Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: World's lamest ballpark village opens next to Busch in St. Louis

Re: World's lamest ballpark village opens next to Busch in St. Louis

For some reason I keep thinking of Michael Scott screaming "I.....DECLARE......BANKRUPTCYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY "

Can I get a gif?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Because you're all so interested in Ballpark Village, it opened this weekend, and it was absolutely slammed all weekend. It sounds like they have some kinks to work out, but I heard it was very impressive. Should you make your way to St. Louis for a Reds/Cards game, I would check it out.

4. Likes:

757690 (03-31-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by CardsFanBob View Post
    Because you're all so interested in Ballpark Village, it opened this weekend, and it was absolutely slammed all weekend. It sounds like they have some kinks to work out, but I heard it was very impressive. Should you make your way to St. Louis for a Reds/Cards game, I would check it out.
    I would rather cut my toenails with a chainsaw marinated in acid, but thank you for the invitation.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

6. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (03-31-2014),OGB (03-27-2015),RedTeamGo! (03-31-2014),Rojo (03-31-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I would rather cut my toenails with a chainsaw marinated in acid, but thank you for the invitation.
    Then wear shorts made of polyester plaid

8. Likes:

redsmetz (03-27-2015),vaticanplum (03-31-2014)

It's a collection of bars and restaurants... You don't have to go into the Cardinals HOF...

If Cinci has something comparable, I'd check it out. Half the fun of following your team on road games is checking out the watering holes next to the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by CardsFanBob View Post
    It's a collection of bars and restaurants... You don't have to go into the Cardinals HOF...

If Cinci has something comparable, I'd check it out. Half the fun of following your team on road games is checking out the watering holes next to the stadium.
    "Collections of bars and restaurants", especially ones requiring aesthetically questionable dress codes, just aren't my scene. I know what kinds of places they are and I'm sure they'll do a bang-up business next to the park. But not everybody is going to like them.

Cincinnati does have something similar, though the places constitute less of an intentional "scene" than it sounds like they're aiming for in St. Louis. I've been, and it's fine, pretty chill and some good beer, but there are still places a bit further afield of GABP that I'd rather go to. Actually it's the same in Pittsburgh, the same a lot of places. Stuff in close proximity to the ballparks tends to be newer and more commercial and not as entrenched in the real personality and flavor of the city. I don't think most people in Chicago would point to the Cubby Bear as emblematic of their finest drinking establishments.

11. Likes:

Always Red (03-31-2014),OGB (03-27-2015),westofyou (03-31-2014)

"Collections of bars and restaurants", especially ones requiring aesthetically questionable dress codes, just aren't my scene. I know what kinds of places they are and I'm sure they'll do a bang-up business next to the park. But not everybody is going to like them.

Cincinnati does have something similar, though the places constitute less of an intentional "scene" than it sounds like they're aiming for in St. Louis. I've been, and it's fine, pretty chill and some good beer, but there are still places a bit further afield of GABP that I'd rather go to. Actually it's the same in Pittsburgh, the same a lot of places. Stuff in close proximity to the ballparks tends to be newer and more commercial and not as entrenched in the real personality and flavor of the city. I don't think most people in Chicago would point to the Cubby Bear as emblematic of their finest drinking establishments.

Understandable. Although I will say, the controversy that's surrounding the dress code is silliness. It's a non-issue.

To be honest, I tend to agree with you. I'd rather go to more local, long-established places too. South of Busch, there are tons of small, "mom & pop" type bars and restaurants that seem far more authentic.

I'll go to Ballpark Village to catch a game at the Wrigley-style seating that overlooks the park -- they're all you can eat and drink seats too, so a nice bonus. I'd like to catch a road game on that giant TV they have. Of course, I need to check out the Cardinals newly designed HOF.

But I'm betting I can knock out all of those activities in a visit or two...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The major problem I see with the Ballpark Village in St. Louis is that it's filled with Cardinals fans.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

14. Likes:

OGB (03-27-2015),Raisor (03-31-2014),RBA (03-27-2015),Slyder (03-31-2014),wheels (03-31-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The major problem I see with the Ballpark Village in St. Louis is that it's filled with Cardinals fans.
    The problem with Scotland is that it is full of Scots!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It could be a blessing. Let them all stay there in the echo chamber, leaving the rest of us blissfully unaware of their existence.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

In all the time I lived in Chicago, I went into the Cubby Bear once for a scavenger hunt-type party. Around Wrigley, we used to join my wife's friends at this bar on a side street off Clark a few blocks north of Wrigley. Mark Grace would occasionally drop in after games when he was still with the Cubs. Finding a good bar in Chicago near Wrigley was always difficult because of the tendency for them to be filled with obnoxious tools or trendy Yuppies who were just there because being a Cubs fan was trendy. If you wanted a good bar in Chicago, you had to get out of Wrigleyville. I always liked to hang at places in Lincoln Square and Uptown.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

So, all these places have beer, right? How can they be bad?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

19. Likes:

Always Red (03-31-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    In all the time I lived in Chicago, I went into the Cubby Bear once for a scavenger hunt-type party. Around Wrigley, we used to join my wife's friends at this bar on a side street off Clark a few blocks north of Wrigley. Mark Grace would occasionally drop in after games when he was still with the Cubs. Finding a good bar in Chicago near Wrigley was always difficult because of the tendency for them to be filled with obnoxious tools or trendy Yuppies who were just there because being a Cubs fan was trendy. If you wanted a good bar in Chicago, you had to get out of Wrigleyville. I always liked to hang at places in Lincoln Square and Uptown.
    As far as I know, there are two good bars around Wrigley: Guthrie's and the Ginger Man. I mean, Guthrie's has kewpie doll heads embedded in the ceiling. It does not get much better than that.

21. Likes:

redsmetz (03-27-2015)

My biggest take away from all this is we're "coloring" ourselves way too often and most of the things we're coloring ourselves are not colors.

Color me not coloring any more.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I don't know if this should be in its own thread but as this thread had to do with race and St Louis:
    http://deadspin.com/cops-former-card...urs-1693886452
    A St. Louis area resident is under arrest after allegedly punching Curt Ford while yelling racial slurs and ordering the African-American former Cardinals outfielder to "go back to Ferguson."

Police say 37-year-old James Street, who is white, attacked Ford at a gas station outside of St. Louis:
    Ford told the Post-Dispatch he is now considering moving away from St. Louis.

Turn Off Ads?