Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: World's lamest ballpark village opens next to Busch in St. Louis

They call me "chef"

Re: World's lamest ballpark village opens next to Busch in St. Louis

We have the PBR Piazza in Los Angeles. You need to wear a flannel shirt with a fade haircut, glasses, and a full beard to pass security.

2. Likes:

bounty37h (03-28-2014),Chip R (03-28-2014),Patrick Bateman (03-28-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Also, as a sidebar, the idea that comfort and style are mutually exclusive is a MYTH purpetuated by mysterious people who want everyone to look bad.
    As a sidebar to your sidebar, the real mystery to me is what exactly constitutes "looking bad" and "looking good". I'll admit I have ZERO fashion sense and ZERO willingness to waste time educating myself about it. I do seem to understand that this "looking good" thing is not static, it changes over time and is somehow subject to personal opinions. I seen different people say "it looks good" and "it looks bad" regarding the exact same outfit. What's with that?
    I swear I don't get it, but millions of dollars are made and lost over this.

Maybe George Carlin was right. He usually was. My crap is stuff and everyone else's stuff is crap. (not the exact word).

Now, get off my lawn!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

5. Likes:

westofyou (03-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I seen different people say "it looks good" and "it looks bad" regarding the exact same outfit. What's with that?
    The difference is the person wearing it. (Unless you're talking about just you wearing it, in which case I guess it's just a wide range of taste.)

This is the whole point of all of the (really tangentially related) things I'm saying about this St. Louis fiasco and kind of one of my missions in life. Clothes and and of themselves do not look good or bad, which is what most people mistakenly believe, and which is why things like dress codes are usually ineffective. Clothes are nothing until they are on a person. People are different shapes and are going to look good and feel comfortable in different things because of it.

Unless a person is intentionally trying to go after a specific social group or look, this is why people generally shouldn't dress to trends. Trends are about what the fashion industry has arbitrarily decided looks good for a few months at a time, and usually looks good on 6' rail-thin females to boot. Trends can be good for guidance, but people should really be dressing to themselves, not to an industry. For some people it takes decades to really find out what suits them, but luckily it is not very consuming work, and in the end you come out looking so sexy and so you.

You guys, I always feel ridiculous talking about clothes on this board, but it's like I can't let the opportunity slip by when it crops up. I just want everyone to be happy.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

7. Likes:

Always Red (03-28-2014),Old school 1983 (03-28-2014),paintmered (03-28-2014),RichRed (03-28-2014),westofyou (03-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    We have the PBR Piazza in Los Angeles. You need to wear a flannel shirt with a fade haircut, glasses, and a full beard to pass security.
    We call that "Downtown" here

9. Likes:

pahster (03-28-2014),paintmered (03-28-2014)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The difference is the person wearing it. (Unless you're talking about just you wearing it, in which case I guess it's just a wide range of taste.)

This is the whole point of all of the (really tangentially related) things I'm saying about this St. Louis fiasco and kind of one of my missions in life. Clothes and and of themselves do not look good or bad, which is what most people mistakenly believe, and which is why things like dress codes are usually ineffective. Clothes are nothing until they are on a person. People are different shapes and are going to look good and feel comfortable in different things because of it.

Unless a person is intentionally trying to go after a specific social group or look, this is why people generally shouldn't dress to trends. Trends are about what the fashion industry has arbitrarily decided looks good for a few months at a time, and usually looks good on 6' rail-thin females to boot. Trends can be good for guidance, but people should really be dressing to themselves, not to an industry. For some people it takes decades to really find out what suits them, but luckily it is not very consuming work, and in the end you come out looking so sexy and so you.

You guys, I always feel ridiculous talking about clothes on this board, but it's like I can't let the opportunity slip by when it crops up. I just want everyone to be happy.
    For what it's worth, this thread makes me love RedsZone a little more.

I do speak up on behalf of the oppressed and afflicted among us who happen to fall outside the clothing industry's sizing norms. I represent the vertical aspect of this challenge (being as tall as I am), and I know many who represent the horizontal aspect -- dressing well and discovering style becomes less about trying what works and more about finding what's offered. When you're over 6'4" (which I waved "bye" to in 8th grade), it's an uphill battle in terms of time and money to find affordable looking good clothes.

Just so this post isn't totally devoid of baseball content -- I'm thrilled MLB has finally started adding "T" sized clothing (XLT, 2XLT, etc.) to their repertoire. I own very little Reds apparel because, until now, the clothing just got wider as the size goes up (v. longer). I wish more sports would follow suit.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

11. Likes:

vaticanplum (03-28-2014)

I have found your posts interesting in this thread and have enjoyed reading them.

