Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: World's lamest ballpark village opens next to Busch in St. Louis

Re: World's lamest ballpark village opens next to Busch in St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Uh no, I understood that perfectly. I read the article. The dress code applies to three establishments, one of which is the Budweiser Brewhouse.

I'm asking sincerely if those three places are supposed to be fine dining establishments a la the Precinct. My sense was that they are not.
    Actually one is a place where it looks like they're going to do their live pre and post game shows so they may have implemented a dress policy for tv purposes. Who knows with that situation.

You might not think the Budweiser Brewhouse is classy but it's supposed to be more upscale than your average bar (more of a club atmosphere than bar). Not sure of the other place but I'm assuming there might be fine dinning involved.

I just know in it's original intent, there were supposed to be some upscale places people could dine at. It would make sense considering how much money the Cardinal organization put into it.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 03-27-2014 at 04:32 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

There sure are a lot of RZ content monitors on this thread. Sort of like having a dress code for topics.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by indyscott View Post
    Where did it say a bunch? And why would it be a bad idea to have a high end place that will have 40K people by it 81 times a year?
    You could ask Cincinnati's Ruth's Chris about their failing business
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

5. Likes:

Always Red (03-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    You could ask Cincinnati's Ruth's Chris about their failing business
    Is it doing that bad? I mean, I know I would never go there.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Cadillac Ranch has been closed for a year or so. A new bar is there instead and I don't know if they allow you in with a hat.

You're thinking of O'Malleys in the Alley. I like that place too but it's so small.

Seems to me these restaurants are cutting off their nose to spite their face if they have a no hats policy. People go to the game and they wear their hats to the game. Before and/or after the game they may want to stop in for a meal or a few cold ones. If you have a hat on, you can't come in. Seems like bad business to me.
    Cadillac Ranch has (thankfully) been gone for (I think) around 3 years now. It was another bar for a while and has been El Coyote for about a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Is it doing that bad? I mean, I know I would never go there.
    I work across the street. I've heard from several of there employees that business has been bad.
    I think their struggles can also be attributed to the fact that Ruby's, Morton's, Jimmy G's, and Boi Na Braza all are firmly entrenched downtown and the Precint is very close by as well. There really wasn't a market for another high end steak house downtown.
    At the same time, WG has struggled quite a bit as well, which seems to indicate that the market for any kind of higher end restaurant just doesn't exist at the Banks right now.
    All of those places, though, will benefit whenever the next phases of development begin (assuming that ever happens) and there is more housing and retail space.

What's up with the odd seemingly accepted stereotype on here that black dudes can't dress well?

If you want to say it's meant to kept out "lower class/poorer" people then sure, I think that's exactly what it's designed to do. They're are plenty of white people that fit that ball though.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

10. Likes:

Crumbley (03-30-2014), Old school 1983 (03-28-2014)

They call me "chef"

It's a novel and interesting twist on an old standard to suggest that the racism and the use of stereotypes is introduced by the party pointing out the racism but it only serves as a fun alternate universe, fan-fiction style thought exercise. In reality, the stereotypes are being presented by the language of the dress code. It reads like someone sat in a room and thought "What do black people who make sheltered white patrons feel uncomfortable dress and look like?" and then made a list of traits.

12. Likes:

Falls City Beer (03-29-2014), OGB (03-29-2014), pahster (03-28-2014), RedTeamGo! (03-28-2014), Wonderful Monds (03-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    What's up with the odd seemingly accepted stereotype on here that black dudes can't dress well?

If you want to say it's meant to kept out "lower class/poorer" people then sure, I think that's exactly what it's designed to do. They're are plenty of white people that fit that ball though.
    Why do you think that those banned by these places aren't dressed well? I know quite a few people who think wearing baggy pants, boxers worn high, baseball caps, and very long shirts looks stylish. I disagree, but it definitely is a fashion trend, and not just among "lower class" people.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Why does that horrible, horrible Turtle fella from that bad Danny Wahlberg show a few years back keep popping into my head?
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

15. Likes:

westofyou (03-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Actually one is a place where it looks like they're going to do their live pre and post game shows so they may have implemented a dress policy for tv purposes. Who knows with that situation.

You might not think the Budweiser Brewhouse is classy but it's supposed to be more upscale than your average bar (more of a club atmosphere than bar). Not sure of the other place but I'm assuming there might be fine dinning involved.

