Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: World's lamest ballpark village opens next to Busch in St. Louis

Re: World's lamest ballpark village opens next to Busch in St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Gives me the mental image of you as a big husky guy. Reason? I am thin and as I've gotten older find I rarely wear shorts because I seem to get chilly easily - but my husky friends all wear shorts - all the time, even here in Missouri.
    I moved back to Ohio from NC in December and noticed all winter seeing large/husky men out to dinner at restaurants wearing shorts. 5 degrees outside and these guys are wearing shorts. To dinner.

So freaking weird. If I ever did that my wife would not talk to me for a week. I feel like that is something a person from New York, LA, etc would look at, roll their eyes and say "midwesterners."

[

2. Turn Off Ads?

If there is one thing reds44 knows, it's bars.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I moved back to Ohio from NC in December and noticed all winter seeing large/husky men out to dinner at restaurants wearing shorts. 5 degrees outside and these guys are wearing shorts. To dinner.

So freaking weird. If I ever did that my wife would not talk to me for a week. I feel like that is something a person from New York, LA, etc would look at, roll their eyes and say "midwesterners."

[
    This is also borne of a matter of practicality. People in places without public transportation don't have to dress as much for the weather. My mother in Cincinnati almost never wears a winter coat. She goes from house to garage to car to work and back again, etc. She is basically never outside. So people in those places are dressing for the indoors (often overly heated and dry in the winter) whereas people in, e.g., NYC are dressing for the outdoors, their walks to work, their time spent waiting on cold subway platforms. Coming from NC, you are probably subconsciously dressing for constant air conditioning.

Last week I saw a woman in Home Depot wearing a puffy parka and flip flops. It was about 25 degrees outside at the time. I mean, I don't know what to do about these things in the world. Under no circumstances should a puffy coat and flip flops even glimpse the same closet at one time, let alone the same person.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    This is also borne of a matter of practicality. People in places without public transportation don't have to dress as much for the weather. My mother in Cincinnati almost never wears a winter coat. She goes from house to garage to car to work and back again, etc. She is basically never outside. So people in those places are dressing for the indoors (often overly heated and dry in the winter) whereas people in, e.g., NYC are dressing for the outdoors, their walks to work, their time spent waiting on cold subway platforms. Coming from NC, you are probably subconsciously dressing for constant air conditioning.

Last week I saw a woman in Home Depot wearing a puffy parka and flip flops. It was about 25 degrees outside at the time. I mean, I don't know what to do about these things in the world. Under no circumstances should a puffy coat and flip flops even glimpse the same closet at one time, let alone the same person.
    Good points, I own probably 6 "light coats" fleeces, rain coats any thing for 50 degrees and rain, I have 1 winter coat that I have worn three times in the last 2 years. I live in a city neighborhood and probably walk 8 miles a week just meandering to the store etc. And also I saw a kid in shorts and flip flops the one week it snowed here at the grocery store so I get the car as a heat portal to box box shopping reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If there is one thing reds44 knows, it's bars.

hahaha you followed me on twitter for long enough to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    hahaha you followed me on twitter for long enough to know.

I had to take a break, you were exhausting me.

[QUOTE=RedlegJake;3052214]Gives me the mental image of you as a big husky guy. Reason? I am thin and as I've gotten older find I rarely wear shorts because I seem to get chilly easily - but my husky friends all wear shorts - all the time, even here in Missouri."

Are you a woman? Reason? I find as I get older that women are cold all the time. I work in an office of all women and they all have space heaters on in their offices, even in the summer.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Anyway, I'm rambling (this topic is very important to me), but I agree with Yachtzee in the sense of what they're likely going for and how offensive that dress code is in terms of where it actually takes them. Ostensibly it's supposed to convey an air of "high-class" (I hate that word) and all that implies and associates by limiting clothing trends associated with other classes. They may TRY to convey this as an aesthetic thing, but as evidenced by the fact that women would likely still be allowed to come in wearing clothing exposing many things that men aren't allowed to, it's clearly not an aesthetic thing. They're pursuing a spirit of the law through letter of the law, or to put it more blatantly, they're trying to be selective about their clientele through dress code regulations.
    This just doesn't apply to StL's Ballpark Village but to all upscale restaurants. I'm not a big fan of dress codes either but I think anyone with half a brain (like Raisor) realizes that you are going to dress different depending on the restaurant you are going to. You are not going to wear the same thing if you are going to The Precinct than if you are going to Applebees. I think that's just common sense. The people that the restaurants are not catering to are more than likely not going to go there anyway whether it be the dress code, the prices or they wouldn't feel comfortable at a place with more than one fork. If they do decide to go there, they will more than likely want to fit in. They will also conform to the dress code because they want to look nice and they have pride in their appearance. If that means no hats, then they shouldn't wear a hat unless they want to check it or leave it in the car. Now if it's somewhere like the aforementioned Cadillac Ranch, and they are keeping out guys with hats while letting hotties in with hats or otherwise violating the dress code, then there's a problem.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    This just doesn't apply to StL's Ballpark Village but to all upscale restaurants. I'm not a big fan of dress codes either but I think anyone with half a brain (like Raisor) realizes that you are going to dress different depending on the restaurant you are going to. You are not going to wear the same thing if you are going to The Precinct than if you are going to Applebees. I think that's just common sense. The people that the restaurants are not catering to are more than likely not going to go there anyway whether it be the dress code, the prices or they wouldn't feel comfortable at a place with more than one fork. If they do decide to go there, they will more than likely want to fit in. They will also conform to the dress code because they want to look nice and they have pride in their appearance. If that means no hats, then they shouldn't wear a hat unless they want to check it or leave it in the car. Now if it's somewhere like the aforementioned Cadillac Ranch, and they are keeping out guys with hats while letting hotties in with hats or otherwise violating the dress code, then there's a problem.
    Then I'm confused. Are these places supposed to be like the Precinct? That wasn't my impression at all from the original article or the picture attached to it. One of the places is called the Budweiser Brewhouse, for crying out loud.

