Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Nice Dave Parker article

Nice Dave Parker article

I thought this was a good read.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...in&hpt=hp_bn15

The revolution that was Dave Parker made some people uncomfortable. Especially in Pittsburgh. And when the '70s turned into the '80s, and the injuries sometimes kept baseball's first million-dollar-per-year player out of shape or the lineup, the animosity grew as his productivity fell.

There was the divorce from the Pirates and the admission of cocaine use at the 1985 baseball drug trials, but also a renaissance back home in Cincinnati. Another divorce, this time from the Reds, bred another resurgence—this time as an American League designated hitter.

A man opens the 1988 World Series program to the Oakland A's head shots and points to Parker.

Says Parker, "I may be the best-looking guy in this picture."

For almost 20 years, his heavy-metal voice resonated in locker rooms. His personality became the team's. He would use flattery and mockery, swear at you and with you, make you laugh and make you better.

2. Likes:

Chip R (04-02-2014), _Sir_Charles_ (04-02-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nice Dave Parker article

Thanks for posting that. Parker was one of my favorites even before he signed with the Reds.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Great read. Thanks klw. Dave and that infectious smile...I loved watching him. He always seemed bigger than life...and gigantic on the diamond. And good god...that arm. *shudders*
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

I loved watching Parker. The bat looked like a toothpick in his hands at the plate. Like a toothpick he could bludgeon a team into submission with.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I really liked Parker too. His size was just unbelievable at the time. He was about 6-6 and 235. He had good speed and just a great arm. That throw he made in the 1979 All Star Game is still one of the best outfield throws I have ever seen. I was thrilled when he signed with the Reds. That rejuvinated his career and he had a few good seasons with the Reds. Seems like he had one really good one,maybe 1987?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I don't recall the year, but I remember he got robbed on the MVP with McGee. That was a joke IMO.

~edit~ 1985
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 04-02-2014 at 01:31 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Turn Off Ads?