I just know in it's original intent, there were supposed to be some upscale places people could dine at. It would make sense considering how much money the Cardinal organization put into it.
    If they wanted to portray a classy, upscale environment, they should have called it something other than the Budweiser Brewhouse. I don't think anyone associates Budweiser with class. As a matter of fact, many of the urban poor defendants I represent, who often dress in ways that would violate the dress code, are often caught with open containers of Budweiser tall boys. In the Greater Akron Area, Budweiser is the #1 beer for violating open container laws, followed by Steel Reserve. I suppose it could be worse. They could have included a Busch Bistro or a Natty Light Gastropub.

If you want to run an upscale establishment that caters to a particular crowd, rather than a dress code for the customers, I suggest having an upscale dress code for the staff. For me personally, even if a restaurant doesn't have a stated dress code, if I walk in and the staff is well-dressed and professional, I'll walk right back out if I feel my attire doesn't meet the standards, just because I wouldn't feel comfortable there. On the other hand, if the staff is wearing polo shirts and khakis, they shouldn't expect customers to dress up to enter. I don't know how the staff at some of the establishments in the Ballpark Village will be dressed, but I think a good rule of thumb is that, if you want to be upscale, don't dress your staff like they could be working at Best Buy.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

17. Likes:

OGB (03-29-2014), RedTeamGo! (03-28-2014)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I agree with everything being said about how bad a bar Cadillac Ranch was.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-28-2014), vaticanplum (03-28-2014)

"So Fla Red"

Thug Life would be excluded. Until he tells them he is "The Thug Life"

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Gives me the mental image of you as a big husky guy. Reason? I am thin and as I've gotten older find I rarely wear shorts because I seem to get chilly easily - but my husky friends all wear shorts - all the time, even here in Missouri.

And as for the dress code/tastes posts - I guess I've reached a point I just don't give a darn what someone else's tastes are. Do I like it? Do I feel comfortable in it. Then close your eyes if you don't like it because I am wearing it....
    I'm 6'1" 185 lbs. So not husky. Glasses. Kind of nerdy. Some of the people here have seen me, although most before I lost 20 lbs. I'm getting chilly more as I get older, maybe there is something to that, but mostly upper body not my legs.
    It just never gets that cold here in Florida.

But, I'm with you. My comfort comes first. Then if I like it. Fashion and what other people think...last. Not to mention that I save a ton of money on clothes.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    If they wanted to portray a classy, upscale environment, they should have called it something other than the Budweiser Brewhouse. I don't think anyone associates Budweiser with class. As a matter of fact, many of the urban poor defendants I represent, who often dress in ways that would violate the dress code, are often caught with open containers of Budweiser tall boys. In the Greater Akron Area, Budweiser is the #1 beer for violating open container laws, followed by Steel Reserve. I suppose it could be worse. They could have included a Busch Bistro or a Natty Light Gastropub.

If you want to run an upscale establishment that caters to a particular crowd, rather than a dress code for the customers, I suggest having an upscale dress code for the staff. For me personally, even if a restaurant doesn't have a stated dress code, if I walk in and the staff is well-dressed and professional, I'll walk right back out if I feel my attire doesn't meet the standards, just because I wouldn't feel comfortable there. On the other hand, if the staff is wearing polo shirts and khakis, they shouldn't expect customers to dress up to enter. I don't know how the staff at some of the establishments in the Ballpark Village will be dressed, but I think a good rule of thumb is that, if you want to be upscale, don't dress your staff like they could be working at Best Buy.
    I guess I'm just piping in to agree with whatever Yachtzee says, but yeah, I was going to say that if anybody is trying to take his sweetheart out for a nice dinner at a place called the Budweiser Brewhouse, then he might as well consider it his Last Supper. And I mean that less as a sexist commentary than a note on the conflicting messages they're sending re: their "image" from a name vs. dress code standpoint. (And also possibly a commentary on my feelings on St. Louis.) (Which I've never been to.) I would, however, have a fabulous time choosing my outfit for a visit to a place called the Natty Light Gastropub. People could dress code the hell out of that.

Also, as a sidebar, the idea that comfort and style are mutually exclusive is a MYTH purpetuated by mysterious people who want everyone to look bad.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 03-28-2014 at 10:51 AM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?