My sense was that these places were going much more for the vibe of Cadillac Ranch (which really was the worst place ever, BTW). Ergo my sense that the dress code was less about maintaining the atmosphere of a fine dining establishment than about catering to a specific clientele.

Then I'm confused. Are these places supposed to be like the Precinct? That wasn't my impression at all from the original article or the picture attached to it. One of the places is called the Budweiser Brewhouse, for crying out loud.

My sense was that these places were going much more for the vibe of Cadillac Ranch (which really was the worst place ever, BTW). Ergo my sense that the dress code was less about maintaining the atmosphere of a fine dining establishment than about catering to a specific clientele.
    I don't know how many tines I have to say it but this only is applied to certain places. From what I understand, only 3 places in Ballpark Village have this dress code. I think people are under the false impression that this dress code is applied uniformally throughout all the businesses there.

From my understanding of the original concept, they wanted a place where people could go after games and relax but they also wanted an infusion of high quality restaurants and bars there as well. They wanted a mix of low end and high end businesses. In fact, in the original plan, they were going to put high class condo's there as part of the Village but they scrapped that idea.

Apparently it was written, but it was not done.

13. Likes:

Chip R (03-27-2014),Raisor (03-27-2014),Red in Chicago (03-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I don't know how many tines I have to say it but this only is applied to certain places. From what I understand, only 3 places in Ballpark Village have this dress code. I think people are under the false impression that this dress code is applied uniformally throughout all the businesses there.

From my understanding of the original concept, they wanted a place where people could go after games and relax but they also wanted an infusion of high quality restaurants and bars there as well. They wanted a mix of low end and high end businesses. In fact, in the original plan, they were going to put high class condo's there as part of the Village but they scrapped that idea.
    Uh no, I understood that perfectly. I read the article. The dress code applies to three establishments, one of which is the Budweiser Brewhouse.

I'm asking sincerely if those three places are supposed to be fine dining establishments a la the Precinct. My sense was that they are not.

Give me a break. Dress codes like these are designed to keep out the urban poor, who rightly or wrongly, have a reputation for starting fights in these types of environments. That's why there was a dress code on Monday nights at the last bar I worked. At a location like this, however, the dress code seems set up to keep young black men away not as much to avoid fights, as to make white upper middle class guy from the suburbs feel safe.
    You can pretend all you want to, but these dress codes are designed to deter a very specific social class that (in both StL and Cincinnati) happen to be almost entirely black.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

I was mainly speaking in generalities. I was basically saying that while we do not like dress codes, we dress different depending on the place we are going to. Like the Banks (Which is kind of our version of Ballpark Village) has the Holy Grail where you can dress like you are going to a game and they have Ruth's Chris where you would dress better.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post

Well said. My original objections was because I believed the dress code was in effect for game days as well. Now I know it isn't, I don't have much of a problem with it as long as it's applied consistently.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Give me a break. Dress codes like these are designed to keep out the urban poor, who rightly or wrongly, have a reputation for starting fights in these types of environments. That's why there was a dress code on Monday nights at the last bar I worked. At a location like this, however, the dress code seems set up to keep young black men away not as much to avoid fights, as to make white upper middle class guy from the suburbs feel safe.
    You can pretend all you want to, but these dress codes are designed to deter a very specific social class that (in both StL and Cincinnati) happen to be almost entirely black.
    If young black guy shows up wearing the proper attire and is denied entry while white upper middle class guy from the suburbs fails to wear what they call for and is admitted, then there's a problem.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

18. Likes:

jimbo (03-27-2014)

Turn Off Ads?