the bag that way but I think it would be a meaningless gimmick.

Interesting first post idea, though.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Interesting idea, but would never happen. It would make wild pitches more interesting that's for sure, but aside from that and maybe a guy like billy Hamilton taking first on another runner stealing 2nd or 3rd it wouldn't matter much. It probably would cause more harm than good though. Take a guy like Jay Bruce. Hes someone who will walk halfway up the line between pitches at times. Who is to say when hes just doing his routine, and when hes trying to take first? While the rule could make things interesting, I don't see the players liking it. Plus you have a lot of scenarios to cover for a rule that wouldn't have much of an impact.

5. Likes:

RedlegJake (03-23-2014)

It'd be pretty difficult to steal first. I would have to think that it would also create interference because the batter might be running in front of the catcher's vision for a brief moment if they were running across the plate to take off for first.

Turn Off Ads?