Before I met my wife I dressed like an idiot. I now occasionaly get compliments on what I am wearing, and I attribute that to my fashionable wife.

13. Likes:

vaticanplum (03-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I have found your posts interesting in this thread and have enjoyed reading them.

Before I met my wife I dressed like an idiot. I now occasionaly get compliments on what I am wearing, and I attribute that to my fashionable wife.
    Yep, my wife saved me from pleated khakis as well as other things... and yes VP I have linen pants

15. Likes:

pahster (03-28-2014),vaticanplum (03-28-2014)

In one non-baseball-related thread on a baseball message board, I've gone from socially outraged to sartorially heartwarmed. I can't love it more, and also, Opening Day can't get here soon enough.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

17. Likes:

Crumbley (03-30-2014)

I was thinking about how people never wore shorts and uniforms were wool and everyone wore a lot of clothes generally. Was everyone just sweating up a storm until recently? Here's my theory: we're all getting so fat, consuming so many calories that we run hotter these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I was thinking about how people never wore shorts and uniforms were wool and everyone wore a lot of clothes generally. Was everyone just sweating up a storm until recently? Here's my theory: we're all getting so fat, consuming so many calories that we run hotter these days.
    Global Warming is People!!

They also wore hats, freaks they were

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, my wife saved me from pleated khakis as well as other things... and yes VP I have linen pants
    Oh man, pleated pants. My wife went on an all-out crusade against those things when we met, and I had never given them a second thought. Also, I'm thin and used to wear baggy clothes to compensate. Best advice my wife gave me was to just wear stuff that fits. Such a simple concept that makes such a big difference.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    If they wanted to portray a classy, upscale environment, they should have called it something other than the Budweiser Brewhouse. I don't think anyone associates Budweiser with class. As a matter of fact, many of the urban poor defendants I represent, who often dress in ways that would violate the dress code, are often caught with open containers of Budweiser tall boys. In the Greater Akron Area, Budweiser is the #1 beer for violating open container laws, followed by Steel Reserve. I suppose it could be worse. They could have included a Busch Bistro or a Natty Light Gastropub.

If you want to run an upscale establishment that caters to a particular crowd, rather than a dress code for the customers, I suggest having an upscale dress code for the staff. For me personally, even if a restaurant doesn't have a stated dress code, if I walk in and the staff is well-dressed and professional, I'll walk right back out if I feel my attire doesn't meet the standards, just because I wouldn't feel comfortable there. On the other hand, if the staff is wearing polo shirts and khakis, they shouldn't expect customers to dress up to enter. I don't know how the staff at some of the establishments in the Ballpark Village will be dressed, but I think a good rule of thumb is that, if you want to be upscale, don't dress your staff like they could be working at Best Buy.
    You're caught up on the name? Seriously? Anheuser-Busch owns the rights to that bar so they can call it what they want. Obviously they're going to have something well known to their name associated with it if they have full rights to that place. I don't see the correlation between having a product of a multi-billion dollar company on there and lack of class. Considering the company and the town it's in have been closely associated with one another since 1876, it's just a familiarity thing here. There are places all over St. Louis that are sponsored by AB.

It looks like the policy will be changed for at least Fox Sports live. Out of the three places that had the dress code, that one made the least sense:

http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/met...ile_touch=true

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    You're caught up on the name? Seriously? Anheuser-Busch owns the rights to that bar so they can call it what they want. Obviously they're going to have something well known to their name associated with it if they have full rights to that place. I don't see the correlation between having a product of a multi-billion dollar company on there and lack of class. Considering the company and the town it's in have been closely associated with one another since 1876, it's just a familiarity thing here. There are places all over St. Louis that are sponsored by AB.
    I think it's a prretty simple concept. Budweiser is cheap beer. Budweiser is what people drink to get loaded or on Tuesday nights at the local bar when it is $7 for a pitcher.

When I hear "Budweiser Brewhouse" I assume it is a large, terrible bar full of either a bunch of drunk frat boys or rednecks.

25. Likes:

M2 (03-28-2014)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Before anyone makes a wisecrack read the comments below the article. Much of the low hanging fruit has been taken.
    "Unwritten rules" comment FTW.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

27. Likes:

Chip R (03-28-2014)

Turn Off Ads?